• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Harpia 95 - Swarovski ATX 95 - Subjective comparison (1 Viewer)

Binocular views are certainly easier for prolonged viewing, adjusting IPD and focus isn’t a big issue and can be done fairly quickly. I would have thought with an angled view if you set the height a bit low then taller people just bend down a bit more and so you don’t need to adjust the tripod height much.

Could people list fields of view in degrees of apparent field rather than meters/feet…. I like wide fields and find anything less than about 65degrees is claustrophobic. Fixed eyepiece can give wider and sharper results as they are not a compromise. I tend to keep to one power unless I need to push into the distance or reduce power due to low light.

Peter

Hello

I'm coming back after a while to report some informations about the problem I describe in the post #32.

The conclusion is : "it really seems to be a problem with me ...and not the scope..."

Friends of me tested my Atx 92 and didn't see any problems.

I was at the festival of animal photography of Montier-en-Der in France.
There was ALL the material of ALL thes marks for the observation and photography of wild animals.
It is possible to test and compare them.

I try others Atx 92 and I saw every time the same problem.
I spoke with an Austrian salesman from Swarovski :
he explained me : the problem is that I have the miopie + presbitie + astimatie and the glasses with progressive lenses.

I had the opportunity to test a BTX - and I really like that - a real pleasur.
I think I'll change the ATX for the BTX.

By
Claude

The BTX is considerably heavier, but without ever having had the chance to look through one, I'm sure the view must be much more pleasing. I guess Swarovski had a good salesperson there as the BTX is also much more expensive. ;)

How thoroughly have you ever tested the STX, the one with a straight view? I find that angled views through any scopes are very uncomfortable and bothering with my glasses, as I always end up looking through the close-focus part (I need to keep my glasses on as you do). With a straight view scope, I can always use the upper part of my glasses that is corrected for the distance view. I use triple-focus glasses instead of the progressive ones you do, but the basic problem is the same. Only, with your progressive ones you have even less control through which focus section you are actually looking. So as you use the scope, you easily move around a bit, the reason for getting out of focus intermittently. The forehead rest on the BTX stabilizes your head and thus the view becomes more controlled. But the STX allows such a control as well for me.

Last edited:
Another option is to get some single vision glasses for birding.
I never use anything else with optics.
Progressive lenses for most uses but never for birding.

How thoroughly have you ever tested the STX, the one with a straight view?

I have unfortunately not tested the BTX

Another option is to get some single vision glasses for birding.
It is an option

Robert said:
--PS: What's your species on the avatar? I often have no clue!

It's a pelican of Chile (Antofagasta) - I really like it
he observe me .... as we observe them.

Attachments

• IMG_6478-LR-2 m.JPG
    IMG_6478-LR-2 m.JPG
    179 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_7118-LR s.jpg
    IMG_7118-LR s.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_7312-LR-1.jpg
    IMG_7312-LR-1.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 119
Lots of nice info and comments on these two top teir spotting scopes
Swarovski ATX 30-70x95 and the Zeiss Harpia 23-70x95
Will be purchasing one soon, leaning towards the Swarovski

Hi,
I just tried side by side a Swaro ATX 95 and a Zeiss Harpia 95.
Both looks good but I was surprised that the Harpia seems to show image deformation on circularly around the the objective (up to 1or 2 cm). it is like when you are looking on the border of the back miror of your car: image appears smaller with deformation (to extand the angle view).
Somebody already noticed that?
Regards
Yves

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back