• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Zeiss BGAT 7x42 (1 Viewer)

Petrus82

Can anyone tell me the year of manufacture for 7x42 Dialyt with serial number beginning 257?

Last edited:

jring

Hi,

no public list of serial numbers available as with CZJ. Maybe the nice guy from Zeiss who posts in here has access to records?

Joachim

jring

Hi Gary,

Thanks for that. Are these a phase corrected model?

That's an interesting question as 1988 was the year it was introduced... and not always marked with P or P* at first...

Although on a 7x pair the difference between phase coating or none might be hard to see.

Joachim

berryns

The 7x42's should be phase coated because Holger Merlitz has a pair with a lower serial number and his are phase coated.

elkcub

Silicon Valley, California
United States
I've been led to believe that if there's ribbing on the hinge then it's phase coated. It's not clear whether a smooth hinge necessarily indicate no phase coating though. Mine is ribbed.

Ed

Last edited:

Troubador

Staff member
Supporter
The 7x42's should be phase coated because Holger Merlitz has a pair with a lower serial number and his are phase coated.

Gary could explain this better than me but I understand that for a variety of reasons Zeiss serial numbers are not always applied to product in strict numerical order. So while a lower serial number has a good chance of indicating a product that was produced earlier, it is not conclusive.

Lee

mak

United Kingdom
Gary could explain this better than me but I understand that for a variety of reasons Zeiss serial numbers are not always applied to product in strict numerical order. So while a lower serial number has a good chance of indicating a product that was produced earlier, it is not conclusive.

Lee

Lee
This is correct. Serial numbers were allocated to models, but another model could have a serial number higher or lower. 1988 is more than likely phase coated, but this is the year of introduction for phase coating. There is no difference between P & P*. Some were marked P and then to keep the markings similar with the T* the * was added to the P.
Gary would have a list of serial numbers from one to another, but within that list could be a number of various models manufactured within that year.

berryns

Lee

Interesting Lee - thanks for the information. I learn something new everyday on BF.

Petrus82, I think 550-650 USD (378-447 GBP) to be a fair price depending on accessories, p-coating, and the condition of the binoculars.

Last edited:

Troubador

Staff member
Supporter
Lee
This is correct. Serial numbers were allocated to models, but another model could have a serial number higher or lower. 1988 is more than likely phase coated, but this is the year of introduction for phase coating. There is no difference between P & P*. Some were marked P and then to keep the markings similar with the T* the * was added to the P.
Gary would have a list of serial numbers from one to another, but within that list could be a number of various models manufactured within that year.

Thanks MAK, nice to see you back on these pages.

Lee

akltsang

Hi Gary,
Can you tell me the year of manufacturing of my T*P Dialyt 7x42 with serial no. 657957? Thank you.

james holdsworth

Consulting Biologist
Interesting Lee - thanks for the information. I learn something new everyday on BF.

Petrus82, I think 550-650 USD (378-447 GBP) to be a fair price depending on accessories, p-coating, and the condition of the binoculars.

If P-coated, your prices are way low. Very good examples tend to [ask] for over $1000.00. Even good non-P's [ask] for $800 - $900.

Last edited:

berryns

Hi James, it's my opinion that price can fluctuate depending on accessories, service history, how bad you want the piece, and the aesthetic and mechanical condition of the binoculars.

In the past few months there have been several very nice T*P* made in Germany Dialyts for 650-700 that took 1-2 days to sell. This price is at or below value. The all too common 800-1100 range 7x42 Dialyts take months to sell, if they sell at all. That, in my opinion, means they are priced too high for most people. Recently a W. Germany T*P 7x42 sold for 795 on astromart, it had a rainguard and had recently been serviced by Zeiss. These took a week to sell.

I still think 550-650 for a 1988 possibly phase coated example is about fair depending on condition and accessories, which we don't know about. Of course this is a matter of opinion.

Petrus82, can you provide pictures? Let us know if you purchase the bins. Good luck!

Regards.
berrns

Users who are viewing this thread