• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss SF 8x32 vs Swarovski SV 8x32 (1 Viewer)

I've only owned maybe eight or ten 8x32mm but I don't recall any of them being ocular heavy or eyepiece heavy. They just aren't long enough or heavy enough to make a difference. To me anyway. The weight is about as centered as it could get.

Mark

Hopefully it will be like the 42, I really believe its the SF`s trump card, I can hold it up indefinitely it seems, even my arms seem to counter their own weight when holding them, I`v never found this with any other binocular and I do think it helps to find more Birds because they are constantly up to my eyes.

Even if the NL is "better" optically I don`t think I`d swap the SF`s amazing balance.

Hopefully it will be like the 42, I really believe its the SF`s trump card, I can hold it up indefinitely it seems, even my arms seem to counter their own weight when holding them, I`v never found this with any other binocular and I do think it helps to find more Birds because they are constantly up to my eyes.

Even if the NL is "better" optically I don`t think I`d swap the SF`s amazing balance.

HI Tor,

In 42 there is no difference in balance between the SF and NL.

Regarding the balance between the 32 SV and SF, when I compare the both, held each one of them in my hands, look through them and loosen the grip, both bins fall down at the objective side. Could be because of my grip and/or hands but that's the way it is in my situation.

Jan

Hello, I think the balance of SF32 is pretty good.
When I grab the binoculars, put my index finger on the focus wheel naturally, it just has the perfect balance.
Here’s a short video I took to demonstrate how I hold the SF10x32.
https://m.bilibili.com/video/BV14a4y177WK

hk

Thanks, hk. I was skeptical that this kind of balance could be achieved with a 32 mm and posted this several times, but when I tried out SF32 I did what you did in the video and found out I was wrong. Nearly dropped the binos in the process too.

Lee

Thanks, hk. I was skeptical that this kind of balance could be achieved with a 32 mm and posted this several times, but when I tried out SF32 I did what you did in the video and found out I was wrong. Nearly dropped the binos in the process too.

Lee

i like the music in this video

Edmund

Discussion of balance got me thinking so I checked both my 8.5 SV and 8x32 SV. Both are, for me, perfectly balanced. Why? Without really thinking about it, I use an asymmetrical grip on both: left thump forward, right thumb back. In fact I tried a symmetrical grip on the 8x32, using both thumb indents, and it felt clumsy. If I use both thumb indents on the 8.5 my fingers get all tangled up over the focus wheel.

I can lift all my fingers and the 32 is balanced. Same with the 8.5.

Just a thought. Symmetry might be overrated.

Mark

Thank you. I recorded it years ago when my voice was more highly pitched than it is today :king:

Lee

(Joke)

The real problem with this thread is that only a few Lords of the Light have seen the SF32, those who discuss the Swaro competition ie NL32 do so in some locked hidden corner of this forum that is guarded by the Foreign Legion, while everyone has been exposed to the nameless one. People discuss what they know (joke).

Or else we will like children listen to the sweet duet between you and that Gentleman Salesman in the land of tulips.
Edmund

Last edited:
Discussion of balance got me thinking so I checked both my 8.5 SV and 8x32 SV. Both are, for me, perfectly balanced. Why? Without really thinking about it, I use an asymmetrical grip on both: left thump forward, right thumb back.

Mark

I do this as well (with the 8.5x42, it's been a few years since I owned the 8x32s so I can't recall), and I believe Alexis Powell posted something about this awhile ago also.
It really provides a perfect grip and is feels perfectly normal to me.

I also don't know how big of a deal weighting binoculars towards the eyepieces is for most people, I've almost never thought about that as an issue. Weight as whole can be problematic for me, but typically less when the binos are in the hand and more when they are hanging around the neck while bushwhacking for 10+ hours.

Justin

Last edited:
Justin do you use a regular neck strap instead of a harness or bandolier style over the shoulder carry?

I don’t notice the weight of 42’s particularly, though I prefer lighter if I can get it. I do notice the superior weight distribution of the SF vs EL in 42mm and feel like I can hold it stiller and use it longer without fatigue.

I do this as well (with the 8.5x42, it's been a few years since I owned the 8x32s so I can't recall), and I believe Alexis Powell posted something about this awhile ago also.

