• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss gavia, vortex razor or Kowa 773 (1 Viewer)

Hi,

in that case you have to learn star testing and flip used Kowa TSN-3 (and 4 as you can change the objectives very easily) bodies until you got a cherry...
Then put your SDLv3 on that (although we should do some measurements first to be sure that it really fits like the SDLv2), crank it to 54x and learn to aim the scope quickly at the rarity of the day with the cable tie trick.

The scope envy tends to go away when a queue is forming behind your el-cheapo swaro killer because it offers a super crisp close-up view while the owners of many alpha scopes mutter sth about bad seeing...
The only drawback is that you don't get too much time to enjoy the view yourself that way... on the other hand you get to have a look through a lot of deserted alpha scopes ;-)
Bonus points if you put it into an old skua stay-on case and when people ask what's in there you can answer "Ah, just a 30 year old Kowa TSN-3"...

Joachim, who was lucky and got his cherry on the first try... and then followed the advice of some people on here to get an SDLv2...

In that case it should be noted that:

a) Nikon ED82 usually refers to the last incarnation of the classic Fieldscope ED series which only has quite narrow classic 3x zoom range zoom EPs which are equally sharp and unsuitable for use with glasses due to their very short eye relief..
The old Fieldscope series is best used with the very nice wide angle fixed EPs available for those. If you can snag up one with one or more wide angle fixed EPs at a good price, that can be all you ever need - if you are fine with fixed EPs.

b) In case you meant the current Fieldscope Monarch ED82, there are two zoom EPs available, a classic and not very wide 3x zoom range EP (20-60x in the 82mm body and a tfov of 2.1 down to 1 deg at 60x) and a 2x zoom range wide angle zoom offering 30-60x in the 82mm body and a tfov of 2 deg down to 1.2 deg at 60x.
Multiply deg values by 17.45 for m@1000m or 52.5 for ft@1000y.
So we actually get 105 ft@1000y at 30x for the wide angle zoom which is in the same ballpark as your 117ft at 27x for the Vortex.

And we get a lot of very good reviews for the Fieldscope Monarch series and no report of duds yet... unlike Vortex.

Joachim
I meant the current Monarch. I wasn't aware there was a 30-60x zoom, as I just searched quick and found the 20-60x on Nikon's website. It appears that the field of view on the Monarch 30-60x and Razor 27-60x is very similar. Have you ever compared the two side-by-side?

I would suggest getting the Opticron MM4 77mm, Vortex Razor HD 85mm, and Nikon Fieldscope Monarch ED 82, and comparing them side-by-side, then keeping the one you like best. Imo you could like any of the three best, so you won't know till you look through them and compare them.

Hi Bill
Thanks for the reply ! Overall I’m pretty happy with the opticron set up sometimes just wish I could squeeze a bit more out of it like when I’m at a big estuary for example. I had thought of the 77mm body for it but I hadn’t considered the Swaro 65. I should have mentioned I’m a spectacles wearer too , is the eye relief of the swaro good for specs ?
I wear glasses and don't recall ER being a problem with the Swaro ATS80. I think most modern mid to high end scopes have good ER. The only scope I ever had an ER issue with was a Leica (the old silver/Al version.)

Here's an interesting comparison of Kowa 773 vs Swaro 65 w/20-50x: Kowa 77mm Spotting Scope Comparison and Review - S&S Archery Backcountry

Hi
Thanks for your reply! I’m thinking perhaps getting the mm4 77mm body seems like a good option. It’s just a bit off putting when I see people whipping out swaros etc at every twitch I’m at it’s starting to give me serious scope envy !!!🤣
Keep an eye out on B&H Photo Kowa prices, sometime they have VERY good sales.

Thanks everyone for all the most helpful info, my head is spinning !! You have given me a lot to think about before I part with any hard earned cash. I’m definitely veering more towards the larger opticron 77mm body or perhaps the kowa 773

If you only want/need the extra magnification on the odd occasion, you could try the 2x UTA:

That will give you 30-90x so at the midpoint of the zoom range you'd be getting a decent boost and not lose too much light.

