• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Diascope 85 T* FL year of manufacture (1 Viewer)

Hi Scott

Went out very early today to avoid contact and drove to a place near Worcester (quite an old historical town). Not certain whether the virus can get through my air re-circulation system in the car.....hope it's safe to drive.

There was loads to see - activity was high, raptors, waders, perching birds, ducks etc. Again thought I was prepared - only to find that my iphone hadn't charged AGAIN so no photos ! I must pay more attention.....

When it comes to down loading multiple pictures it seems that it's my IPad that's at fault - will have to swap to the Mac. Any way here's a resident blackbird in my garden from yesterday.

image.jpeg

Went out very early today to avoid contact and drove to a place near Worcester (quite an old historical town). Not certain whether the virus can get through my air re-circulation system in the car.....hope it's safe to drive.

Hi,

the stuff is not truly airborne like measles or chicken pox but rather propagated via droplet infection after coughing and smear infection on surfaces.
So even if your aircon was not switched to circulation, it would be fine until an infectious person coughs right into your car's air intake.
Cycling is also recommended!

Birding alone or with your partner is also fine - just don't form flocks of twitchers ;-)

Joachim

Hi,

nice that the backpack trick now works for you... maybe use not iron weights but plastic water bottles - less likely to ruin the scope, keep you hydrated and you can empty them when you're done digiscoping...

As for field optics - they're probably not a favorite here due to their strong focus on hunting and shooting.
But regardless, the only carbon tripod I see on their page for 200 USD is 50 inches high with the column extended and 38 inches with the column down. Unless you also carry a stool, I don't see how that is going to work.

Regarding the other models, I'm a bit wary about the low weights and super high loads given (although it has to be said that they're in good company there - yes, I'm looking at you, Gitzo).
The medium model (out of stock) has 4 leg segments - I would probably look at the top model with 3 leg segments, if at all.
But if you can visit a friend and test one, by all means do. Take your current kit for comparison and then put the 128RC and scope on that tripod and compare. And please share the results!

Joachim

Yes, the backpack trick was a good suggestion. Thanks. I just think that the first time I tried it I did not have enough weight in it. The waterbottle weights is another good suggestion.

I might have misread the listings for the carbon tripod. Good call on the height, etc. I also wondered about the claimed capacity. That only seems to carry so much value. If you have an extremely light, but stiff tripod, that does not mean you won't have vibration, right? It still might be necessary to have weight added to the kit. At least it seems like it would be. No rush. What I have works, but just not perfectly. So be it.

I wonder if this backpack, and extra weights inside it, might be the best choice for now. If it does not improve my current set-up, I am not losing anything, because I can just use the backpack with a new tripod later. I am sure that it will cause some improvement, even if not quite enough.

Hi Scott

There was loads to see - activity was high, raptors, waders, perching birds, ducks etc. Again thought I was prepared - only to find that my iphone hadn't charged AGAIN so no photos ! I must pay more attention.....

When it comes to down loading multiple pictures it seems that it's my IPad that's at fault - will have to swap to the Mac. Any way here's a resident blackbird in my garden from yesterday.

View attachment 721568

That is a bummer about the battery. I bought a battery charger pack from Phoneskope. I suppose they can be found anywhere, but they had a bundle that reduced my shipping cost. So, it made sense at the time. Supposedly I can fully charge my phone battery twice with it before it needs recharged itself. I have only used it once so far.

I am glad you figured out the obstacle to multiple photos.

The blackbird photo is great. I find it interesting that birds by the same name from our respective continents are very similar, but not identical.

I felt like a little kid, staring out the window at the rain, last night. After work, I was penned in the house until dark. LOL. My wife was practicing the piano, and my littlest daughter (13) was watching tv. I was at the patio door trying to wish a squirrel, bird, or other animal into range. Nothing but the rain and dangling lightbulbs that I posted. LOL

Hi,

the stuff is not truly airborne like measles or chicken pox but rather propagated via droplet infection after coughing and smear infection on surfaces.
So even if your aircon was not switched to circulation, it would be fine until an infectious person coughs right into your car's air intake.
Cycling is also recommended!

Birding alone or with your partner is also fine - just don't form flocks of twitchers ;-)

Joachim

I awoke early and was greeted by the news that there are two confirmed cases of the virus in our county. Our county only has around 300k people, and is spread over approximately 400 sq miles. So, a small population, but large enough. I am hoping and praying for the best.

