• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 VS Leica UHD Plus 8x32 (in doubts) (1 Viewer)

Jagu

Belarus
Hi everyone!
Looking for a new experience in a picture quality and ergonomics I've decided to change my Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 to Leica Ultravid 8x32 HD Plus (have a good proposal for UHD).
Before a deal I tried to compare them both.
If we speak about the ergonomics - leica is superior (less weight, more compact, no blackouts), no doubts.

But optically I've got identical picture from both of them (colours, sharpness, microcontrast). Zeiss also has better FOV...

What do you think? Is there any reason to buy Leica UHD and trade my Zeiss? IMG_55201.jpg

Hi, well that depends on a few factors, ideally you need to spend some time with the Leica at home if possible or in a very relaxed environment with plenty of time and sunlight.
Optics wise while the Zeiss is excellent the Ultravid should be a notch above showing you that magical Leica image, beautiful saturated colours and crystalline pop.

ergonomics - leica is superior (less weight, more compact, no blackouts), no doubts...optically I've got identical picture from both of them (colours, sharpness, microcontrast). Zeiss also has better FOV... Is there any reason to buy Leica UHD and trade my Zeiss?
Judging from your own comparison there I'd be asking myself how valuable the ergonomics is worth to you. Blackouts are one of the worst things to deal with on a binocular and coupled with compactness is how I became a Leica enthusiast. Looking at the picture of them side by side, I can't imagine wanting to carry that larger binocular, but then that's just me.

I totally agree with @Trinovid. Blackouts are the worst of all. (That's why still I am trying to adjust to NL 8x42). I don't have experience with UV 8x32 however, UV 10x32 is completely free of blackout for me. The second reword you get with UV is excellent glare resistance. Sometimes, the absolute resolution doesn't matter if binoculars show so much glare that reduces the contrast. The first time I experienced the joy of not having glare is with UV 10x32. I don't think Conquest 8x32 is a bad binocular either. Two times I checked it in a store and didn't see any blackouts. The weight of it was also not too much. However, if the money is not a problem, I will definitely go for UV 8x32.

So they're optically equivalent, but the Leica has better ergonomics and less blackouts? Sounds like the Leica's are the better choice. Don't the Conquest have a little bit of false color that is not present in the UHD as well?

This is where you've got to stand your ground.
If you cannot see a difference, and you can adjust to the Zeiss... that's a lot of money saved.
Don't let folk on here sway you.
In my opinion I would want the Leicas, and I would pay the extra, but those Zeiss are awesome, and in all honesty... probably all the quality and view anyone would need.
Only you know if it's worth it.
I believe you can very quickly know if a binocular is right. A lot of it, especially £1000 and above, is more ergonomics than view.
At that price they are all very good, and it's big money for marginal gains.

We found the following data for the Leica Ultravid 8x32 HD-plus, the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 and the Meopta Meostar B1 8x32:
-1- Leica Ultravid HD-plus 8x32: weight 531 g, close focus 2,1 m, FOV 135m/1000m, eyerelief 13,3 mm, light transmission 500nm=86,8%, 550 nm=89,2%, price 1880 euro
-2- Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32, weight 643 g, close focus 1,6m, FOV 140m/1000m, eyerelief 16mm, light transmission 500nm=88,9%, 550 nm= 91,5% , price 860 euro
-3- Meopta Meostar B1 8x32, weight 688 g, close focus 1,6 m, FOV 139m/1000m, eyerelief 15,5 mm, light transmission 500nm=86,1%, 550 nm=89,9%, price 879 euro
You can find the whole test report in Dutch and the measured transmission spectra on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor
Gijs van Ginkel

Hi,

iirc Zeiss used to offer longer eyecups for the Conquest HD series to make them work better without glasses...

As for which endgame 8x32 pair I was always looking for either a well priced used EDG (best view, best mechanics, but a handfull) or a Zeiss FL (close behind but light and small). Not a fan of the EL 8x32 and too cheap to get a current alpha...

The question got settled when I found a very well priced FL before christmas...

Joachim

Hi everyone!
Looking for a new experience in a picture quality and ergonomics I've decided to change my Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 to Leica Ultravid 8x32 HD Plus (have a good proposal for UHD).
Before a deal I tried to compare them both.
If we speak about the ergonomics - leica is superior (less weight, more compact, no blackouts), no doubts.

But optically I've got identical picture from both of them (colours, sharpness, microcontrast). Zeiss also has better FOV...

