• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Zeiss 10x54 HT impressions today (1 Viewer)

etc

GrtXDJ1.jpg

ounPSvs.jpg

What a brilliant weekend here in DC area and what a wonderful companion is the 10x54 HT on days like this in the nation's capitol.

I am continuously impressed with the 10x54 HT's brilliant picture -- it's lively, vibrant, life-like, razor-sharp, with very neutral colors. 10x is much easier to hold steady than I thought. Not much harder than 8x42 but the trade off is definitely worth in terms of more resolution. It just reaches farther out than an 8x.

I wish the eyecups had more tension or click-stops. Not sure about the non-lockable diopter knob. It hasn't given me any issues.

Later on I did some birding in a more rural area. It's far easier to ID with 10x than with 8x. However, 10x54 HT feels twice as heavy as a compact 8x42 model.

Omega42

United Kingdom
GrtXDJ1.jpg

ounPSvs.jpg

What a brilliant weekend here in DC area and what a wonderful companion is the 10x54 HT on days like this in the nation's capitol.

I am continuously impressed with the 10x54 HT's brilliant picture -- it's lively, vibrant, life-like, razor-sharp, with very neutral colors. 10x is much easier to hold steady than I thought. Not much harder than 8x42 but the trade off is definitely worth in terms of more resolution. It just reaches farther out than an 8x.

I wish the eyecups had more tension or click-stops. Not sure about the non-lockable diopter knob. It hasn't given me any issues.

Later on I did some birding in a more rural area. It's far easier to ID with 10x than with 8x. However, 10x54 HT feels twice as heavy as a compact 8x42 model.
Regarding the diopter, I thought you pulled it towards you to set it and back in once set, thus locking it?

etc

It is certainly a unique design. The diopter setting is something you set once and then forget about it. If the unit is used by multiple people, then it's constantly reset. I am blind as a bat but have identical myopia in both eyes which is helpful, my diopter is set to zero.

The important thing is, the diopter value at infinity is generous, I estimate goes to about 7 diopters. I am at -5 so I still have room left over.

wsrose

United States
That's near the top of the list on my next purchases. I love the SF 10x42 but I'm looking forward to the HT for the better light transmission.

etc

IMO, 10x rhymes really well with 50+mm objectives. I realize many have 10x42 and such. But exit pupil is smaller, harder to hold steady I think. They hit a home run with the 10x54mm configuration. It's just right. And the 2mm makes a big difference in weight, Swarovski 10x56 looks a lot more gigantic than Zeiss 10x54.

etc

I am pretty sure 10x is the limit of my handholding abilities.

15x is tripod territory. Not that I would turn down a 15x if offered.

CSG

United States
Probably make for nice astro use if mounted. I stick with my 8x42 HTs as my favorite all arounder.

etc

Follow-up:
I am continuously impressed with just how stable the 10x54 configuration is. For years, I avoided anything in 10x thinking the image would be too shaky and unusable. It's not any less stable than a 8x42. The larger 54mm objective likely contributes to stability, as does weight.

Between 8x42 SF and 10x54 HT, I usually grab 10x54 HT as it's more impressive.

Admittedly, an 8x42 is more practical due to weight and dimensions and still doing 90% of what 10x54 does.

casscade

The 54mm ht binoculars are two I would love to try, they’re 2 of the few I haven’t tried that really interest me. Questions I have is does the 8x54 have softer edges than the 8x42 ht, or do they have the same sweet spot, same applies to the 10x54 vs the 10x56fl or 10x42 ht. I’ve been wanting another 8x42ht but these 54’s look impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread