• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yucatan Birding Sites...new suggestions? (1 Viewer)

Julian H

Hi All,

I will be returning to Tulum in late November again this year. My report from 2017 is on a previous thread.
I plan to bird Coba, Muyil, FCP again and was hoping to explore a few other spots.

Would anyone have any suggestions for areas about an hour from Tulum that may be worth trying? Also we plan to do some snorkelling and heard Akamul is good??

Thanks in advance.

Julian

Difficult with the distance limits you add. If you have not already, you need to visit the north coast, the Chichén area and Calakmul, but those are all better visited from other locations.

Niels

I am not sure this location is quite inside your limit of one hour: between Valledolid and FPC is a village called Senor. NE of that is another village called Chanchen Comandante. Beyond that was an area with strongly disturbed forest and fields, but it is one of the areas where I have seen the largest number of Yucatan Parrot.

Another location that is more well known but probably also beyond your one hour limit: https://ebird.org/barchart?r=L1917167&yr=all&m= (there is a fee to visit, but have been worth it)

Niels

Niels

I can probably expand my radius ���� it was meant to limit what info I got but I may do a bit more exploring. The town of Francisco oh Ma (?) en route to Coba was said to be good by another birder. I didn't have time but it looks promising.

I still need Mottled Owl and the nightjars so hoping to try and get those.

I hit Punta Laguna last year and had a good time...not as buddy as reports led me to believe but great looks at Spider Monkey and Grey-breasted Chat on the road out.

Thanks as always for the input!

Last edited:
An older thread mentions a forest east of Valledolid for the nightjars if I recall correctly.

I heard the owl while staying at Hacienda Coba, just outside Coba town

Niels

Ps Check ebird for recent observations.

Thanks all...I heard that Xochen near Valladolid is also a good site with a breakdown of species similar to FCP.

I'm targeting nightbirds this time, Poorwill, Nightjar and Mottled Owl but it will require some early mornings since staying overnight at those spots isn't logistical given my circumstances.

Cinnamon Hummingbird, Spotted Rail and Ridgeway's Swallow and Laughing Falcon are also needed so will be checking eBird for that too.
The lake at Coba for the rail was quite high and none were seen at the western end where the reports suggest going.

I actually never birded the Tulum ruins, which will be on my list to do this time....anyone have any tips for that (other than get there early!) :)

Muyil was consistently great and bird, so I will hit that a few times and will post a report in due course.

Again, thanks for all the input - much appreciated!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back