What do you think? Is there any reason to buy Leica UHD and trade my Zeiss? View attachment 1500217
If you didn’t notice the difference optically, then no, it makes no sense except maybe for weight. These binoculars are on two different levels of optically and build quality, so if you can’t see the difference, that’s a good thing, save yourself some money.

Love the UV+ image but the short eyecups make them a blackout nightmare for me. Shame that that couldn’t make the eyecups longer. Would be my compact bino of choice if they did. Zeiss Does still offer longer eyecups for free. However it’s a much heavier and larger bino. Comparing Apples to Oranges.

Dear friends, thank yo so much for your comments!

I ended up with buying the Ultravid 8x32 HD (not plus) 1300 USD Brand new (but ten or more years old).

I going to compare them more closely, and make a dicision to sell Zeiss or not.

Jagu,

Sounds like a great deal on the UV HD 8x32. One helpful tip I picked up from other members here, take your time comparing the two. And compare them directly against each other in different lighting conditions. In my experience, the advantages of one or the other will probably be more noticeable in low light for example and when testing for glare control.

Mike

I have both 8x32, Zeiss Conquest HD et Leica ultravid HD (not the version plus).

For me, the Zeiss Conquest HD is amazingly sharp when I look at green objects like trees during summer, maybe sharper than the ultravid. During the last winter, the image was very good but I was not impressed. The ultravid HD provides an excellent image at any season. With the ultravid, I think I see the red and the brown of objects very well, that's why I prefer the ultravid during winter. But of course, it depends on where we live, because there are places in the world where we can find trees with theirs green leaves during winter.

I keep both because I can see advantages and drawbacks on those models :

Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 :

Wider apparent field of view on the Zeiss conquest.
Heavy device for the Zeiss but as a consequence, I can keep the image steadier with the Zeiss.
Better edge to edge sharpness.
Better ghost images control.
Glare control is variable. Sometimes close to the Leica, sometimes average.
Lateral light creates more sparks on the Zeiss.
Very fluid focus wheel, maybe too much for some people. I like it.
Better Eye relief but not enough long eyecups to fully avoid the "Kidney bean" effect.

Leica ultravid 8x32 HD (not version plus) :

Better glare control but I can see yellow-brown ghost images in some situations.
Not very fluid focus wheel on my device. A bit sticky.
More compactness.
Lightweight. For a Leica device, it's quite amazing. This is the main reason why I often take the Leica when I decide to use an 8x32.
Shorter eye relief but the effective eye relief is good. "Kidney bean" effect is better controled.

It will be interesting Jagu to know which one you keep and why, or if you will keep both.

Last edited:
iirc Zeiss used to offer longer eyecups for the Conquest HD series to make them work better without glasses...
Yes, this is very important. Blackouts are a serious annoyance, and if you're talking about the kidney-bean type on either side, they often occur because you're too close to the eyepiece and a deeper eyecup would solve the problem. Then you might be fully satisfied with the Conquest which is a very good performer particularly in brightness, as Gijs's measurements indicate.

If however you really want an upgrade offering a "new experience", you shouldn't let the choice be determined by the first attractive deal you find. UV HD(+) is a very nice bin (I used to have the 10x32) but not in any particular way that would instantly impress you. Other candidates to consider include FL, EL, NL. We now have a FL which I prefer to the HD+ primarily for center sharpness and ergonomics, and I say that after years of using the Leica and its BN predecessor.

It will be interesting Jagu to know which one you keep and why, or if you will keep both.
I've decided to keep them both. Leica UHD is better (size, ergonomic and lacking of blackouts).
But I'm thinking to keep Zeiss like a part of my collection (very good for its price).

My conclusion is:
If you have money buy UHD or UHD+
If you a little bit short of money Zeiss HD will be the right choise.

IMHO )))

My conclusion is:
If you have money buy UHD or UHD+
If you a little bit short of money - Zeiss HD
About 8x30/8x32's:
If you have money - Zeiss SFL
If you have less money - Zeiss CHD/Nikon MHG
If you have lesser money - Hawke Frontier EDX/GPO Passion ED
If you dont have money - Vortex Diamondback HD

P.S. Very hope that Vortex will create something in 8X32 with size of Diamondback HD + better optics - no matter what it will be called (Viper HD, Razor HD or Shit HD)...

I do not believe that blackouts are inherent in any binocular.

I believe te are caused by misalignment of the exit pupils of the binocular with the pupils of the observer.

This can be due to either incorrect IPD or incorrect distance from the ocular, or both.

There! I said it. (right out loud)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back