I also don't know how big of a deal weighting binoculars towards the eyepieces is for most people, I've almost never thought about that as an issue. Weight as whole can be problematic for me, but typically less when the binos are in the hand and more when they are hanging around the neck while bushwhacking for 10+ hours.

Justin

Justin
I have used SF42s in 8x and 10x for years now and heres how the 'eyepiece heavy' balance works for me. It might be different for others.

But first a brief story to illustrate what I am going to say. I was present when the young man who purchases binos for sale at a nearby nature reserve first saw an early grey SF, and realising it was something he hadn't seen before asked to have a look at them. The SFs were put down on the Reserve Reception desk and the young man picked them up. As soon as he lifted the binos up to his chest he stopped and a huge smile was over his face as he looked up and said 'wow aren't they light?'. Now SF8x42 is a bit lighter than an EL but not by a huge amount. What I believe he was experiencing was the weight being closer to the grip of the hand, and this makes the weight feel less. IMHO.

And this is what I have found using the SF42s for years. Lift them up and they don't feel as heavy in the hand as the numbers tell you they should.

Furthermore when lifted up to the eyes, this concentration of weight is shared closely between your hands, especially your thumbs, and your eye sockets or spectacles and less of it is cantilevered out at the far end of the objectives.

To me it makes the bino feel lighter in use and the SF10x is steadier than other 10x binos apart from heavy ones (think MeoStar 42s) which equal it (especially in gusty wind conditions) but this steadiness deteriorates due to arm fatigue the longer I look through them. The SFs stay steady for longer. In fact the real value IMHO comes into play when observing behaviour because I can simply hold the SFs up for longer than, eg my Meoptas. When watching the behaviour of Sea Eagles and Otters it is good to be able to view for longer periods without lowering the arms to rest.

Would this really make anyone choose SF instead of another make and model? Obviously everyone has their own priorities and preferences but I go back to the unprepared and spontaneous reaction of that young man at the nature reserve. Nobody told him about the SF's weight distribution (the unit was a pre-production model) but his smile when he lifted them up said more than any advertising could.

Having tried out SF32s I found that they perform in a similar fashion.

Lee

Last edited:
... I believe Alexis Powell posted something about this awhile ago also.

I posted it in (partial) jest. https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=3447134

... I also don't know how big of a deal weighting binoculars towards the eyepieces is for most people, I've almost never thought about that as an issue. Weight as whole can be problematic for me, but typically less when the binos are in the hand and more when they are hanging around the neck while bushwhacking for 10+ hours...

Agreed on those points.

--AP

Justin do you use a regular neck strap instead of a harness or bandolier style over the shoulder carry?

I don’t notice the weight of 42’s particularly, though I prefer lighter if I can get it. I do notice the superior weight distribution of the SF vs EL in 42mm and feel like I can hold it stiller and use it longer without fatigue.

I've switched primarily to the Rick Young Ultralight harness which I convert to various styles. Mostly I use it in the standard harness style.

Lee: I can understand the value of it, but weight distribution is something I've never really thought of. I never really find the 42-56mm models heavy in hand, just heavy around the neck after prolonged use.

Alexis: I did not realize that was posted in jest, but in truth that is how I hold the EL SV as well as many other full-sized binoculars (42mm FL, SLC, Kowa Genesis, etc.). It provides a very relaxed and stable position and also works well one handed for quick views. I find it more natural than putting both hands towards the eyepieces.

Justin

Lee: I can understand the value of it, but weight distribution is something I've never really thought of. I never really find the 42-56mm models heavy in hand, just heavy around the neck after prolonged use.

Justin

I know what you mean and changing the weight distribution doesn't change the weight hanging from your neck, and anyway I still enjoy heavy and conventionally balanced binos like Meopta MeoStars.

Lee

Last edited:
Just make lead third party eyecups for the other binoculars and their center of gravity will pitch eyewards

This is getting ridiculous
Edmund

This is getting ridiculous
Edmund

No, it isn't. Weight distribution is important, as anyone who ever used e.g. a Zeiss Dialyt 8x56 for some time will know. And the difference between e.g. the Zeiss HT 8x42 and the SF 8x42 is more than obvious to anyone who ever compared them.

Sure, if you only use your binoculars for a couple of minutes at a time, weight distribution is of no importance.

Hermann

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back