• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (3 Viewers)

Spent a week in Kauai, to mark the 20th anniversary of my 40th birthday. Got a load of lifers, including some nice endemics:

Zebra Dove
Java Sparrow
Pacific Golden-Plover
Common Myna
Japanese White-eye
White-rumped Shama
Red-crested Cardinal
Spotted Dove
Kauai Elepaio
Kauai Amakihi
White-tailed Tropicbird
Red Junglefowl
Erckel's Francolin
Iiwi
Apapane
Akeke'e
Anianiau
Hawaiin Goose
Nutmeg Mannikin
Hawaiin Duck
Laysan Albatross
Wandering Tattler
Great Frigatebird
Hawaiian Coot
Red-tailed Tropicbird
Red-footed Booby
Black Noddy
Chestnut Munia
Black-footed Albatross
Brown Booby

Kauai is a beautiful place, relatively uncommerciallized, compared to much of Hawaii; a good time.

7 new species in my whirlwind 2.5 day South Texas rarity hunt.

In order of birds seen:

Little Gull
Yellow-faced Grassquit
Whooping Crane
Nelson's Sparrow
White-throated Thrush
Green Parakeet
Crimson-collared Grosbeak

Probably one of the oddest collections of lifers I have gotten on one trip

Also Inshore Bottlenose Dolphin, on the mammal front

Finally I'm allowed to contribute to this thread.

Tengmalm's Owl was the last of thirteen lifers in a week-long trip to central Sweden last week, which included great views of my three most wanted WP birds, Great Grey Owl, Ural Owl and Hawk Owl, and Siberian Jays feeding out of my hand.

Finally I'm allowed to contribute to this thread.

Tengmalm's Owl was the last of thirteen lifers in a week-long trip to central Sweden last week, which included great views of my three most wanted WP birds, Great Grey Owl, Ural Owl and Hawk Owl, and Siberian Jays feeding out of my hand.

Wow four owls out of thirteen lifers. That's sweet! We went on a Visa run/vacation and I got about 35 lifers--Two that stand out were the Swallow-tailed Kite and the Three-wattled Bellbird.

Wow four owls out of thirteen lifers. That's sweet! We went on a Visa run/vacation and I got about 35 lifers--Two that stand out were the Swallow-tailed Kite and the Three-wattled Bellbird.

Five actually, Sue :t: Pygmy Owl was also new for me and the sixth owl seen on the trip, Eagle Owl, I had only seen once before, 8 years ago.

New lifers in Florida

A trip to Florida gave me 5 new life birds, in order seen:

Swallow-tailed Kite
Roseate Spoonbill
White-eyed Vireo
Wilson's Plover
Florida Scrub-Jay

Good birding,

Doug Faulder
Edmonton, ALberta
Canada

1st summer White Stork (257) on the 22nd was then eclipsed by a beautiful Short Toed Lark (258) on Monday, the first record for Lancashire

My last five life birds were:

In the Sierra Madre Mountains, Northern Philippines, March 2011
Whiskered Pitta
Furtive Flycatcher
Philippine Tailorbird

In Laguna, Philippines, April 2011
Chinese Francolin
Chinese Goshawk

Five actually, Sue :t: Pygmy Owl was also new for me and the sixth owl seen on the trip, Eagle Owl, I had only seen once before, 8 years ago.

Blimey, that does sound good!

Last weekend I got to see a young Night Heron down on the Thames estuary, which was also my first proper experience of twitching since there was a line of birders with scopes on the sea wall watching it and people rushing over to get to see it. Was great to see the Heron though my mate and I both wanted to get away from all the people and were much happier when we moved to a more peaceful area... and that was only a minor twitch with small groups of people! It certainly doesn't seem to be an activity for people watch birds to relax and who want to get away from it all! :-O

Also, on Monday I walked out across my patch and out to Little Baddow where I finally got to see my first Yellow Wagtails! Absolutely gorgeous little birds, much more so than I'd thought they'd be. Spent a very happy time watching a group flying around a cabbage field and saw one really close-to when it perched in a tree nearby - amazing just how yellow they are! I'm a huge fan of wagtails generally and these took the qualities of the grey and pied and rolled them in with warbler-like looks to make a kind of super-wagtail! :t: |:D|

24 April 2010, Bobolink (348) in Lillington, NC, I was on a Spring bird count with a friend and we saw a field full of them. I bet I've passed fields like that in the past many times and have never taken the time to stop to see what I could see. I was surprised by the number of new birds I've seen with this man because he knew where to look for them.

Last edited:
Mine has to be the female Osprey at Loch Garten Scotland RSPB bird hide April 2011, she was sitting on the nest eating a Rainbow Trout, then two males came to check her out.

A fabulous sight, so exciting.

I have been in Egypt since April 19th and will leave on May 6th with the potential of adding more Lifers. Total lifers so far on this trip is 13, the last being 5 Crab Plovers seen from a boat on Mahabis Island, part of the Hamata Islands.

John

Yesterday's lifer was Blackstart on the way to St Katherine's monastery, Sinai. Todays Lifer is Tristram's Starling near the monastery. Sadly no Sinai Rosefinch.

John

Last edited:
Lesser Crested Tern to conclude a trip through Morocco with some 36 lifers and plenty of interesting taxa to await the inevitable armchair ticks... though the best bird was of course Bald Ibis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back