• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 TP (2 Viewers)

Arthur Red Rod

Thank you to everyone for the input, especially the ones bearing some criticism towards the binos. Being able to discuss the weakpoints of all binoculars, even beloved alphas, is what makes this subforum so valuable.

I understand better now the weaknesses of this bino as a main-birding glass, and it makes me appreciate my recent MHG 10x42 purchase even more. I hope to have a lifetime of great experiences with these two gems.

The Dialyt will mainly serve as a vanity purchase for myself after a particularly rough year (I think everyone has gone through this) and also as a flex piece for my next provincial bird meet. 3:)

Perhaps I will look like I have a clue with such elegant classics on my neck.:t:

Pinewood

New York correspondent
United States
Hello Arthur,

My experience is that few bird watchers are either interested in retro or appreciate old binoculars. I do see some users of the Dialyt 7x42, but that Austrian binocular seems to be the cachet of those who think of themselves in the know.
Enjoy your newly acquired Hensoldt and the Dialyt.

Stay safe,
Arthur :hi:

Arthur Red Rod

Hello Arthur,

My experience is that few bird watchers are either interested in retro or appreciate old binoculars. I do see some users of the Dialyt 7x42, but that Austrian binocular seems to be the cachet of those who think of themselves in the know.
Enjoy your newly acquired Hensoldt and the Dialyt.

Stay safe,
Arthur :hi:

An excellent point Arthur and an observation I've also made myself. Perhaps I am better poised to impress the snooty, aristocrat hunters in Germany, who continue to fawn over these and sell them for nearly the cost of new alphas. However, I am concerned my usual attire of khaki shorts and a t-shirt will immediately give me away.:D

Arthur Red Rod

Yes, the shorts seem to work fine until the snow starts creeping in. Even then, it's just a matter of how much cold you can tolerate. 3:)

I remember, many children during my school days ran around in gym shorts in the months approaching Christmas vacation!

Of course, everything - even the bugs - are much milder here. I must remember to pack the extra-strength bug spray if I ever visit Scotland! :eek!:

Edit: Organic and non-toxic, of course!

Much love,

Arthur

Last edited:

SeldomPerched

Thank you to everyone for the input, especially the ones bearing some criticism towards the binos. Being able to discuss the weakpoints of all binoculars, even beloved alphas, is what makes this subforum so valuable.

I understand better now the weaknesses of this bino as a main-birding glass, and it makes me appreciate my recent MHG 10x42 purchase even more. I hope to have a lifetime of great experiences with these two gems.

The Dialyt will mainly serve as a vanity purchase for myself after a particularly rough year (I think everyone has gone through this) and also as a flex piece for my next provincial bird meet. 3:)

Perhaps I will look like I have a clue with such elegant classics on my neck.:t:

Hi Arthur,

To me the 7x42 Dialyt is the most comfortable of all binoculars to handle and hold steady along with the 8x32 EL that I suspect Swarovski styled after it. Here in England servicing is still free of charge in accordance with Zeiss guarantee conditions unless certain parts are needed and Gary Hawkins at East Coast Binocular Repairs can probably source rainguards etc for you if you want to contact him. The details are on the internet and he might well see this post. He has serviced mine recently and to give you further confidence he told me last year that the 7x42 Dialyt is in his opinion as good as anything that has followed since.

(I am only a novice birder and others with more viewing hours will have answers that are worth more notice.)

All the best,

Tom

Last edited:
I collect binoculars and out of all the binoculars I have ever owned or tried, the 7x42 Zeiss TP are the absolute finest low light binoculars of the bunch. For astronomy, it's like they have magical fairy dust sprinkled on the optics as I have been able to hunt down and see faint fuzzies with them that I have trouble seeing with a really good 3" refractor.

For astronomy, very few binoculars can match them. The coatings, magnification, aperture, field of view, etc. make them ideal for looking at faint objects in the night sky. This being said, I prefer higher magnifications for birding like the Canon image-stabilized binoculars. I will never part with my 7x42 Zeiss though, they're nothing short of stunning.

Users who are viewing this thread