• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Conquest HD eyecup stuck (1 Viewer)

RDat

United States
Hello everyone,

My apologies that my first post on this forum is one asking for help. Zeiss sent me replacement eyecups that I tried putting on my Conquest HD today. However, on trying to unscrew the old eyecups I realized that the rubber part of the eyecup has separated itself from the smaller inner plastic part with grooves. I am not a binocular expert, so I am not sure I am doing a good job explaining the issue or using the correct terminology. I am including some pictures below, in case any of you have faced this issue before and know how to unthread the inner plastic part that is still threaded around the eyepiece. This piece does not seem to want to move if I try rotating it counter-clockwise. I am hoping I can get this to come off without having to send the binoculars back to Zeiss.

Unfortunately, I also cannot get the outer rubber part of the eyecup to thread around the inner part.

Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• C4E53547-6831-4C50-87E0-F51275B95F82.jpeg
    C4E53547-6831-4C50-87E0-F51275B95F82.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 44
  • F292F4C7-BDD6-4CC1-8B6C-C18A79C4C208.jpeg
    F292F4C7-BDD6-4CC1-8B6C-C18A79C4C208.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 42
  • BF6563C2-80BA-4A0F-8D0D-EE4EB4B9EE1F.jpeg
    BF6563C2-80BA-4A0F-8D0D-EE4EB4B9EE1F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 40
  • 15AFFD13-0010-4DAC-8056-4B6FA7EC022A.jpeg
    15AFFD13-0010-4DAC-8056-4B6FA7EC022A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I would wipe any lubricant off the part that is stuck in the bino and then take a big rubber band and stretch it and coil it around this part to give yourself something to grip. Hope fully it should simply unscrew with a bit of effort. When fitting the new eyecups make sure they are in the closed-down shortest length position. If they are extended, stick two fingers up the middle from the bottom end and press these fingers outward to grip the inner tube and keep it stationary while you screw the outer part down so that the eyecup is then at its shortest length. It should now easily screw into the bino when offered up.

Lee

I would wipe any lubricant off the part that is stuck in the bino and then take a big rubber band and stretch it and coil it around this part to give yourself something to grip. Hope fully it should simply unscrew with a bit of effort. When fitting the new eyecups make sure they are in the closed-down shortest length position. If they are extended, stick two fingers up the middle from the bottom end and press these fingers outward to grip the inner tube and keep it stationary while you screw the outer part down so that the eyecup is then at its shortest length. It should now easily screw into the bino when offered up.

Lee
Thank you Lee. I feel a little stupid now, but I wanted to make sure that applying a little pressure around the eyepiece was okay. I couldn't get the inner eyecup part to budge using a rubber band, but I was able to unscrew it using some rubber kitchen gloves for better grip. Thank you again!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back