• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yuma, AZ Myiarchus audio (1 Viewer)

tom baxter

This sounded unusual for Ash-throated Flycatcher which is the only expected Myiarchus right now according to Ebird. I don't know that this is truly the case, since the more popular birding areas in central and SE AZ are loaded with reports of BCFL right now. I found this recording and it sounds close, but can anyone confirm or deny that this is a Brown-crested in the recording?

https://www.xeno-canto.org/387807

Attachments

• Ash Throated Or Brown Crested.m4a
    197.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Not familiar with bird sounds in North America but my 2 cents here is that it sounds better for Brown-crested Flycatcher. I find the call of Ash-throated is harsher.

Thank you, I thought that as well. I have only ever heard whip calls from BCFL and don't know the variation in calls well. I also only have 12 months of experience in the West with Ash-throated. I have received mixed results on the identity of this audio. Any one else more experienced and confident here?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back