• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss SF 8x32 vs Swarovski SV 8x32 (1 Viewer)

jan van daalen

Got my hand today on the new SF32 and grabbed the 32SV for comparison. Unfortunately the Leica UV32 was not there;)

Taking the SV in my hands, the tubes feel smaller at the mouse of my hands because of the thumb grips this model has. Something the SF lacks and because of that it feels really bigger. Space between the bridges is 1 mm larger for the SV and the tube diameter is only 4 mm smaller so that can't be it.
Taking a look at the position of my focus finger after having used the bins, I see that they are at the exact same position with the SF as with the SV. So the position of the focus knob of both bins is irrelevant (for me).
Checking the balance while resting the bins on my thumbs/mouse of my hands, it turns out both are heavier on the objective side. No difference here.

Looking at the eyecups, from a distance, the exit pupil of the SF is perfect round with no leakage what so ever from the prism.
The SV shows prism leaking and also perfect round exit pupils.

It's obvious. The SF has no FF was my first impression. While the FOV seems to be 15 meters wider compared to the SV, the edge to edge sharpness of the SF is less.
Looking at the leaves of trees in the direction of the sun, both show glare in the same amount.

The focus knob of the SF has a diameter of 35 mm where the SV shows 29 mm. The SF is super smooth with no lash where so ever.
The SV just hasn't has that smoothness and the well known difference in left right turning resistance due to its spring design.

The view through both is superb and while looking through them both show piscushion and it strikes me while looking for that, the SF shows a blue ring round the outer FOV, where the SV shows no sign of anything but clear view.
Looking straight through both bins (and now I noticed it) it is hardly visible with the SF but clearly visible while looking near the edges of the FOV.

Both have the same close focus distance but a price difference of 450,00 euro in favour for the SV. Ouch!!!

Is the FOV visible wider in the SF? The SV shows edge to edge sharpness where the SF doesn't and yes, the view through the SF is wider but to be honest not noticeable wider to me. Just once measuring it and looking for it, it is there but during "normal observations" .........nehh.

This is going to be a tough job for Zeiss to shoot the SV out of the water, due to the current price drop of the SV, but the SF is a superb piece of art.

Jan

Last edited:
Interesting findings Jan, if the extra 15m fov isn`t really noticeable are we to assume the extra fov in the NL won`t be that noticeable either in practical use.

Still hoping to try one but I`m surprised to hear the balance of the SF is front heavy.

Thanks Jan. Like you I can't get all that excited about an extra wide FOV. I've used everything from 315 feet to 477 feet and about 420 feet seems good enough.

Just bought a second 8x32 SV for my wife. Finally I can use one myself since she gets it every time we travel.

Mark

PS: Well, except for some 10x. I really don't remember the FOV on those.

Last edited:
Nice review, Jan. Interesting about the blue ring around the outer FOV in the Zeiss SF 8x32. I noticed an orange ring around the outer FOV in the Zeiss SF 8x42 especially around the bottom. Since you didn't notice that much difference in FOV between the two binoculars I am wondering if the law of diminishing returns applies to FOV also. As the FOV gets larger you have to have bigger incremental increases to notice a difference. Between the SF and the NL which one did you prefer? I am trying to decide between the two.

Nice review, Jan. Interesting about the blue ring around the outer FOV in the Zeiss SF 8x32. I noticed an orange ring around the outer FOV in the Zeiss SF 8x42 especially around the bottom. Since you didn't notice that much difference in FOV between the two binoculars I am wondering if the law of diminishing returns applies to FOV also. As the FOV gets larger you have to have bigger incremental increases to notice a difference. Between the SF and the NL which one did you prefer? I am trying to decide between the two.

Dennis,

Knowing you, it wouldn't matter. You're gonna send them back anywayB :)

Jan

I thought you cancelled your order. Do you really have no binoculars at the moment?
I picked a rare brand-new pair of Leica Trinovid BA 7x42 on eBay which I really like and I also grabbed a pair of Kowa Genesis 8x33 on that $800 special at Cameraland, so I am not without binoculars. The salesman talked me out of cancelling the NL. He said he has tried the NL, and he thought they were "phenomenal" and the best binocular on the market. So I kept my pre-order on the NL 8x42 but I didn't order the head rest because I don't think you will need it with the 8x42 and it is added weight.

Last edited:
... so I think I made the right choice going with the NL.
Rather than joking about this, I'm curious: what does "right choice" mean for you? The question is prompted by paddy7's recent remark about forming a relationship with binos and good experiences had with them, as I also do. But your memories seem to focus on problems instead, on the glare instead of the goat so to speak. Where is the actual enjoyment, and why aren't we hearing about it? We might even be able to help you sustain it.

Rather than joking about this, I'm curious: what does "right choice" mean for you? The question is prompted by paddy7's recent remark about forming a relationship with binos and good experiences had with them, as I also do. But your memories seem to focus on problems instead, on the glare instead of the goat so to speak. Where is the actual enjoyment, and why aren't we hearing about it? We might even be able to help you sustain it.
I enjoy using the binoculars but I also enjoy trying new ones and seeing how they compare. I have an interest in birding and nature viewing but I also have an interest in optics. I know you don't need a $3K pair of binoculars to bird with but I enjoy trying and using fine optics. It all started when I had an Astronomy class in college. The physics and the math behind optics really intrigued me and I became interested in telescopes and Astronomy which I pursued for many years having many types and sizes. Eventually my interest crossed over to binoculars and birding because I think binoculars are more portable and usable. I think it is fun to try different binoculars and I enjoy it as a hobby.

Fortunately, for me anyway, all this is just rhetorical internet jabber (with no offense directed or intended to Jan whose posts I always appreciate). I have the 8x42 Victory HT's which continue to amaze me and the 8x32 Conquest HD's which also continue to amaze me. It's kind of like high end audio; me ears can only appreciate so much along with my wallet. The SF's and any Swaro with Swarovision hold zero appeal as the latter make me dizzy and the wider FOV of the SF's don't surpass the brighter imaging of the HT's. And Dennis, after all these years, is still pointless to read or pay attention to (which is why he's been on ignore almost from my first months here).

OK, thanks. I suppose that should have been obvious, but somehow it's easy to take too seriously. (And I still don't get what "right choice" means... won't you just have to try both?)
To be honest the blue ring around the FOV of the Zeiss SF is enough for me to be wary of those. I had two new Zeiss SF 8x42 and I saw an orange ring around the FOV which caused me to return them. It bothered me. I also prefer the edge to edge sharpness of the Swarovski design. I am glad I preordered the NL.

Every thread started about the NL and SF by well meaning members wanting to pass on their experiences with these two new models to those of us wanting information has morphed into a thread about Dennis and his constant stream of nonsense.

Please can we talk about the NL and SF without reference to what direction Dennis is leaning in each day.

Every thread started about the NL and SF by well meaning members wanting to pass on their experiences with these two new models to those of us wanting information has morphed into a thread about Dennis and his constant stream of nonsense.

Please can we talk about the NL and SF without reference to what direction Dennis is leaning in each day.

Strongly seconded.

Hermann

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back