• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Lifetime Warranty Issue (2 Viewers)

Tom Cook

Joined Friday at 5:05 PM
Last seen Friday at 5:27 PM
-----------------------------
1 posting ------------
Joins up - makes his "rant" about Asians - then disappears.
This reflects more on the OP then it does on Zeiss.

What "smell"? I think no company can really keep stock for vintage binos to repair them indefinitely. Even a "lifetime warranty" has limits (keep in mind that a lifetime warrenty even violates trade laws in Germany -- so German companies cannot even offer it -- at least not for stuff they sell directly in Germany -- I guess that is the reason why you can still get a Dialyt repaired in Canada but maybe not directly in Germany. So a Zeiss branch in another country would have to keep their own stock of parts to fullfill the lifetime warranty). I had a similar problem with a vintage Hensoldt pre-WWII that I inherited from my grandpa. Zeiss for some time offered service for old Hensoldts but they stopped doing it. The company who now still does service for them (a third party), told me they cannot repair it as it is too old.
An independent bino repair shop told me, they can't even guess how much it might cost and if they damage something, they can get no parts and it's ruined. So I kept them as is and will work on a few other cheap binos till I have the knowledge and the nerve to repair and restore them myself. Because the optics are still amazing -- those were built before "pincushion distortion" was even a thing so they have no distortion and pretty sharp edges, too). So I hope to restore them one day, give them a real leather cover, clean the prisms (uncoated so should be no problem) and put them back together.
However those are porros, so working on them is not really that hard. I never took apart a roof prism bino so far.

Last edited:
I guess the question if Classics were a premium glass at the time?, So the replacement of an in production lower budget glass (Terra) was perhaps a surprise. I guess they could replace it with a Victory, but what do I know.
The victory would still be Asian manufacturing which is the issue with the OP I think.

I have a pair of Zeiss 10x25B ClassicB compact binoculars for several years (purchased new). I had an issue with the focusing not resetting to zero and sent them to Zeiss in Hebron, KY for inspection and repair based on the Lifetime Warranty (I purchased the bino's new from an authorized Zeiss dealer).
Zeiss responded back that they could no longer repair these binoculars and would be replacing them with the Asian manufacturedTerra ED version of binoculars. I purchased German Manufactured binoculars because I liked the heritage and quality normally considered to be excellent with German designed and manufactured products (Zeiss included). The Terra ED's that Zeiss wanted to replace my German made binoculars with are Asian Mfg. I did not want binoculars manufactured in Asia. That's why I purchased what I preferred (binoculars manufactured in Germany).
Bottom line, I asked Zeiss to return my German manufactured binoculars and I am willing to pay a competent/capable repair shop to get my binoculars in alignment and to the point where I can enjoy them again.
I am not telling anyone what they should buy, and don't mean to degrade Asian manufactured products. They are just not for me and not what I purchased, nor expected as a replacement for binoculars that I would think should be repairable by the manufacture (focus not resetting to zero issue).
Please don't think I am degrading the Terra line of binoculars. If you own a pair I hope that you are enjoying them and wish you the best. I am only telling my story because Zeiss and I did not see eye to eye and I am disappointed and wanted to air my thoughts. Zeiss can move their manufacturing facilities to wherever they want and hopefully maintain the quality that they built their heritage on. I just will not be purchasing any more items from them.

TC
Was the offer to swap them even?

Does OP have reason to believe that the Asian manufactured instrument will be inferior in any way to the one manufactured in Germany?

How long will the newer Glasses FL HT and SF repaired? A 42mm HT in 20 years repairable or buying a new when there is a defekt?
Hello. In 2021, I was sending my 8x42 HT to ZEISS for a focuser repair. All the work was done for free. The binoculars are back in the condition of a new product. They even replaced the rubber coating. But at the time of shipment, the binoculars were under warranty. What will happen to products outside the warranty period, I can guess from the experience of my FL 8 x32, which was repaired to the condition of a new product, but for my money)

Why even revisit this year old one off post by someone who joined just to have a moan, it's pointless and contributes nothing to the forum. As mentioned the poster just vanishes after initial bleat. Thread should be closed.

You can always ignore this topic if you are not interested in it. And leave the rest the right to decide for themselves where and when to write to them. And it will be the right thing to do.
Yes I can; however I am keen and contribute on optics discussions.....but not so when my news feed becomes cluttered with pointless notifications - all the recent posts being unrevealed.

Was the offer to swap them even?
Zeiss didn't offer to replace mine. I sent my Zeiss 10x25B's in for repair and got the same song and dance except they would offer me $100 trade in on some pair of binoculars. I bought the mini's new about 40-45 years ago. I asked one more question of Zeiss and they never replied. In about two weeks they sent my 10x25B's back to me. Nice game manuf play, stop keeping parts and voiding your warranty.

Skilled optics repairers can manufacture new optics.
But the original glass types may not be available, say lead glass.
Thorium glass isn't allowed any more.

Then we have Hassleblad wide cameras that were stopped because I think of small amounts of lead solder.

Many 1960s cameras used mercury batteries. These are no longer allowed and replacements aren't great.

As to mechanical parts. If these are not available skilled workers could make new parts.

My friend repaired watches and had bottles of radium paint made in Switzerland that he used to paint hands and dials. He is still around in his late 80s.

A Zeiss variable separation binocular was sent to a top repairer, but he was unable to collimate it.
No doubt Zeiss could make a rig or actually still have the means of doing this, but don't.

Manufacturers also generally don't deal with serious fungus.

There are many reasons why old binoculars are not repaired, but a skilled person may be able to do it himself or herself.

Horace Dall repaired all Zeiss and Leica microscopes throughout WW2.
He made all the necessary optics and parts himself and probably aspherised optics if it gave better results.

Some of the drains under British pavements are over a hundred years old.
They may be repaired by using sub diameter plastic pipes.

My friend used to repair his 1920s Vauxhall car himself and race it.
Even making new engine parts.

Old aero lenses were bought back from ex gov. dealers and brought back into service.

The Vulcan in the Falklands had parts that were used as ashtrays and bits from museums.

I think the shuttle had old computer parts bought back from the internet.

As to old binoculars,it sometimes just isn't commercially sensible to fix them unless you do it yourself.

Then we have people who want to multicoat old single coated binoculars.
Why waste your time on futility?

Regards,
B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back