• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Binocular Design: A Personal Overview Part 2 (1 Viewer)

Gary, post 15,
Thank you a lot, I have an 8x20, made somewhere between 1984 and 1988 I think, since it does not have phasecoatings.
Gijs van Ginkel

Is that Terra just a cosmetic refresh or are there any substantive changes that are known? I missed this tidbit...

Love these posts Lee, great stuff.

BTW the SFs only have two hinges - the middle third is a faux hinge - but seems to be functional, protecting the focus from getting moved/knocked.

Love these posts Lee, great stuff.

BTW the SFs only have two hinges - the middle third is a faux hinge - but seems to be functional, protecting the focus from getting moved/knocked.
Thank you kindly. I am curious as to why you call the middle hinge a 'faux' hinge. It is attached to both optical tubes and it articulates in the middle when the IPD is changed. Not only that, on the SF32 I am looking at now, it is the middle bridge that provides the 'stop' which limits the extent of IPD adjustment, so it is a key component in the 3-bridge arrangement.

I am struggling to see anything 'faux' about this and I am reminded of that old saying 'if it looks like a duck and acts like a duck, it probably is a duck'.

Lee

Last edited:
Thank you kindly. I am curious as to why you call the middle hinge a 'faux' hinge. It is attached to both optical tubes and it articulates in the middle when the IPD is changed. Not only that, on the SF32 I am looking at now, it is the middle bridge that provides the 'stop' which limits the extent of IPD adjustment, so it is a key component in the 3-bridge arrangement.

I am struggling to see anything 'faux' about this and I am reminded of that old saying 'if it looks like a duck and acts like a duck, it probably is a duck'.

Lee
Huh, I bought SF32's and returned them, so don't have them in front of me - when I looked very closely, the middle "hinge" was not actually connected between the tubes - but it sure looks like it is. Hard to imagine they would have changed that detail?

Also...mechanically, ensuring all three points are on a perfect axis is a recipe for unnecessary complication. A third hinge adds alignment challenges, and not sure what is gained.

B-lilja is correct.
Having checked an early grey SF42 and a current SF32, and I see what b-lilja means in that the two halves of the middle hinge aren't mechanically connected at what I took to be a central pivot.

My sincere apologies to b-lilja and thanks to Gary.
Lee

Last edited:
Lee,

Thank you.

The centre "hinge" simply serves as a mounting point for the bottom of the focus shaft to make the focus wheel more stable and less prone to impact damage.

Gary.

Zeiss describe it as triple-link rather than triple-hinge.

No apologies necessary, we're all here to share and learn.

Gary, is the focus knob connected to the "link"? I don't remember it being connected on the 8x32 SF. But just going off memory.

[QUOTE="b-lilja, post: 4145162, member: 106206"

Gary, is the focus knob connected to the "link"? I don't remember it being connected on the 8x32 SF. But just going off memory.
[/QUOTE]

Hi,

Yes, there is a shaft running through the middle of the focus wheel which sits in a recess on the top of the "link".

Gary

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back