• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Zeiss lover gets wooed by the Leica "enhanced reality" look (1 Viewer)

Mike F

Yes, bokeh with regards to binoculars would be a very interesting subject to explore. I used to be somewhat into photography myself and have, among other lenses, a Nikon F 85mm f/1.4 which has wonderful bokeh. I’ve always thought personally that bokeh enhances the in-focus subject. I think because I’m not a birder I actually prefer soft edges to my binocular view as, for me, it seems to have that effect of enhancing the sweet spot.

jcnguyen09

I bought my new NV 10x42 Green color for about $2K US from Duncan, Leica de lisse in Netherland, shipping free to US. It takes about a week. Don't know if he still has in stock but it is better than $2849 market price in the United States.

tenex

reality-based
There definitely are reviewers (Tobias Mennle leaps to mind; isn't his background cinematography?) who focus on aesthetic qualities of view over technical perfection in binoculars.. but few preserve those in photos. And bokeh just isn't going to be a major concern when most people here are using 7 or 8x binoculars with massive depth of field.

jafritten

And bokeh just isn't going to be a major concern when most people here are using 7 or 8x binoculars with massive depth of field.
I think any comparison between photography and binocular viewing is bound to be flawed. There are many reasons for that.

One reason is that the distance between the eyes of a binocular user and the subject they are viewing (e.g. a distant bird) is usually much larger than, say, a face that is being photographed with a 90mm Summicron. The Summicron - or Mike's Nikkor 85mm for that matter - will generate a fantastic bokeh, a nicely blurred background. Pointing a portrait lens at that distant bird will result in a photo with little or no bokeh at all. This goes to show that depth of field (and so: bokeh) is also dependent on the distance between you and the subject. Moreover, bokeh is also dependent on the distance between the subject and the background. You can, in fact, generate a great bokeh-effect with a 7x binocular when your subject is very close to you, say 3 meters, and the distance between the subject and the background is, say, 30 meters.

Mike F

@jafritten I totally agree with all of the above. However, I think I’ve become much more aware of bokeh when viewing with binoculars because I’ve been using my 12x50 UV’s so much recently. The other day I was looking at insects on plants and long grasses which were about 7 meters away with water reflecting bright sunlight glistening in the background. The DOF is so shallow with that binocular anyway, but under certain conditions such as the above it’s bokeh is very obvious.

jafritten

@jafritten I totally agree with all of the above. However, I think I’ve become much more aware of bokeh when viewing with binoculars because I’ve been using my 12x50 UV’s so much recently. The other day I was looking at insects on plants and long grasses which were about 7 meters away with water reflecting bright sunlight glistening in the background. The DOF is so shallow with that binocular anyway, but under certain conditions such as the above it’s bokeh is very obvious.
I'm sure your 12x sets off the insects nicely! Can you tell the difference between your UV and another 12x? That would be interesting to know. I will compare my 10x32 UV to my 10x42 garden shed bin. I wonder if the bokeh is any different.

It's interesting that people who view photos are very concerned with the out of focus areas (I for one) but I have never thought about the qualities of the out of focus areas when looking through binoculars.

Mike F

@jafritten, Unfortunately I don’t have another 12x binocular to compare my UV with. There must be other members here who own two 12x bins, but I suspect that it’s a magnification that most people don’t have a duplicate of.

Mike F

@jafritten, just wondering what you’re decided to do. Are going for a 10x42 UVHD+ or the NV? You wouldn’t be disappointed with either, and many prefer the ergonomics of the UV....... I would only recommend that you try the NV before committing, but you may well prefer the UV.

jafritten

@jafritten, just wondering what you’re decided to do. Are going for a 10x42 UVHD+ or the NV? You wouldn’t be disappointed with either, and many prefer the ergonomics of the UV....... I would only recommend that you try the NV before committing, but you may well prefer the UV.
Hi Mike, I'm not going to buy one anytime soon. Another pair of binoculars would be nice; it would be even nicer, though, to have more time to use the ones I've got....I'm telling you.

I've just returned from a holiday where I did, in fact, have quite a fair bit of time to use my binoculars. I had my UV 10x32 HD and my UV 7x42+ with me. Whenever I decided in favour of the 10x I asked myself "Would I rather have a x42 now?" - and the answer was NO. While I often wish for a brighter and crisper view with less CA (like the UV 7x42+), I wouldn't like to give the advantages of the 10x32 a miss.

I used to own the UV 10x42+ for a couple of months which I then sold hastily to fund a Nikkor telephoto. So, I know the differences between those two models quite well. What I like better about the x32 is the size and weight - which does play a role when I'm just wearing a T-shirt -, the wider FOV, and the panning comfort which I find is greater than in the 10x42 or the 7x42. I must say that I often use the 10x32 to scan open or half-open country for wildlife. I don't normally use it for prolonged viewing. That's why I said NO.

I also look through binoculars for the sheer pleasure of it and I love immersing in nature by looking through binoculars. It feels a bit like diving to me. My 7s do a perfect job here but I also love the 10x magnification. So, I will go for a bright and crisp 10x42 sooner or later and the NV is definitely on my list. If I drop 2k+ for yet another binocular, I will certainly try and compare. It's gotta be the right one.

Cheers

ZDHart

Supporter
I bought my new NV 10x42 Green color for about $2K US from Duncan, Leica de lisse in Netherland, shipping free to US. It takes about a week. Don't know if he still has in stock but it is better than $2849 market price in the United States.
Wow.. great price

dries1

jcnguyen09,

The Warranty is for 10 years here in the US if you buy from them in Lisse, for some here in the US that is sufficient as that is what the warranty is in the EU. Here in the US it is longer for the higher price.

Users who are viewing this thread