• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss classic rainguard discontinued!!! (1 Viewer)

There is another option that is similar to the Zeiss rainguard, and that is the Nikon rainguard that
comes with the SE and EII models.
It is lighter in weight and less clunky, very basic and a universal fit.
I suppose they are still available, I have ordered some in the past.

Jerry

Attachments

• Nikon SE Rain cover.jpg
    Nikon SE Rain cover.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 99
AP, Jerry,

The Opticron XL universal rainguard is a close copy of the Zeiss, identical in external dimensions except it is @ 30 to 40 % taller or deeper. It is made of plastic thinner than the Zeiss rubber and so will fit even slightly larger eyepieces. Just swapping/comparing all three of them (see also below) on and off various bins, The Opticron should be a serviceable substitute if you cannot find an original Zeiss.

The EII rainguard is a great design IMO as it actually has convenient, functional and reliable split attachments on both sides. It's @ 20 to 25% deeper or taller than the Zeiss and may work with very slightly larger eyepieces than the Zeiss as well. But in a quick search this morning I couldn't find the E II rainguard for sale as an accessory.

Mike

Hi,

The Zeiss "classic" rainguard has not been discontinued.

It is still very much available - it is just not listed in the catalogue / price list.

Gary

Hi,

The Zeiss "classic" rainguard has not been discontinued.

It is still very much available - it is just not listed in the catalogue / price list.

Gary

It is listed as discontinued by B&H, Adorama, Optics4Birding, and is no longer available on eBay, Amazon, or anywhere else online in the USA where it used to be listed. I see it still available from some places via eBay.uk.

Glad to know it is still available. Why is it top secret now?

--AP

Hi,

The "classic" rainguard used to be listed by Zeiss as an accessory for the 8x56 Dialyt.

When that binocular was discontinued and taken out of the price list so were all the accessories for it. This rainguard is designed for the Dialyts and as there are none of them for sale anymore anything associated with them has obviously been deleted from the lists.

I presume that dealers are now showing it as discontinued because they cannot see it in the Zeiss price list and have also assumed that it is no longer made.

Your local Zeiss agency will still be able to order them from Germany.

Gary

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back