• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss 8x32 FL T* Owners VS Possible Up Grade To The Zeiss 8x32 Victory SF 8x32 (1 Viewer)

peterginsburg: yes, this is my point with the FL: if you get a good one - they stay good.

The comment that they are known to have stiff/harsh focusers came from a service rep at Zeiss in Sweden over the phone. I called them as I was hoping I would not have to send my brand new FL10x32 to Germany, I don't remember if they serviced it or simply handled the transport to Germany but it was gone for a good three weeks so probably back to Germany. Once serviced it was still stiff, but in a way I like.

On the 8x32FL my sample was fast and supersmooth. On two 10x32 FLs they were simply too stiff/rigid for one finger operation.

I think they are greaseless focusers and I have not felt backlash/play in any focuser on the FL:s I have used or tried in shop. Three out of five have been very stiff, one supersmooth and the last one was probably good too, since I don't notice anything to remember (you tend to remember if something is bad).
My 10x32FLs had a very stiff focus wheel right out of the box. Sent them to Zeiss USA for repair, now it's easy and smooth like buttah.

I also rechecked my first 10x32FL who was sold to a friend: it is still as stiff as when he got it quite a few years back. Seems to stay stiff if it is like that out of the box. Seems to be a bit of a hit and miss with the FL's. Still great binoculars but apparently making world class binos isn't all that easy...

Zeiss Victory FL 8x32 T* Lotutec is benchmark in 32 class due to it‘s compact size. New Zeiss SF32 or NL32 are interesting but not a real „32“ with dimensions of a „42“....

Zeiss Victory FL 8x32 T* Lotutec is benchmark in 32 class due to it‘s compact size. New Zeiss SF32 or NL32 are interesting but not a real „32“ with dimensions of a „42“....
No doubt, they are cute - but an eye relief of 16mm is not enough for me and not state-of-the-art anymore.

I also rechecked my first 10x32FL who was sold to a friend: it is still as stiff as when he got it quite a few years back. Seems to stay stiff if it is like that out of the box. Seems to be a bit of a hit and miss with the FL's. Still great binoculars but apparently making world class binos isn't all that easy...
Received my 10x32 T*FL earlier this week; looks like a late production unit and though the focus sounds a bit scratchy it is smooth and consistent. Couldn't ask for a sharper or more compact and steady glass to use from dawn well into twilight. I don't need state of the art if I haven't tried state of the art. (I have tried it come to think of it, but it wasn't that fantastic anyway!)

Received my 10x32 T*FL earlier this week; looks like a late production unit and though the focus sounds a bit scratchy it is smooth, easy to turn, and consistent. Couldn't ask for a sharper or more compact and steady glass to use from dawn well into twilight. I don't need state of the art in 32 if I haven't tried state of the art. (I have tried it come to think of it, but it wasn't that fantastic anyway!)

No doubt, they are cute - but an eye relief of 16mm is not enough for me and not state-of-the-art anymore.
Have you ever looked through a pair? The 16mm spec feels conservative and I had plenty of room with glasses on. Not only is the relief adequate but also lateral margin is great.

There are of course better models for eye relief nowadays but some of them are substantially larger.

Have you ever looked through a pair? The 16mm spec feels conservative and I had plenty of room with glasses on. Not only is the relief adequate but also lateral margin is great.

There are of course better models for eye relief nowadays but some of them are substantially larger.
I have a pair of Conquest HD 8x32 and their 16mm eye relief is not enough for me to see the entire FOV. If you tell me that the FL 8x32 are better, I would love to try them...

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back