• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss 6x42 Skipper. (1 Viewer)

I had a chance to purchase a mint pair for a lot less than that recently (£1,500) but they were grey and not the funky seafoam green-like version!

I only let them pass as my eyes are too old to benefit from the “set focus in each tube at middle distance and forget further adjustment”.

LGM

I had a chance to purchase a mint pair for a lot less than that recently (£1,500) but they were grey and not the funky seafoam green-like version!

I only let them pass as my eyes are too old to benefit from the “set focus in each tube at middle distance and forget further adjustment”.

LGM
There is no 'seafoam green-like' version. That is just the famous Zeiss green colour-cast misleading you :) :cool:

Lee

There is no 'seafoam green-like' version. That is just the famous Zeiss green colour-cast misleading you :) :cool:

Lee
Being serious for a moment, I have seen photos of blue Skippers and grey Skippers, but on the few occasions when I have seen 'thumbnail' pics of green Skippers, when the pic was opened to full size I could see it was just another grey unit.

Has there really ever been a genuinely green Skipper?

Lee

Last edited:
Last edited:
I have followed that auction---the seller is a friend of mine and of course he was pleased with the final price: it might be the highest price ever paid for this bino. There is a 6x42 on a German website, asking price 1790eur, the seller is open to offers and might accept 1500, which imo is a more reasonable price for this bino. If anyone is interested I can post the link.

I have followed that auction---the seller is a friend of mine and of course he was pleased with the final price: it might be the highest price ever paid for this bino. There is a 6x42 on a German website, asking price 1790eur, the seller is open to offers and might accept 1500, which imo is a more reasonable price for this bino. If anyone is interested I can post the link.
Personally, I’m sticking with the old adage of never meeting one’s heroes…

I had never seen a Skipper before, but there are two more currently on ebay, strange. And they all have had the rubber objective covers cut off. Apparently these were unpopular? What did people do then without a case? The late-80s 15x60 I sold a while ago was the only Zeiss I've seen that still had them.

I have never seen a Skipper with objective covers, they were made in small numbers and being rare have become popular amongst the collectors, but that last price was over the top.

I had never seen a Skipper before, but there are two more currently on ebay, strange. And they all have had the rubber objective covers cut off. Apparently these were unpopular? What did people do then without a case? The late-80s 15x60 I sold a while ago was the only Zeiss I've seen that still had them.
Strange?, on the contrary, supply and demand.
If I had one I would also sell for that kind of money, I’m not sentimental over a set of bin’s.

Cut off by Zeiss as they reference “West Germany” when selling off old stock post reunification or split and broke away due to constant flexing?

Looking at how they appear to project through a neatly punched/molded opening in the rubber armouring I would think that if Zeiss still have stock a new pair of objective covers could be re-fitted as was intended.

LGM

The objective covers were of very bad quality so I also cut them off immediately.
Interesting. I've got some experience with such objective covers (Zeiss 7x50 porro, Zeiss 30x60 scope, Hensoldt 8x30 IF) and didn't have any problems. Seems like Zeiss chose a weaker kind of rubber for the coverings of the Skipper.

Hermann

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back