• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your most surprising omission (1 Viewer)

Will K

Too well-known member
United Kingdom
What’s the bird that you should have seen many times by now, but it’s never happened? I.e., a bird that’s common to your area, but, for some reason, you’ve never seen one.

For me, I’ll go with the fact that I’ve never seen a wild owl of any kind.

Despite both growing up and still living on the North Wales coast I've still yet to see a Puffin here...

This is with regular trips to South Stack on Anglesey. Maybe this year will be the one!

The birding jargon for this is bogey bird. Mine is curlew (not common by any stretch of the definition but I definitely should have seen it by now).

I have yet to properly see a Woodcock in the UK. I've heard them roding over my tent when camping, but when I got out they were gone. I think I flushed one some morning, but I'm not 100% sure that it wasn't a snipe.

When camping in the USA I've heard Great Horned Owl so many times, sometimes right above my tent. But as soon as I open the zip of my tent it is silent/ gone. Similar story with Boobook in Australia. I miss many of the nocturnal birds because I don't like to disturb them with a massive search light.

I've been birdwatching for so any years there's not much that is moderately common that I haven't seen, but some years produce odd absences - not a single Bullfinch last year.

I've been birdwatching for so any years there's not much that is moderately common that I haven't seen, but some years produce odd absences - not a single Bullfinch last year.
Have become quite scarce in the SEast, only saw one last year and none the previous year!

I feel locally on both the bird and mammal front I don't have any weird misses, but from the herp front I really feel like I should have gotten a Fox Snake by now.

The commonest two birds I don't yet have a decent digital photograph of in Britain are Black Stork and Icterine Warbler: Black Storks seem to be easier abroad but Ickies just seem to be very difficult anywhere these days!

John

Bell's Vireo (lifer) and Wilson's Warbler (state bird), there's reports of multiple of wintering individuals, but whenever I go to the sites, with exact GPS locations in some cases, the birds aren't there...

I'm going to say Golden Eagle, I've not seen one. . I'm in Indiana and their are an abuntance of Bald Eagles. So maybe I've seen a Golden but confusing it with an Imature Bald Eagle just not sure.
BTW The Bald Eagles are right outside my window when I'm having my coffee in the morning,

I feel locally on both the bird and mammal front I don't have any weird misses, but from the herp front I really feel like I should have gotten a Fox Snake by now.
Actually glancing at my state list, its probably Lapland Longspur and Cattle Egret. The latter have been spotted just out of town on occasion and they are hardly cryptic. It's just a matter of never getting around to chase them, especially since they are usually out in the middle of nowhere.

The former is just lack of effort, because driving empty farm fields in winter is kind of boring :p

In the neotropics, where I have spent more time birding than anywhere else, by far, I do have some big bogey birds. Notably, off the top of my head:
Slaty-backed Forest-Falcon
Tiny Hawk
Cerulean-capped Manakin
Solitary Tinamou
Yellow Cardinal
I recently finally saw Patagonian Tinamou which was also a long standing nemesis.

In Europe there's still a lot for me to see so no bogeys but most glaring omissions for where I live are things like Woodcock, Pygmy Owl, Tengmalm's Owl, Hazel Grouse, Western Capercaillie, Corncrake, and Three-toed Woodpecker.

In North America, my most glaring omissions are all in the E US/Canada and are largely pretty laughable - E Screech-Owl, American Tree Sparrow, E Whip-or-will, and similar. Ouch!

I've not birded enough in Africa, Asia, or Oceana to have any real "omissions / bogey birds"

In Europe probably Hazel Grouse.
Black Bittern and American Barn Owl are the most widespread landbirds I haven't seen.
From the families: Albatrosses and Penguins.

In the neotropics, where I have spent more time birding than anywhere else, by far, I do have some big bogey birds. Notably, off the top of my head:
Slaty-backed Forest-Falcon
No trip to the Neotropics is complete without another try for Slaty-backed Forest Falcon...
The commonest two birds I don't yet have a decent digital photograph of in Britain are Black Stork and Icterine Warbler: Black Storks seem to be easier abroad but Ickies just seem to be very difficult anywhere these days!
Icterine Warbler is definitely less photogenic than Melodious (locally, I could get pictures of 2 out of 3 Melodious Warblers, but the Icterine Warblers that breed here require a lot of patience).

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back