• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Worst Blockers (1 Viewer)

Worldwide, I've no idea as there must be many species that I haven't seen which are locally common and I have no idea of the total population. I suppose using Birdlife Threatened Birds volume I could work it out but it would take a lot of effort.

Ian, if you're interested in finding out, one thing you could do is add your list to BUBO listing (it'll take a while given that you're nudging 8000, but bear with me), and then use their "top targets" button. What this actually tells you is which species you haven't seen which have been seen by the highest number of other BUBOers, so not quite the most common species, but arguably as good a measure of blockage/tartiness/whatever the correct term might be. Cooper's Hawk and Hairy Woodpecker head my list, which with 5 trips to the US under my belt is pretty inexcusable. Even Jon Hornbuckle's 9000+ list has quite a few interesting absentees (Houbara Bustard and Spotted Sandgrouse for starters) so you might be in for a surprise if you give it a try.

Ian, if you're interested in finding out, one thing you could do is add your list to BUBO listing (it'll take a while given that you're nudging 8000, but bear with me), and then use their "top targets" button. What this actually tells you is which species you haven't seen which have been seen by the highest number of other BUBOers, so not quite the most common species, but arguably as good a measure of blockage/tartiness/whatever the correct term might be. Cooper's Hawk and Hairy Woodpecker head my list, which with 5 trips to the US under my belt is pretty inexcusable. Even Jon Hornbuckle's 9000+ list has quite a few interesting absentees (Houbara Bustard and Spotted Sandgrouse for starters) so you might be in for a surprise if you give it a try.

Agree that is one useful function.

Funnily enough I also looked at that a week or two back and was surprised at how many (ok only a few) were on my lowly 600+ list that JH hadn't seen - two more were Siberian Jay and Desert Sparrow ;)

I guess it just emphasises the point of how important it is to 'clean up' on foreign birding trips - a trip to Scandinivia for just one species makes that one pricey cost-per-bird trip ...

We've all got 'em. Some are tough ones that just never seem to happen. Some are downright embarrassing. But what better place than the listing forum to include a list of those that have eluded our lists?

I'll start, though I'm sure I'll add more the more I think about it.

Pine Warbler. Where the hell are you? This is getting ridiculous.
Harlequin Duck. Regional? Yes. Inexcusable based on my past geography? Yes.
Northern Bobwhite. I've accepted that I'm never going to see this bird.
Red Knot. It's knot meant to be.
Northern Pygmy-Owl. I'm pretty sure this bird is made up.
Calliope Hummingbird. Grr. Been so close.
Northern Shrike.
Townsend's Solitaire.
Hermit Warbler.
Golden-winged Warbler. Many wouldn't consider this a blocker because it's relatively rare. But I've banded countless Brewster's hybrids, and have even seen 2 Lawrence's crossbacks in the wild. Where's mom/dad??

Alex, how in the world is Pine Warbler a "nemesis bird"?! ;)

Golden-winged are uncommon here in upstate NY. But I have seen them the last couple years with little effort. Awesome birds! Hard to find birds though!

Alex, how in the world is Pine Warbler a "nemesis bird"?! ;)

Golden-winged are uncommon here in upstate NY. But I have seen them the last couple years with little effort. Awesome birds! Hard to find birds though!

Pine Warbler is shameful, truly.

eBird launched a similar functionality recently, as well (under "Explore Data"). And it's coupled with the maps of sightings function. I've been a fan of BUBO Listing for years, but the interactivity and scientific value of eBird made it a must, and it intrinsically does everything BUBO did for me anyway.

Thankfully my worst ones have been ticked off in recent months (firecrest, yellow-legged gull, semipalmated plover).

FINALLY saw semipalmated plover in Florida, but not until countless piping and Wilson's showed up. Been a big nemesis bird for me all over the US.

In California I guess Wilson's phalarope is my biggest one. There's also California gnatcatcher but those are not common so not quite eligible.

In UK yellow wagtail is the commonest bogey bird of mine I think.

Wryneck, Cattle Egret or Cory's Shearwater plus Black Grouse and Capercaillie. I've tried for all of them. Blockers in the sense that they keep my list lower than it could be. I did get Hudwit recently so only Little Whimbrel and American Bittern as genuine blockers that I should have but haven't due to historical apathy. I'd go for both these days.

My worst blockers are

Spruce Grouse
Brewer's Blackbird
Orange-crowned Warbler (likely seen, difficult to ID)
Northern Goshawk
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher
Nelson's Sparrow

None of these are rare in my area but I haven't got them yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back