My parents are in good health, but in the age bracket that is identified as being at risk. Since a person that works in the same office as I has been sick with something like the influenza, but has tested negative for all strains, and the doctors advised him to quarantine himself for 2 weeks, I intend to keep my distance from my folks. Not a great morning greeting, but not as bad as many have had to endure.

Odd times...

I wonder if this backpack, and extra weights inside it, might be the best choice for now. If it does not improve my current set-up, I am not losing anything, because I can just use the backpack with a new tripod later. I am sure that it will cause some improvement, even if not quite enough.

Hi,

the Kite backpack sure is nice but was not available when I bought my german mulepack clone a few years ago...

https://orniwelt.de/optik/fernglaeser/zubehoer/358/mulipack-stativtragesystem

It seems the Kite offering is quite a bit larger (no way to put multiple big water bottles into the mulepack - fine for a guide, some sandwiches and a pair of 8x30 bins and a small water bottle on the outside) and seems to be easier to attach (you don't want to take off them mulepack often - it's a hassle).

Btw I just found an older thread with a nice tripod... just not so easily available over here...

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=380094&highlight=audubon+tripod

https://www.theaudubonshop.com/product/birder-tripod-legs-only/

That and a 500AH will probably support your scope nicely if the current combination with the backpack leaves room for improvement.

Joachim

I know this thread has changed because of our circumstances but these are worrying times - it seems that Italy will be going to total lockdown with full home confinement as their deaths rise to near 4000 and Iran are experiencing 1 death every 10 minutes and California has also locked down.

Joachim.....

Flocks of Twichers have been seen bulk buying seeds ( nice one Joachim - good to see a bit of humour). Are you allowed to circulate? What have they done for the self employed and poorest in your communities .....we are hoping today that our Government will pay these sectors directly via our tax system to safeguard them?

My wife and I - 68 & 69 unfortunately have severe health problems and have been in isolation for a week now. My son came round this morning with 3 of our grandchildren, twins of 4 and one 8 and parked on our drive which enabled us to talk to them from a safe distance. All schools are shutting from tomorrow but 2 of my kids are on the frontline so very vulnerable and my other other son had what we think was the virus 3 days ago so his family are also isolated. Panic buying has exploded stressing everyone - and home grocery delivery spots have stretched to 2/3 weeks away.

I see Forums - 'What can you see from your window today? ' ...... A great idea.

I have run out of wild bird food so will struggle to attract the variety to my garden.... I really have been contemplating going to the local garden centre to get some but will be going against advice.

Here's a rubbish pic of a Blue Tit in the garden.

Keep smiling

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    171.8 KB · Views: 17
Hi,

the Kite backpack sure is nice but was not available when I bought my german mulepack clone a few years ago...

https://orniwelt.de/optik/fernglaeser/zubehoer/358/mulipack-stativtragesystem

It seems the Kite offering is quite a bit larger (no way to put multiple big water bottles into the mulepack - fine for a guide, some sandwiches and a pair of 8x30 bins and a small water bottle on the outside) and seems to be easier to attach (you don't want to take off them mulepack often - it's a hassle).

Btw I just found an older thread with a nice tripod... just not so easily available over here...

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=380094&highlight=audubon+tripod

https://www.theaudubonshop.com/product/birder-tripod-legs-only/

That and a 500AH will probably support your scope nicely if the current combination with the backpack leaves room for improvement.

Joachim

I am glad to see that you have a good opinion of the Kite. It looks like a very viable option. While it is currently on sale, I am trying to refrain a bit. A contact of mine is due to pay me, for a pair of binoculars that I sent him, any time now. If he gets me paid before the deal changes, I am going to grab it before the price goes back up.

Thank you for the tripod recommendation. That looks like just exactly what I need. Their guarantee is pretty impressive. I might check the local birder specialty store, just to see if they happen to carry that item. I am not strictly a birder, so I did not think about them before. I would love to patronize them, but doubt that they are open currently. We will see.

I attached one of the hundred or so photos I took this morning. 30mph winds, clouds with the occasional peek of sun, and a distant target, did not help my end result. But, I was elated to have a chance at getting a shot of the little American Kestrel. They are ranked up there with my favorite birds.

I did not realize he was there at first, since he was around 100+ yards away. I did a quick scan with my binoculars, and realized that he was a kestrel and NOT just another blackbird. As soon as I got him in my sights, he dove off of the branch after something.

I waited approximately 15 minutes, and he reappeared. With the tree moving AND my tripod vibrating in the wind (the backpack helped immensely), I think I was lucky to get anything identifiable. I cropped it, and touched up the lighting (I think). 60x with no digital zoom, so it was vignetted.