HTH

Cheers, Pete

If you only want/need the extra magnification on the odd occasion, you could try the 2x UTA:

That will give you 30-90x so at the midpoint of the zoom range you'd be getting a decent boost and not lose too much light.

HTH

Cheers, Pete
Hi Pete
Thanks for the info on the uta! Any idea what size adapter ring I need to attach to sdl v3 zoom?

Hi,

as usual, Pete has the best ideas about Opticron products... That is indeed a very cost efficient option for a quick peek at higher magnification... which I might want to have a look at too...

So while you are at it, Pete, please also look up the correct adapter for the SDLv2...

But please test your MM4 first, Glyn - no use getting a magnifier if it is barely sharp at its current maximum magnification...

Joachim

Hi,

as usual, Pete has the best ideas about Opticron products... That is indeed a very cost efficient option for a quick peek at higher magnification... which I might want to have a look at too...

So while you are at it, Pete, please also look up the correct adapter for the SDLv2...

But please test your MM4 first, Glyn - no use getting a magnifier if it is barely sharp at its current maximum magnification...

Joachim
Understood Joachim I’m just waiting for a halfway decent night to do the star test weather in Ireland is moist to say the least !!

Understood Joachim I’m just waiting for a halfway decent night to do the star test weather in Ireland is moist to say the least !!

Hi,

another option is to make an artificial star like this:

- get some aluminum foil and put it on a flat and hard surface - glass is ideal.

- take a pin or needle and make a very tiny hole into it - try to keep it round by just lowering it once and then lifting it.

- hold it in front of a led flashlight and check if you see a round speck of light...

- if yes, fasten it in front of the flashlight with some scotchtape and observe with the scope at distance of 40m or so...

A cool and overcast morning is best to avoid bad seeing.

Joachim

Hi,

another option is to make an artificial star like this:

- get some aluminum foil and put it on a flat and hard surface - glass is ideal.

- take a pin or needle and make a very tiny hole into it - try to keep it round by just lowering it once and then lifting it.

- hold it in front of a led flashlight and check if you see a round speck of light...

- if yes, fasten it in front of the flashlight with some scotchtape and observe with the scope at distance of 40m or so...

A cool and overcast morning is best to avoid bad seeing.

Joachim
Thanks Joachim that sounds very doable even for me !!

For the SDLv3 we have a new adapter ring, part number 40958, price £19.95. Unfortunately, although the product is in stock and ready to ship, we don't yet have photos so it isn't live on the website (although should be by this afternoon UK time). Can be ordered over the phone (01582 726 522, option 2).

For the SDLv2 the adapter ring is part number 40949, price £17. Available via the website or by phone.

Cheers, Pete

For the SDLv3 we have a new adapter ring, part number 40958, price £19.95. Unfortunately, although the product is in stock and ready to ship, we don't yet have photos so it isn't live on the website (although should be by this afternoon UK time). Can be ordered over the phone (01582 726 522, option 2).

For the SDLv2 the adapter ring is part number 40949, price £17. Available via the website or by phone.

Cheers, Pete
Thanks Pete !

Can people post fields of view in degrees and also note the width of the apparent field of view and this tells you how “straw like” the view is when you look into it. I prefer expansive apparent fields as it makes finding things easier and is more immersive.

I don’t have Swaro envy (apart from the fact they are quite lightweight) as I use either an old small astro apo refractor or a pair of angled 70mm ED astro binoculars, so I get very wide (sometimes 2eyed - why squint if you don’t need to?) fields that are sharp to the edge… I do get odd looks, but I get better views.

I though that Nikon spotters could take 1.25” astro eyepieces, to give plenty of good widefield options. I tend to run with a fixed power of around 30x with a spare “high power” option in my pocket if I feel the need. Much preferred over far narrower views that (pretty much) all zooms give.

Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back