• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss 7x42b TP Dialyt (1 Viewer)

lmans66

Out Birding....
Supporter
United States
I went out birding today with my 7x42's....Made in West Germany so prior to 1990....

Excellent pair of bins. But when I returned I see the 'cap' between the bridge / eyecups popped off. This cap had the words Made in West Germany, TP and the serial number. I am really at a loss considering how long these have been around and now that 'icing on the cake' is missing. Yes, still a great pair of bins though.

Anyone have any experience with this with prior bins? Can Zeiss retrieve serial number and provide another cap? Not sure.....I did write them but won't know until next week their response. I am hoping....

This is a pair that I just can't sell......just can't do it. I don't know what they are worth $ wise, but know how 'good' they are ..... I just want my cap back||:mad:|

Attachments

• 20200515_152209_resized.jpg
    20200515_152209_resized.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 104
  • 20200515_172643_resized.jpg
    20200515_172643_resized.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 84
  • 20200515_172651_resized.jpg
    20200515_172651_resized.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 82
Though you are in the USA it's well worth contacting Gary Hawkins at East Coast Binocular Repairs in England. He will know what you should do. [email protected] Tel: +44 1366 387581.

He is a 7x42 Dialyt fan by the way (and serviced mine recently).

Good luck,

Tom

Last edited:
Hi,

I do not think there will be any way of retrieving the original number but the caps are available and you should be able to get the insert with a new serial number.

If Zeiss USA cannot help with these parts PM me and I can either give you the part numbers or find a way of supplying you.

Gary.

Jim

Is there any way you might have a photo that might show the serial number? It might be a holiday photo in whch the bino might be on a table or somewhere. If you insured it the insurance company might have asked for the serial number so it might be in your correspondence and depending who you bought it from it might even be on the purchase documents.

Good luck Lee

Jim

Is there any way you might have a photo that might show the serial number? It might be a holiday photo in whch the bino might be on a table or somewhere. If you insured it the insurance company might have asked for the serial number so it might be in your correspondence and depending who you bought it from it might even be on the purchase documents.

Good luck Lee

I do not think there will be any way of retrieving the original number but the caps are available and you should be able to get the insert with a new serial number.

If Zeiss USA cannot help with these parts PM me and I can either give you the part numbers or find a way of supplying you.

Lee and Gary....I will look....never thought of holiday photos and the like,...but will do some digging. I wonder if the serial number is not embedded 'in the bin'...someplace. I can't believe that the cap would be the only place for it. But it is good to know that at least the cap itself might be available. Will keep you in mind if my other two sources don't pan out. I have contacted Dipl.-Ing. Klaus Felgenhauer, Leiter Trainingsakademie,ZEISS Consumer Products but he is out of the office until Monday.

Hi,

The only serial number on the binocular is the one on the cap.

Have you hàd it seŕviced before or do you still have the box or any paperwork ?

Gary.

Hi,

The only serial number on the binocular is the one on the cap.

Have you hàd it seŕviced before or do you still have the box or any paperwork ?

Gary.

...I purchased thru 'infocusoptics' in the UK. So I just wrote them asking them if they had record of the serial number based upon my transaction number. I liked dealing with them and they seemed up on it, so hoping they have it. Once more it is odd that the only serial number is on a 'cap' and not in the bins someplace. jim

I think that virtually every binocular made only has the serial number on it in one location and on many of them it is on a part of the binocular that can be removed.

This is just a factor in the manufacturing process.

Even cars only have (or did have) the "serial number" in one place - usually a rivetted-on plate.

Gary

As a curious side note. I had a 7x42B with a T* on the cap. The rod on the central part of the hinge had the two grooves that TP usually have (like yours), and the person I bought it from assured me it was a TP, in spite of what was written on the cap. The serial number indicated only T* plus a 7 number digit followed by the letter S. So I wrote to Zeiss, and they assured me again that the device was a TP, not a T* as the cap said, the puzzling bit is that Zeiss could confirmed the binoculars had been serviced in 2015, that they were a TP but... alas, they had no information about the year of manufacture, other than "Between 1998 and 2004". So I don't know if my unit had lost its original cap at one point of its life and had been given a new spare cap... or it is simply the original one but Zeiss couldn't trace it.

Last edited:
Hi,

you can test yourself whether it's phase coated or not:

- sit in front of computer with LCD screen (LCD is important, others won't work).

- do what is needed to get a mostly white screen - maybe open your favourite word processor.

- wear some polarized sunglasses (or some passive 3d glasses - like you get in the 3d cinema).

- hold binoculars in front of the screen with eyepieces pointing towards it and slowly rotate around z axis and observe the bright circle in the objective lens.

- when you see a distinct border between a dark and bright half-circle at some position, the pair has no phase coatings.

- even phase coated pairs will have some difference between the half circles, but much less pronounced... nothing is perfect after all...

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back