• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ZEISS 15x 60 B/GA Binoculars? (2 Viewers)

sidpost

United States
How do these ZEISS 15x 60 B/GA compare to modern binoculars of similar power? How does one know whether they are looking at the newer late-90's thru 2002 versions or the older ones? What is a fair market value these days? I'm looking for something to view distant terrestrial objects (think ships and distant sheep) from a tripod. I should note I'm thinking about Leica Ultravid 12x50 or 10x50 options as well which are currently advertised for $2,000 USD for Christmas sales.

Thanks,
Sid

Hi Sid,

I have them all.
Comparing the good old Zeiss with the Conquest 15x56, SLC 15x56, MeoStar 15x56 and Leica Ultravid 10x50 I must say the Old Zeiss holds its ground.
Yes, FOV is a bit smaller, the close focus starts at round 10 meters, I don't know if it is WP but the view in brightness is comparable for my 63 year old eyes.

Jan

Thanks Jan!

I keep looking on the off chance I can find some unloved bins for a reasonable price in the race to upgrade to the latest and greatest. The classic Zeiss is one older model I really want to find, though newer models are tempting too. I think a pair of these would be sweet for my trips to the Gulf coast to watch sea birds and ships.

Hello Sid,

My experience, and I am a few years older than you, is that both a 10x50 and a 12x50 are usable with a monopod. At 15x, a tripod, with a firm mounting, becomes necessary.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Jan and others from the EU, where would I find a gently used unit for prices similar to what is shown? Of course, I would want to avoid VAT and wonder about shipping and export concerns from the EU.

I would love to travel back to the Netherlands and go bin shopping but, that isn't happening anytime soon though, I do plan to return for Herring season in the local weekend markets. Last time I was in Hengelo, those Herring with saltwater still on them were delicious (as were most dining options in local restaurants of average to modest cost)!!! :love::love::love:

Unfortunately, raw seafood around where I live in Texas in considered similar to toxic waste so, I need to travel far to eat REAL SUSHI instead of a vegetable roll with soy sauce and fake Wasabi. :(

PSA (Public Service Announcement): the Netherlands has a lot more to offer than "coffee shops" and the "red light district"! The Netherlands American Cemetery near Maastricht is one sight that should not be overlooked IMHO. When Memorial Day comes, please don't forget the Dutch who look after our brothers in arms from WW II. ;)

Jan and others from the EU, where would I find a gently used unit for prices similar to what is shown? Of course, I would want to avoid VAT and wonder about shipping and export concerns from the EU.

I would love to travel back to the Netherlands and go bin shopping but, that isn't happening anytime soon though, I do plan to return for Herring season in the local weekend markets. Last time I was in Hengelo, those Herring with saltwater still on them were delicious (as were most dining options in local restaurants of average to modest cost)!!! :love::love::love:

Unfortunately, raw seafood around where I live in Texas in considered similar to toxic waste so, I need to travel far to eat REAL SUSHI instead of a vegetable roll with soy sauce and fake Wasabi. :(

PSA (Public Service Announcement): the Netherlands has a lot more to offer than "coffee shops" and the "red light district"! The Netherlands American Cemetery near Maastricht is one sight that should not be overlooked IMHO. When Memorial Day comes, please don't forget the Dutch who look after our brothers in arms from WW II. ;)

Hi Sid,

Herring.....mmmmm, Texas guys are right. Toxic waist.......

If you want to buy one of these, PM me.

Jan

Attachments

• Zeiss 15x60 1.jpg
    Zeiss 15x60 1.jpg
    334.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Zeiss 15x60 2.jpg
    Zeiss 15x60 2.jpg
    342.2 KB · Views: 30
  • Zeiss 15x60.jpg
    Zeiss 15x60.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 29
  • Zeiss 15x60 6.jpg
    Zeiss 15x60 6.jpg
    357.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Zeiss 15x60 7.jpg
    Zeiss 15x60 7.jpg
    322.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Zeiss 15x60 9.jpg
    Zeiss 15x60 9.jpg
    322.5 KB · Views: 27

Correct, sidpost. We are proud to take care them. This is a photo from some years ago when we had rare snow. 43A5EEDF-42BD-4D2A-8724-EE93FA6AFA79.jpeg1A3D21CF-3A3C-428C-A863-968075E95928.jpeg

Awesome! And a HUGE THANK YOU! Appreciation, gratitude, and respect brings a tear to my eye thinking about memorials like this.

If you really want one, buy the latest 2002~2003 model with a 7-digit serial number.
Or at least buy a BGAT "Made in Germany" version , the optics are clearly superior than the earlier models.
I recently sold my 1560BGAT serial number 64xxxx for $1500.

A quick question, how is eye relief? I wear glasses and see some of these high power bins with really short eye reliefs which would be problematic for me. I'm not expecting a super flexible eye box but, they need to be usable for me with glasses.

TIA,
Sid

If you really want one, buy the latest 2002~2003 model with a 7-digit serial number.
Or at least buy a BGAT "Made in Germany" version , the optics are clearly superior than the earlier models.
I recently sold my 1560BGAT serial number 64xxxx for $1500.
Hi Range,
I have a 2002 model with a 6-digit number, is there a newer version 2003 with 7-digit number? Does it has improvements that you now off?
Cheers,
T.

How do these ZEISS 15x 60 B/GA compare to modern binoculars of similar power? How does one know whether they are looking at the newer late-90's thru 2002 versions or the older ones? What is a fair market value these days? I'm looking for something to view distant terrestrial objects (think ships and distant sheep) from a tripod. I should note I'm thinking about Leica Ultravid 12x50 or 10x50 options as well which are currently advertised for $2,000 USD for Christmas sales.

Thanks,
Sid
Hi Sid,
I have one, BGAT made in Germany, so made after 1989 (mine is from 2002) and I it use it with great pleasure. I didn't compare it to other binoculars, I wanted one for years and just bought it for 999,- euro from a very reliable shop in Maarsen, The Netherlands. Will keep it for the rest of my life!
Cheers,
T.

A quick question for current owners, are these compatible with eyeglasses? I'm thinking I want a pair like the Gummi's listed in Jan's post above with the T marking. I'm not sure if they are the newest generation with a 7-digit serial number or not though.

The "B" typically means eyeglass compatible but, with marketing, the meaning of the "B" in the name may be lost over time.

Also, I'm guessing the T marked models are the latest generation as well. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

TIA!
Sid

Hello,

I have a friend who was a US Air Force chaplain. He participated at the cemetery's Memorial Day service, always moved by the appreciation showed by Netherlanders for the service and sacrifice of American soldiers.

I never had any problem with eye relief with my late model 15x60 Zeiss.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back