• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (8 Viewers)

Jealous...I tried for the Wisconsin Garganey but it was effectively a 2 day wonder.

I don't think there have ever been as many Garganeys recorded in a single year in recent memory as 2022.
As soon as I saw the report online, I jumped in the car, New York traffic be damned.

Unfortunately, I hadn't realized it was about 20 degrees colder at the coast that it was inland here in PA. :eek:

Despite a rather atrocious beginning to my Florida trip, which coincided with a Tropical Storm moving through, I was able to get two lifers yesterday:

Gray-headed Swamphen
Gray Kingbird

Both at Dolphin Mall, near the hotel I was staying at. At least I knocked off a nemesis from my last Floridian adventure.

Prompted by a mate asking for help sorting them out I have just realised that the 'Rufous Antpitta' we saw in southern Ecuador three years ago was actually
Equatorial Antpitta - a life tick.

Just back from Florida...hopefully start working on my trip report soon.

10 more ABA birds, 8 of which are lifers, as well as two non ABA-listed exotics. And 6 new herps! Successful despite early June being a pretty abyssmal time of year for birding in south Florida!

My latest lifer was Gran Canaria Blue Chaffinch at the Inagua Reserve, Gran Canaria, Canaries, Spain on Saturday 25th & Sunday 26th June with eight recoded during two visits over the two days. First five pics attached.

Edit - I have added a comparison photo of Tenerife Blue Chaffinch (pic 6). Gran Canaria has a blackish forehead band & whiter wingbars against blacker wings as seen in pic 4. I have also added pics of the sonograms from the Merlin Bird App

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Gran Canaria Blue Chaffinch 010 - Copy.jpg
    Gran Canaria Blue Chaffinch 010 - Copy.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • Gran Canaria Blue Chaffinch 009 - Copy.jpg
    Gran Canaria Blue Chaffinch 009 - Copy.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
  • Gran Canaria Blue Chaffinch 006 - Copy.jpg
    Gran Canaria Blue Chaffinch 006 - Copy.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • AAA.jpg
    AAA.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • Gran Canaria Blue Chaffinch 012 - Copy.jpg
    Gran Canaria Blue Chaffinch 012 - Copy.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • Tenerife Blue Chaffinch Comparison Shot.jpg
    Tenerife Blue Chaffinch Comparison Shot.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • Gran Canaria Blue Chaffinch Song (reduced).jpg
    Gran Canaria Blue Chaffinch Song (reduced).jpg
    686.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Tenerife Blue Chaffinch Song (reduced).jpg
    Tenerife Blue Chaffinch Song (reduced).jpg
    764.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I toss a riddle to all of you about my most recent life bird. :unsure: The sighting was on a cloudy and cool afternoon on July 2, 2022 in the dry forest of western Ecuador - Manabi Province. The rainy season ended at least a month ago, and most of the trees are in 'conserve water' mode. Ecuadorian and Gartered Trogons were feeding on caterpillars, as were White-browed Gnatcatchers and Southern Beardless Tyrannulets. Collared Antshrikes and Necklaced Spinetails entertained me as they darted, scolded and hissed at each other in the scrub near ground level. A Laughing Falcon flew over with something in its talons, and I walked to an open area in hopes that the raptor had landed. (No falcon.) There in easy sight was the bird, as if to say, 'Well it's about time you noticed me.'

Migratory bird season is finished - most likely all of the birds that were on vacation are back in the northern hemisphere... So I preface this by stating that although it looked a lot like the migratory Black-billed Cuckoo that visited from Feb-April, it was not... Many of you know the Black-billed Cuckoo - a lifer for me back in February when several chose this refuge as a place to hide for the winter. This species has had 20 eBird reports in this province, and eight of those sightings were in this refugio...
P1260206 apr 28  black billed cuckoo.jpg

This July 2nd "new-to-me" bird looked much like the Black-billed shown above. It was definitely not the Squirrel Cuckoo (common here) or the Striped Cuckoo (also common here) and it wasn't the Gray-capped Cuckoo (it's elusive but around)...

I had studied the Yellow-billed Cuckoo five hours earlier before seeing this bird, because a friend wrote from Mississippi to say that a Yellow-billed had just slammed into their house near the River. I reviewed the stats for Y-billed for Manabi Ecuador ( 18 reports for the country, and zero for this province) and sent her the trivia... and five hours later I was staring at a cuckoo that looked like that Yellow-billed beauty.

The bird ignored me for over an hour as I admired and photographed it from several angles. When the late-afternoon cyclists careened along the spiderweb of trails in 'their' park, the bird ignored them as well. I said, 'Goodbye' to all and hurried home to begin my research...

For the next 24 hours, various people inspected and analyzed many images and videos before the identity was confirmed. Do you know - without going to reference material, which South American Cuckoo this is? :)
P1480114 la tomatera 3 38 pm   which cuckoo july 2.jpg
P1470814 la tomatera july 2 rock city 3 22 pm VIP CUCKOO.jpg

P1470760 la tomatera july 2 rock city 3 22 pm VIP CUCKOO.jpg
I continue to thank the Universe, as I am indeed blessed by birds. (Many of you probably feel the same way.)

The eBird checklist shows more images/videos, and of course the identity of this beautiful bird. https://ebird.org/checklist/S114281560

With that I wish you all a good day/evening, and may you soon see your next life bird!
Lisa

My last lifer was a Blue Grosbeak in Puerto Rico on March 31, 2022. (Cerro Gordo National Park) More are coming to Puerto Rico than before.
Wow; eBird stats for show three Blue Grosbeak sightings for Ecuador, the very southern edge of its range. In early July I looked at the stats of the Pearly-breasted Cuckoo (only four sightings here) and then five hours later was staring at that bird for over an hour. I am about to leave for that same refugio - wouldn't it be great if the Grosbeak were hiding there? Have a good day, everyone, and may special birds bless your day!

Wow; eBird stats for show three Blue Grosbeak sightings for Ecuador, the very southern edge of its range. In early July I looked at the stats of the Pearly-breasted Cuckoo (only four sightings here) and then five hours later was staring at that bird for over an hour. I am about to leave for that same refugio - wouldn't it be great if the Grosbeak were hiding there? Have a good day, everyone, and may special birds bless your day!
I am always at awe at how these little birds travel so far! I'm looking forward to migration soon in Puerto Rico! You also have a blessed special bird day too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back