• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss SFL 10x40 specific tests or reviews please (1 Viewer)

Swissboy

Sempach, Switzerland
Supporter
Switzerland
I think it is widely undisputed that the new SFL 8x40 is an amazing entry by Zeiss. However, there is very little specific info on the 10x model. And whatever I have seen so far, it seems the 10x version shines much less. Yet, I am specifically interested in that model, among other things because I would like to replace my wife's 20 year old Victory I 10x40 in due time.

One question to me is whether the few reports (mostly just mentioned on the side) are about pilot models, or whether they are about the regular serial types. And in order to find any info/remarks specific to the 10x40 version without having to dig through the many posts on the SFL in general, I am herewith opening a thread specific to just the 10x40 SFL.

One of those brief mentions are from HenRun here: New Zeiss binos 8x40 SFL and 10x40 SFL in post #849.

Last edited:
I think it is widely undisputed that the new SFL 8x40 is an amazing entry by Zeiss. However, there is very little specific info on the 10x model. And whatever I have seen so far, it seems the 10x version shines much less. Yet, I am specifically interested in that model, among other things because I would like to replace my wife's 20 year old Victory I 10x40 in due time.

One question to me is whether the few reports (mostly just mentioned on the side) are about pilot models, or whether they are about the regular serial types. And in order to find any info/remarks specific to the 10x40 version without having to dig through the many posts on the SFL in general, I am herewith opening a thread specific to just the 10x40 SFL.

One of those brief mentions are from HenRun here: New Zeiss binos 8x40 SFL and 10x40 SFL in post #849.
I am seeking an SFL 10x40 review unit and hope to have news in a few weeks' time.

Lee

There is a comparison of the 10x SFL to the 10x32 SF on a US hunting forum here:

There is a comparison of the 10x SFL to the 10x32 SF on a US hunting forum here:
Thanks. BTW and because they mention it in the review, I've tried the Zeiss tripod mount with my SFL and did not liked it. The stud is too long. So I switched to a Swaro TAs-SLC.

I agree with HenRun that SFLs have a fair amount of CA if that bothers you, much like Leicas. Also more contrast than I prefer. What struck me in a brief trial was that with the reduced DOF of 10x, it didn't snap into focus and isolate a target as well as expected, because what's out of focus remains quite busy looking rather than getting soft. That's a subtle thing and perhaps one would get used to it, but it seems odd at first. So you really want to hear from someone who's had more time with the 10x40 and can go into some detail. Vague statements like "just not as impressive" aren't very helpful.

I agree with HenRun that SFLs have a fair amount of CA if that bothers you, much like Leicas. Also more contrast than I prefer. What struck me in a brief trial was that with the reduced DOF of 10x, it didn't snap into focus and isolate a target as well as expected, because what's out of focus remains quite busy looking rather than getting soft. That's a subtle thing and perhaps one would get used to it, but it seems odd at first. So you really want to hear from someone who's had more time with the 10x40 and can go into some detail. Vague statements like "just not as impressive" aren't very helpful.
I am hopeful of getting an SFL 10x40 review unit to take to Islay for three weeks in October and give it a thorough work-out.

Lee

Had confirmation from Zeiss I will be able to take a review SFL 10x40 to Islay for 3 weeks in Oct/Nov to give it a thorough work-out and so expect to be able to post a review in mid-Nov.

Lee
Tell them you need to have the 8x30 as well for comparison.

Looking forward to that review.

Does all this mean that an SFL 8x30 is in the pipeline, or can Zeiss still be persuaded to put another x40 into the lineup ... a very fabulous, no-brainer, immediate order 7x40 maybe?

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back