• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Yucatan, Mexico ID Help (1 Viewer)

gjfernandes

I took this shot in mid March just south of Playa del Carmen. The colors don't quite match up with my first choice...Tropical Kingbird. Second choice would be Couch's Kingbird. I've looked in my Howell and Webb but can't seem to get a good match. I need help.

Attachments

• IMG_1267.jpg
    IMG_1267.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 152

rockfowl

Mark Andrews
Hi There,

I don't know what this is but it isn't a Kingbird. The short tail amongst other things suggest something along the lines of perhaps a Euphonia or even a Tananger, maybe an immature male?...Yellow-throated? though this is a wild guess!

Last edited:

gjfernandes

Yucatan ID

This is a Yellow Throated Euphonia I got on the same day. They don't really look much alike. Is there that much difference between a male and female?

Attachments

• IMG_1260.jpg
    IMG_1260.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 102

Mark Harper

World Birder
Thanks Mark. Could you give me some of the identification markers that led you to id'ing this bird as a YT Euphonia.

Shape, particularly short tail, leads to Euphonia conclusion and of the species which occur in Mexico Yellow-throated female is the only one on which I would expect to see that much white on the underparts.

Birdingcraft

Shape, particularly short tail, leads to Euphonia conclusion and of the species which occur in Mexico Yellow-throated female is the only one on which I would expect to see that much white on the underparts.

I agree; note the gray on the throat as well. In the Yucatan, the only other Euphonia is Scrub which does not show so much white on the underparts.

Users who are viewing this thread