• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Zeiss 8x32 FL vs Leica UV HD+ 8x32 (2 Viewers)

LucaPCP

I meant superpose on the graph CIE colorimetric standard observer functions yadda yadda etc etc for our entertainment or enlightenment.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/engineering/color-matching-functions

and actually, if one has a scene measured by a teleradiometer, or a decent multispectral cam, one can take the raw data from the transmission spectral measures and do a spectrum band by band product with the image data and derive a simulation of the way a scene would be seen through that instrument. Etc etc. eg see how a deer in foliage would appear in the early morning light, or a visiting canari doing a siesta on my neatly clipped and well watered french lawn at high noon.

numbers themselves are total sh*te until you contextualise them with the psychophysics of color perception, supplied in this instance by a fairly developed discipline called colorimetry.

Edmund

The link to the paper does not work for me... I get a topic not found error. If you post a citation I could try google scholar. Thanks!

dries1

Oddly enough I instantly disliked the color of both Nikon SEs I tried. It was too long ago to recall in detail, but it seemed dull and oddly reddish to me -- in a different way than Leica, not "warm" but muddy, unsure how to describe it better. There must be a strong subjective aspect to all this as well.

There are subjective alright, I still use all three models of the SE and would not characterize the color as muddy but warm, which I prefer anyway over the stronger blue/green cold views of other premium glass. The SE model is a love/hate for many, and for different reasons.

Andy W.

Gilmore Girl

Beth
Supporter
United States
Oddly enough I instantly disliked the color of both Nikon SEs I tried. It was too long ago to recall in detail, but it seemed dull and oddly reddish to me -- in a different way than Leica, not "warm" but muddy, unsure how to describe it better. There must be a strong subjective aspect to all this as well.

There are subjective alright, I still use all three models of the SE and would not characterize the color as muddy but warm, which I prefer anyway over the stronger blue/green cold views of other premium glass. The SE model is a love/hate for many, and for different reasons.

Andy W.

I don't recall it being warmish, but it's been a long time since I had my Premier SE. It's also possible I'm confusing it with a different bino.

Users who are viewing this thread