• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss SFL 8x40, A Field Review (4 Viewers)

Very interesting how many comments about stiff focusers, this surprises me considering this bino is a SF light (smart focus). One of the main attractions on the SF line is there focuser, if it’s not the same as the SF that’s a little disappointing. I wonder if this is an early production issue, just like early production issues when the SF came out.

As some members here have indicated how close the optical quality is to the SF, I wouldnt be surprised if there is an upgrade to the current SF coming soon. It has been about seven years since SF introduction.

Paul

These new binoculars from Zeiss somehow squeeze just about all the excellence of the well-established 8x42 SF binoculars into a slightly smaller objective lens diameter pair, which is considerably smaller, lighter and some £800 less expensive. To me, it seems like a minor miracle!

Hmm … so was I right suspecting that Zeiss is going to have difficulties selling the SF? They shot themselves in their foot open-eyed??? Hmm …

One of the Great Mysteries of the 21st Century. Paul's guess above might be the answer. Maybe the new SF is the Next Revolution in optics. Unimaginable technology. In the meantime millions watch birds with sub-alpha crocks and miss nothing.

"It is if you live in the middle of the badlands in Arizona.
Just myyyyyy opinion of course".

Surely its too hot in Arizona to be sanctimonious?:)

Lee

Hmm … so was I right suspecting that Zeiss is going to have difficulties selling the SF? They shot themselves in their foot open-eyed??? Hmm …
Im with Canip on this one. Cannibalization of other Zeiss models is inevitable, as well as knocking off some share of market for the competition. I suspect the point that Zeiss knows what its doing is also correct. Even if The SFL takes some sales from the SF, I'd bet the whole outcome for Zeiss is a plus. Surely theyre betting on this.

I think SFL 8x40 and NL 10x42 would be a great match. I regret not buying NL 10x42 and buying 8x42 instead. It seems SFL 10x40 is not good as NL 10x42 in terms of CA control and other optical parameters to combine with NL 8x42.
Do we know this? Haven't been many 10X reviews yet....

Very interesting how many comments about stiff focusers, this surprises me considering this bino is a SF light (smart focus). One of the main attractions on the SF line is there focuser, if it’s not the same as the SF that’s a little disappointing. I wonder if this is an early production issue, just like early production issues when the SF came out.

As some members here have indicated how close the optical quality is to the SF, I wouldnt be surprised if there is an upgrade to the current SF coming soon. It has been about seven years since SF introduction.

Paul

Closer to 8 years? 10 year product cycle is common, but the SF may already have paid for its R&D.

Or why not a premium SFL+ that includes both HT and UFL glass and have a wider FOV? Completely replacing the SF eventually...

Do we know this? Haven't been many 10X reviews yet....
I can only say that the 10x40 SFL I looked through was much less impressive than the 8, and the sales guy in the optics store, who knows his stuff, was in agreement. Of course, I may have been looking through a dud, and I too would like to read a proper review of the 10.

Im with Canip on this one. Cannibalization of other Zeiss models is inevitable, as well as knocking off some share of market for the competition. I suspect the point that Zeiss knows what its doing is also correct. Even if The SFL takes some sales from the SF, I'd bet the whole outcome for Zeiss is a plus. Surely theyre betting on this.
Sorry, Tom, my remark was meant sarcastically, responding to a statement that the SFL is as good or better as the SF for a much lower price (in my view, that‘s just not the case).
I do agree that Zeiss probably knows very well what they are doing. I bet margins are higher on the SFL (reduced features and sophistication, production outsourced to third party in Japan, etc, and people generally seem to like the outcome). So why bother to struggle with German made SF optics if you can „get away“ with an SFL.? 😀

I can only say that the 10x40 SFL I looked through was much less impressive than the 8, and the sales guy in the optics store, who knows his stuff, was in agreement. Of course, I may have been looking through a dud, and I too would like to read a proper review of the 10.
That’s the case. The posts so far I read about x10 SFL were not so positive as ones about x8 SFL. It seems everyone buying x8 SFLs. However the situation was other way when Swarovski introduced NL. Most of the posts (at least equal amount) were about x10 NL compared to the x8. And it is well known making a good x10 binoculars is more difficult than making a good x8 binoculars. However, still I believe having a x8 SFL and 10x42 NL would be a very good combination. If I see good comments about x10 SFL, I will happily put my hands on one 😀😀 Then it could replace my Habicht 10x40 😊

That’s the case. The posts so far I read about x10 SFL were not so positive as ones about x8 SFL. It seems everyone buying x8 SFLs. However the situation was other way when Swarovski introduced NL. Most of the posts (at least equal amount) were about x10 NL compared to the x8. And it is well known making a good x10 binoculars is more difficult than making a good x8 binoculars. However, still I believe having a x8 SFL and 10x42 NL would be a very good combination. If I see good comments about x10 SFL, I will happily put my hands on one 😀😀 Then it could replace my Habicht 10x40 😊
In what way you are not happy with the Habicht 10x40? Does it need replacement?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back