• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

Zeiss SF 10x42 dissection (1 Viewer)

corvid-8

Expanding the rubber eye covers - I have just expanded some "rubber/silicone" sandals which were tight on my feet. I put them in the tumble dryer with some washing for 1/2 hour and it worked a treat.
BTW -I take no responsibility for screw-ups o_O

dorubird

Romania
My SF 10x42 was a bit off collimation, so I sent them to Zeiss. The binoculars was back home in less than a month. Very happy with Zeiss service! I also received a certificate with the signature of the engineer who took care of my repair: Thanks to Mr. N. Kaparulin! :) Well done Zeiss!

The binoculars now impress me even more than initially. Extremely comfortable for the eyes and handling! The SF 10x42 had anyway the highest resolution I have encountered in any binoculars (I carefully tested at least 70 binoculars). Also, the color tones and the dynamics of the grays are rich, with delicates details and gradients even in the shaded areas due to the excellent 93% light transmission (in the middle of the visible spectrum). Best binoculars for me in this class!

Look at these wonderful huge eyepieces like two deep black lakes!!!!
Victory SF oculars 4.jpg

james holdsworth

Consulting Biologist
Hard to tell from the photo but the AR coatings look quite different from my 10x32 SF…which look like purple kool-aid with no magenta or reddish tones.

dorubird

Romania
James,
I don't have SF 10x32, but Conquest 10x42 seems to have a coating shade closer to what you say. Here is a comparative picture between SF 10x42 and Conquest 10x42: 2.jpg

james holdsworth

Consulting Biologist
Thanks for taking the photo, I was referring to the ocular coating… In my 10 X 32‘s the objective coating is a psychedelic magenta, appears similar to the 42 mm SF.

Troubador

Staff member
Supporter
Nice review and pictures. I wish the Zeiss SF 8x42 and 10x42 had worked for me. I found them excellent in every area like you except for seeing crescent orange flares on the lower part of FOV in every sample I tried, and I tried 3 different samples. The phenomena are well documented in the threads and there are many photos of it. Allbino's even talks about it. I don't see it in the smaller SF 8x32 or 10x32. Just a good example of how we are all different in if we see glare or not in certain binoculars.

"The Zeiss Victory SF is the proof that it is possible to produce a pair of binoculars with a very wide field of view which is also perfectly corrected. If not for that strange slip-up with reflections beyond the eyepiece's diaphragm, most likely caused by a shiny ring inside tubes which aren’t baffled properly by apertures, you would get an instrument optically perfect, an ideal."

Dennis
I don't have SF 42s any longer having gone lightweight and converted to 32s. But I can remember seeing the orange rim to which you refer. I am sure this wasn't 'flare' or 'glare' but it was there if I looked for it. But here is the thing: I never, ever, saw it during normal use of the SF 42 and indeed totally forgot about it during the time that I owned the SF42. If you are interested in using SF 10x42 to look at nature then this orange rim is a non-issue.

Lee

dorubird

Romania
Same for me,
I looked for this type of orange rim for a long time and I only saw it a few times with the sun near the field, but only if I was not in the normal optical axis and try to look very off-centered to see this. Only in that weird position you can see this orange rim and only with Sun proximity. In this weird position I can't even see the entire FOV, so much off-center I must be to see this orange ring!!! So, in the correct and natural position this orange rim is impossible to see. Zeiss SF is the binocular that does not suffer from any glare! For example I directly compared SF 10x42 with Swarovski EL Swarovision 10x42. The latter had a decrease in contrast at the bottom of the image (glare) when looking at the tops of some trees against the sky light. The Zeiss had the perfect contrast over the entire surface of the FOV when looking at same trees, regardless of the positions of the Sun in front of the binoculars. This SF 10x42 It's perfect from glare aspect!

Users who are viewing this thread