• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Diascope and Baader eyepieces (1 Viewer)

Wolf Beam

Hi everyone,

I'm new to Zeiss scopes. I recently bought a used Diascope 85 with a 20-60 Zoom. I like it a lot. However, I'm a fan of fixed 30x eyepieces and Zeiss has none for this scope. After some googling I'm now aware of the Baader Hyperion eyepieces. So with one of these and an adapter I can get top notch quality? Wide view and good eye relief, right? Are there any cons with these? Given the price almost too good to be true (?)

I'm afraid that I can't help you with your Baader enquiry, but Zeiss made a 23x/30x fixed lens for the Diascope you may be able to track down?

I would recommend you also Baader Morpheus eyepieces. You get 76° afov at very good price/quality ratio.

I have Morpheus 12.5mm which will give about 40x magnification with Diascope85. It works well with Diascope using the Baader 1.25" adapter.

14mm will give about 36x and 17.5mm about 29x.

In my opinion the major con is the eyecup design as it is not easy to adjust to different heights.

Juhani

I'm afraid that I can't help you with your Baader enquiry, but Zeiss made a 23x/30x fixed lens for the Diascope you may be able to track down?
Hello,

Yes the Zeiss fixed eyepiece was 30X on the 85mm Diascope. I believe that there was an earlier and a later mount for the Zeiss Diascope eyepieces. Zeiss also made an adapter for 1.25 inch eyepieces.

My attitude was that much above 30x, I would need a heavy tripod. So, I went with the fixed eyepiece. 40X is still less problematic than a zoom which goes to 60X.

Stay safe,
Arthur

the hyperion eyepieces aren’t great at the edge, pentax xf12 or xw14 would b better, but above 30x; i’m guessing the xw14 provides around 35x. the morpheus ep mentioned is excellent

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back