I know this thread has changed because of our circumstances but these are worrying times - it seems that Italy will be going to total lockdown with full home confinement as their deaths rise to near 4000 and Iran are experiencing 1 death every 10 minutes and California has also locked down.

Joachim.....

Flocks of Twichers have been seen bulk buying seeds ( nice one Joachim - good to see a bit of humour). Are you allowed to circulate? What have they done for the self employed and poorest in your communities .....we are hoping today that our Government will pay these sectors directly via our tax system to safeguard them?

My wife and I - 68 & 69 unfortunately have severe health problems and have been in isolation for a week now. My son came round this morning with 3 of our grandchildren, twins of 4 and one 8 and parked on our drive which enabled us to talk to them from a safe distance. All schools are shutting from tomorrow but 2 of my kids are on the frontline so very vulnerable and my other other son had what we think was the virus 3 days ago so his family are also isolated. Panic buying has exploded stressing everyone - and home grocery delivery spots have stretched to 2/3 weeks away.

I see Forums - 'What can you see from your window today? ' ...... A great idea.

I have run out of wild bird food so will struggle to attract the variety to my garden.... I really have been contemplating going to the local garden centre to get some but will be going against advice.

Here's a rubbish pic of a Blue Tit in the garden.

Keep smiling

The news keeps getting more shocking. Our youngest son (17) had airline tickets to visit our oldest son and daughter-in-law. However, I am going to ask for a refund. Refund or not, I do not think it would be wise to allow him to travel right now.

I am afraid we have not seen the worst of this yet. If things continue to spiral downward, I do not want him on the other side of the world from us. Plus, if he carries it there or back to us, and then it gets to my folks, well, it would be a heart-breaking scenario.

He is not taking the news too well, but...

I am sorry to hear that you and your wife are not only at risk due to age, but also due to health. We will keep you both, and all of us, in prayer. I hope that the seclusion will prevent sickness for you both.

I love the photo of the Blue Tit. That is great that you caught that from your window. I am not sure if that bird is in the U.S., or not. It is beautiful. There do not seem to be many vibrant birds in our immediate area. But, I think sometimes the common birds that ARE vibrant, become less-so in a person's mind. I think of the cardinal, blue-jay, and birds like that. They are beautiful, but we see them every day. Seeing the Blue Tit still puts our jay to shame. lol

I don't know if there are any settings that I could have changed to get a better pic of the kestrel. It definitely looks better on my phone than it does on the computer. Maybe since it was so distant, and light was so low, it is impossible. ???

Attachments

• kestrel2.jpg
    kestrel2.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 19
Scott.....Your photos and patience are excellent......

It's great fun and very satisfying.

I'm still on my IPad but realise now that it hasn't the capacity to send more than one pic at a time.....it's an old one.

image.jpg

Hey Ive just looked at this shot....and I'm getting better. This IPhone's not too bad after all i haven't touched it up either. Like you I'm really getting to like this scope.

Take care

Hi,

germany has not yet been locked down completely - no curfew yet, but I suspect it will happen soon.
Non-essential shops are closed already, restaurants too in some states, most office workers work from home. Large factories have closed down completely.

The economical impact of the measures is already quite terrible for small businesses and self employed people - the government is talking about tax reductions and credits but I'm not sure if that will be enough or happen soon enough for those affected.

I don't think it will be possible to keep up the lockdowns up for longer time periods with the aim to eradicate the virus.

I think they will be short term in order to gain some time to prepare the medical system for a certain number of intensive care cases due to grave symptoms (and maybe get some off label drugs and better tests - especially a well working antibody test - ready).

Then the measures will slowly be lifted in order to get the majority of the population first infected and then immune over time without overwhelming the medical system due to the number of grave symptoms in the process.

Of course, a working and available vaccine would be a much less dangerous way to reach immunity for the majority of the population... let's hope the efforts will show results soon - although the question remains, if the usual bureaucrazy about getting a new vaccine approved will be cut short so we can use it before next year (and next year would already be a lot shorter than the usual multi-year process).

And hopefully all this happens without infecting those really at risk of grave symptoms or even death in the process. If I was 20 years older, I would prepare to see most people via video chat only for a few months - like I'm doing it right now...

Joachim

Last edited:
I think your shots, especially the last one, are great. I really like the detail in the dove photo. I think I need to get closer to the target. Otherwise, how can I get detail like that.

Yes, I think this might be a great scope.

Scott.....Your photos and patience are excellent......

It's great fun and very satisfying.

I'm still on my IPad but realise now that it hasn't the capacity to send more than one pic at a time.....it's an old one.

