• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (3 Viewers)

Hmm... How it's going? Former Sylvia cantillans moltonii is now Curruca subalpina, Moltoni's Warbler? And Sylvia cantillans cantillans is now Curruca cantillans, Eastern Subalpine Warbler? I'm little bit confuse... :brains:

There's a summary in a post on the taxonomy forum. Basically there are now 3 species and thanks to the wonderful rules of taxonomy the species name "subalpina" now applies to the only one of the 3 that isn't called "subalpine" in English.

IOC made the split on 6 May, see their updates diary entry.

Doesn't affect me as I've never seen any of them...

There's a summary in a post on the taxonomy forum. Basically there are now 3 species and thanks to the wonderful rules of taxonomy the species name "subalpina" now applies to the only one of the 3 that isn't called "subalpine" in English.

IOC made the split on 6 May, see their updates diary entry.

Doesn't affect me as I've never seen any of them...

Thank you. So my Subalpine change to Eastern Subalpine (albostriata). But no new ticks.

Did my belated birthday big day today, with 82 species seen. Migrant levels were abysmal, with a lot of "expected" migrants completely absent. I had 15 species of warbler over almost 12 hours, in two of the best migrant hotspots in the state. Last weekend I managed 12 species of warbler in 3 hours, at just a couple of local spots.

BUT...I finally was able to see Connecticut Warbler, the last "northern" parulid I needed for my life list, and a major target for the spring. Nice to finally connect with this bird without having to fend off a horde of mosquitos in some bog!

LeConte's Sparrow, after living along its migration route for 21 years without so much as hearing it. Worst (best?) nemesis bird I have ever had. Last year we even drove to North Dakota over Memorial Day to find one, and got skunked. That is when I wrote a poem to it and acknowledged its utter mastery over our lives. That did the trick, apparently.

When we did get it, we had just crossed paths, up in Sax-Zim Bog, with Bruce Beehler, co-author of the PNG field guide, who trudged out into the grass with us and helped us finally find one.

Last edited:
My last lifer was a Western Grebe. Popped up and hung for a short while. Belle Fourche National Wildlife Refuge, Belle Fourche, South Dakota. Beautiful bird.

Last edited:
Stejneger's Stonechat for my IOC world list, thanks to looking at a thread on here and realising that whta I saw in Hong Kong many years ago was not the run of the mill Siberian Stonechat.

Well, I had 3 just yesterday after birding for 30+ years. Upland Sandpiper. Sharp Tailed Grouse and a Western Meadowlark. Late afternoon/evening up at the reservoir in Belle Fourche, SD. The meadows are vast. Absolutely beautiful up there.

On 8 July I saw my first Common Mergansers - a mother and her young ones floating and fishing on the river behind where I am staying this summer.

Something in Australia.....with the grandkids but just too busy to bird, if you can believe that. Just out of the corner of my eye did I keep up on it.

A British 'lifer' in the impressive form of the Caspian Tern at Frampton Marsh on Friday.

I have spent 50 years birding now and always hoped to find one of these myself, either flying past Spurn in my youth or dropping in to one of the Leics/Rutland reservoirs in the last 30 years but no luck and so finally twitched one.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back