• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (5 Viewers)

I'm still relatively new at this (4 months or so), so new lifers are pretty common for me. I've had two in the past two days:

Yellow-billed magpie
Northern Flicker (red-shafted)

Both in Sacramento, California. I'd been looking for the magpie for months and was thrilled to finally see one, and the flicker is one of the most gorgeous birds I've seen yet.

2 Week trip to Nepal resulted in 177 lifers, latest was Fire-Breasted Flowerpecker.

During the last days I got news that there was a Dark-eyed Junco very close to my hometown (first for Belgium). Rushed there the first day I was home, and got that one as a bonus for my WP list, :)

My most recent 'life' bird was a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker on 28th March at The Vyne, in Hampshire. It was particularly relevant because I have a podcast and last week's episode was on Woodpeckers! It's a shame I didn't see it a week earlier because i could have included the sighting in the episode! But I was pleased to see it, nonetheless! :)

Purple-naped Spiderhunter was the underwhelming last one of a great bunch in Vietnam, with good views of all the localised laughingthrushes targeted (including Golden-winged).

No thanks to our Vietnam Birding and its bird guide though (don't ask).

I've added two life birds since last summer, when I last posted in this thread.

#521: Boreal Owl, seen on 10/4/2017 at Hidden Valley in Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado, while tagging along with a local bird researcher who bands the owls there every fall.

#522: Garganey, seen on 12/4/2017, a rarity that showed up at Waller Park in Santa Maria, California (north of Santa Barbara).

Photos from both encounters have been added to my gallery here.

4 lifers on a 12-day trip (21 March - 1 April) with the Namibia Bird Club to the south of Namibia. Hot and very dry. Saw Cinnamon-breasted Warbler, Namaqua Warbler, Barlow's Lark, and Karoo Eremomela

Purple-naped Spiderhunter was the underwhelming last one of a great bunch in Vietnam, with good views of all the localised laughingthrushes targeted (including Golden-winged).

No thanks to our Vietnam Birding and its bird guide though (don't ask).

I had to scratch my head over that one until I remembered it's the bird FKA Purple-naped Sunbird, which I think is a pretty smart-looking thing!

Would you say that Golden-winged Laughingthrush is do-able independently?

Bittern!

Saw my first bittern at RSPB Minsmere today in the aptly named Bittern Hide.
Put a better pic on the gallery :) But my camera is just a cheapy!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    389.2 KB · Views: 47

Users who are viewing this thread

Back