View attachment 721603

Hey Ive just looked at this shot....and I'm getting better. This IPhone's not too bad after all i haven't touched it up either. Like you I'm really getting to like this scope.

Take care

View attachment 721607

Here's another one....glad you liked it....the Dove was about 50 feet away and taken at about x70

View attachment 721608

Had to reduce the image size a little as to large....but here's another....sorry they are all singularly loaded .

No apology necessary, Ian. I think the fluorite is the reason the color correction is so good.

My wife has been pretty tolerant, and I spent an hour or two at the marsh again last night. I did not get any quality pics, but did get a good quantity. A friend of mine at work is a big duck hunter and Ducks Unlimited staffer. I knew he would identify the ducks for me.

He said I had photos of some rarities. So, even though their quality is seriously lacking (I could not keep my tripod from moving in the wind, plus the distance and lighting...no excuses, but just facts, LOL) I thought I would put them here. Being a more serious birder than I am, you might recognize them. If I remember correctly, their names are as follows:

(If they loaded in the correct order)

1. Shoveler Drake (not rare, I guess)

2. Blue Wing Teal (uncommon in our part of the state)

3. Ruddy Duck (If I matched the correct photo to what he said, he has never seen on in Indiana) EDIT: ACTUALLY...I checked again, and this third pic is actually a Green Wing Teal. The Ruddy, if I am not mistaken, is in the pic foreground of pic #2. It has its bill in the water.

4. Scaup or Bluebill (He said he has NEVER seen one, and they are in big decline)

All pics were ran through Photo Shop Express. Really didn't do much to improve them, but I guess I need better stuff to start with.

Attachments

• PSX_20200320_204432.jpg
    PSX_20200320_204432.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 13
  • PSX_20200321_060342.jpg
    PSX_20200321_060342.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 17
  • PSX_20200321_055736.jpg
    PSX_20200321_055736.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 20200321_060114.jpg
    20200321_060114.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Hi Scott

When I digiscope I get similar results to you at a distance.....(the ducks just won't keep still !! ). It's much easier in the garden. Your pics show a good array of ducks though, similar to near me...your second pic foreground, beak in water is a female Ringed Neck.....the Green Wing Teal is behind. I'm not a pro birder though.....very much an amateur but it is addictive. I walked for 2 hours again this morning but only take my binoculars because Daisy my dog is always with me. ( I attach her via a retractable lead to my waste - can't leave her - she cries and wails). As I've said before, I've got a more portable Opticron scope - I should make use of it.....its just that the quality of our zooms that makes all of the difference. You can see why many birders use cameras and zoom lenses...its the quick reaction that gets the shot.

I've been to the States 8/9 times - New York, Boston, Chicago, Atlanta and Florida. Even though I mapped your region I can't really invisage what it's like. I've been to the Everglades but imagine Indiana to be a cross between the UK and Florida. You've obviously got very varied wild life to us.....and the Blue Tit to us a very prolific species...it would be amazing to see Cardinals and Bluejays in our gardens......and the Bald Eagle ..OMG.

I don't know how to map locate on here but you can see my area at Chaddesley Corbett, UK...post code DY10 4QG.

Yes, I am learning that speed is the key. Speed and a solid mount, that is. Well, also getting close enough to allow image detail to be there. I guess there are multiple keys. LOL. So far, I am getting shots, but none that are great. I had a good time in the woods, though. LOL.

Well, if you get to Chicago again soon, I am roughly 3 hrs east/se. I have never been to the UK, but one of these days... I will look up your location. Always interesting.

Here are my attempts. Out of around 1500 shots, these are the few that are even approaching something worth looking at. I was within 150 feet of the woodpecker, but too many branches between us.

It is impressive that you know the names of the ducks. Too many for me to remember. LOL.

Nothing was sitting still today. LOL. I did some editing to some of the pics. I had my shutter speed too slow, or something. They were really light.

Attachments

• PSX_20200321_151600.jpg
    PSX_20200321_151600.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 25
  • PSX_20200321_150259.jpg
    PSX_20200321_150259.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 21
  • PSX_20200321_151454.jpg
    PSX_20200321_151454.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 24
  • PSX_20200321_155701.jpg
    PSX_20200321_155701.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 28
  • PSX_20200321_155800.jpg
    PSX_20200321_155800.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
1... Wood Duck
2....Teal
3/4..Red Bellied Woodpecker.... The detail is superb

I'm off again early in the morning so as to avoid all...... the 'early bird gets the worm' or picture :t:

I'll repost again tomorrow.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back