• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yucatan in September (1 Viewer)

So, you made it out of Calakmul alive, eh? What did you see on the entry road? Ocellated Turkeys, no doubt. Was the toll system problematic?

Steve

Yes Steve.
We ended up only doing two nights at Hotel Puerta Calakmul, but enjoyed our going up and down that road (it has virtually no potholes at the moment, but still narrow). One morning we had a guide with us. In total we saw the first 5 of the new species there, plus other things including the Antthrush and a deer type. We missed on Agami Heron, seemingly not the best time of year for it being at the 27km ponds.

It cost us pesos112 x 2 for being on the road (per day) and another 96 for accessing the ruins. With the access only being good for the same day, that seems a bit excessive.

Niels

Last edited:
That figures close to $30 for two? Yes, that does seem high. It is a very long, paved road though. Possibly the Mexican government is cutting back on funding. After traveling that far to the southern Yucatan, it would be hard to turn back even when confronted with those figures. They are probably counting on that!

Steve

One question: does anyone know anything about the species distribution of bats in the bat cave near Calakmul? I think we probably saw three different species (and one albino of one of them), but have no idea which.

Niels

I'm one who can't be of any help in that regard, Niels. Our guide, Fernando, must have told us; he spoke some English, as I remember and had a good supply of facts to relate. I can't find in my notes anything about which species were there.
I assume we went to the same place. Does this photo of the cave we visited look familiar? It was at the bottom of a pretty deep and wide cenote. Here is an excerpt from a trip report I never posted:
Several minutes after the flight of the initial group of bats flew from the hole, the main colony began to emerge. They not only poured out of the cave entrance but every crevice in the limestone walls. In less than 30 seconds, a funnel of bats began to form as they swarmed, circled and ascended; hundreds and hundreds of bats in an accelerating number coming from every possible direction. The bat funnel created its own breeze and their aroma tainted the air. Fernando covers his mouth with a bandanna to avoid breathing in a bacterial infection, (histoplasmosis), that the bats can pass on. Bats continued to stream out of the cenote in a wild, swirling mass, estimated at close to 6 million bats of 14 species. We were there, dodging bats and taking pictures in the dim light for at least 15 minutes, and still they streamed out. They would continue to emerge for hours, our guide told us, each species at different times. We leave them to their nightly exodus and drive back towards camp.

The number of species must have come from Fernando. An amazing experience!

Steve

Attachments

• Bat Cave.jpg
    Bat Cave.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 62
Truly amazing, and yes, same place. Some people mentioned raptors trying to get a meal in, but by the time we were there, none of those were present. (we did see bat falcon the following day, but not there).

Niels

We saw 91 species on a trip that was planned to maximize forest birds and did not include any stops by the coast, for example. I am happy reaching that number for this trip. Realistically, the trip included about 6 days for birding, but of those about 2½ was mainly spent driving between places, with only incidental birding along the way.

Niels

Truly amazing, and yes, same place. Some people mentioned raptors trying to get a meal in, but by the time we were there, none of those were present. (we did see bat falcon the following day, but not there).

Niels

We saw a Bat Falcon and heard Brown Jay, both after the bats, according to Fernando.

Steve

We saw 91 species on a trip that was planned to maximize forest birds and did not include any stops by the coast, for example. I am happy reaching that number for this trip. Realistically, the trip included about 6 days for birding, but of those about 2½ was mainly spent driving between places, with only incidental birding along the way.

Niels

Did you get to visit Muyil or Coba?

Steve

Muyil. They wanted more money for doing the trail down to the laguna than for entry into the ruins, and we were down to less than one hour available time (we needed to get to the airport) so did not do that trail. Some side trails within the ruins were nice. I have at least one photo from there I want to share at a later time.

Niels

Steve,
I took this photo remembering you. These two are actually brand new, they had found that the originals were getting degraded by being visible, so they were restored and re-buried behind these copies.

Notable birds in that area was Black-headed Trogon, Bentbill, Swainson's Warbler (first for me, and I needed to check some things before accepting it for my self), Yellow-olive Flycatcher, Greenish Elainia, and a short distance from there towards Tulum, a Gray Hawk on a power pole.

Niels

Attachments

• Muyil new P1130047.JPG
    Muyil new P1130047.JPG
    309.2 KB · Views: 54
I'm glad then that I got a picture of the original carving. Thanks for the pic!
Though there is a strong population of Swainson's breeding locally, Liz saw her first in the Yucatan as well. I like the call of the Bentbill; do you remember hearing it?

Steve

Yes, heard more Bentbill than we saw. They were in Calakmul and Vigia Chico as well.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back