• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss 7x42 T* P* focus question (1 Viewer)

Hello all,

I am a new member here, so please be kind.

I have a pair of the above binoculars which have served me well for many years.

Recently I've been spending more time birding in my back yard due to this wretched pandemic.

My yard is only 10m long, and oftentimes the birds are a bit too close for me to focus on.

I am happy to just watch them with the naked eye, but would appreciate the opportunity to study them at feather-detail level.

Is it possible to have the close focus "shifted" down to say, 2 or 3 meters?

I have thought about newer binoculars, but I don't really want to splash out when they are otherwise excellent.

Thanking you in advance Ladies and Gentlemen.

I would think most unlikely to the distances you've wished for. There is an experienced Leica/Zeiss engineer here on BF that hopefully will confirm one way or other. I've owned a pair for many years but am fortunate to have other units for closer viewing.

Hi and welcome.

The binocular itself may not have enough adjustment to reach 2 to 3 metres.
Even if it did you may. lose distance viewing.
What is the current closest distance?

The work to change the focus may cost as much as a lowish cost binocular that focuses close.

If you can get some lenses fixed to the front of the objectives, it could focus in that range but not at infinity.

I have some cheap glasses with simple lenses around 2 to 3 dioptres.
I'll see what happens,
They may not cover 42mm.
I'll try a 32mm binocular.

The Pentax Papilio 2 is not very expensive and might give you close coverage.
There are probably normal close focus binoculars around £150 that would suit.

Regards,
B.

Hello,

There are two recent 7x42T*P* Zeiss binoculars: the Dialyt, later models were called ClassiC, and the 7x42 FL. If it is the former, the answer is most likely no. The ClassiC uses a moveable bridge, which becomes unworkable at distance less than four or five metres, just like a Porro binocular. If it were the more recent 7x42FL, the answer is maybe, but you may lose distant viewing and the cost would be prohibitive. I suspect that the FL already has four metres near focus, so you have the older ClassiC.

I might suggest obtaining a 7x28, 6x30/32 or a 6.5x35, roof prism glass, with closer focussing, which would meet your needs and keep it near the garden. At three or four metres, up to ten, a 6x30 is probably sufficient for your needs, as you are a happy with a 7x.

I own a discontinued 6.5x32 Meopta MeoPro, now discontinued, which I find very useful.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Last edited:
I tried a plus 2.25 dioptre cheap glasses on one side of the 8x32 BA.
The results are impressive but gives a focus range from about 0.4 to 0.7 metres.

So one needs a close up lens of about 1/3 dioptre.

There are photo close up lenses, usually in sets of 1,2 and 3 dioptres.
These range from small to say 77mm.
A Nikon user would choose a 52mm set.
A Minolta user 55mm or 49mm.
These could be placed in front of a binocular using 2 sets.

However, I don't know if 1/2 and 1/4 dioptres are available.
1/3 dioptre unlikely.

There may be cheap ground glass glasses of plus 0.5 dioptres.
These will probably only cover a 32mm objective even with large frame glasses.
Plastic glasses are probably not good enough quality.

I'll see what's available.

Regards,
B.

Hi,

There is a little bit of leeway in adjusting the focus distance on a 7x42 Dialyt but I would not recommend doing it - the minimum close focus distance was designed as it is for a reason.

The problem with putting auxillary lenses on the objectives is that :
1. They will downgrade image quality and introduce abberations.
2. To use the binocular at longer distances they will have to be removed.
3. How can they be fitted - they would have to be exactly at right angles to the optical path.

When the Zeiss HT binocular was developed Zeiss threaded the objective rings and produced a screw on adaptor which accepted 49mm photographic filters. The idea was that clear filters could be fitted for protection in harsh environments, polarisers for looking into water or ambers for very bright conditions. These adaptors were, however, never released onto the market.

Gary

I would also not normally add close up lenses to a binocular.

I would likely get cross eyed.

However, Tokina made a plus 0.4 dioptre achromat to add to a zoom lens and Tamron a 0.5 dioptre singlet.

There are plus 0.5 dioptre reading glasses.

It could be useful using one side of a binocular as a monocular.

I am really surprised at how good the one sided 8x32 BA is adding glass lensed plus 2.25 dioptre reading glasses hand held roughly in the correct orientation.

Some of the Canon IS binoculars have filter threads on the front.

However, I would rather use a close focus binocular or monocular rather than mess around with close up lenses.

Regards,
B.

I am also using my Zeiss 7x42s purchased circa 1997 for my BTO Gardenbirdwatch survey during lock. According to a Zeiss catalogue the close focusing distance is 3.7 metres or 12.1 feet.. Which is not a problem for looking at my feeders at the bottom of my garden perhaps 15M away. The feeders and table near my dining room window is not within the focusing distance when I am close to the window. However I can easily focus when seated at my usual place at the dining table. My-advice would be to simply change your viewing distance or more expensively buy a cheapish pair of close focusing binoculars as recommended above. I still have use of my wife's CZJ Zeiss 8x30 porros which focus down to 8 feet if I need them.
Good look.

Hello,

If one is near sided, removing the spectacles allows closer focussing.

I think that the earlier 7x42 Dialyts may not have focusses as close as 3.7 metres. Mine is a very late model which matched the 3.7 metres. Without my specs, I got 90 cm. closer.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Hello Arthur & Robert,

I just measured the closest focusing distance of my original 7x42 B/GAT*P, which is exactly 12 feet or 3.657 meters. Being far sighted, without my specs it was about 25 cm longer. From everything I've heard and observed the two models are the same, including coatings, i.e., overlooking the extra "*."

Ed

Last edited:
I just measured the closest focusing distance of my original 7x42 B/GAT*P, which is exactly 12 feet or 3.657 meters...
Same here. With my eyes, my 7x42 BGATP of ~1996 focus just under 12 feet.

To DSteadman1954--since these bins have lots of eye-relief, you might try taking them to your local drugstore, find the rack of cheap reading glasses, and see if you can get the close focus you want by wearing one with a strong positive diopter. Get the kind that set low on the nose so you can see over the top, then use the bins looking through the lenses on the bottom. You'll have to tilt your head back farther than usual, but it might work well enough for your purposes.

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back