• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss TL = Zeiss ED pocket? (1 Viewer)

I have the same question. The TL and ED look similar, but the TL is less expensive (at least tru Costco). Are they equivalent, or is the ED better in some regard?

This looks like a Terra ED binocular. This is the first I have heard of it, maybe someone can lend more information.
So Zeiss is now selling through Amazon and Costco, not good, disappointing, they need to stay with a normal dealer
sales program.
I am thinking it is just a reskinned Terra binocular line, just to refresh the name. The Terra has been out for a while now,
now all made in China.
Jerry

Towards the bottom of the Amazon UK page for the 10x25 TL there’s a box ‘Customer questions and answers’ with:

Question:
What is different between terra ed and tl night ?

Answer:
The ZEISS TL Pocket is particularly suitable for ‘travel’. We have tried to keep it as compact as possible in every respect.
Compared to the TERRA ED Pocket models, the TL Pocket is only available in the color "night blue-black".
The new minimized packaging and the new bag concept underline the ZEISS TL Pocket's compact design.

See at: Amazon.co.uk

So it seems that the binoculars are the same, except for the colour. And the page also shows what’s provided with the TL binocular,
including a drawstring bag ('the new bag concept')

In contrast, see the case included with the ED

John

Attachments

• Zeiss TL.jpg
    Zeiss TL.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Included with TL.jpg
    Included with TL.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Terra ED with Case.jpg
    Terra ED with Case.jpg
    334.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
So Zeiss is now selling through Amazon and Costco, not good, disappointing, they need to stay with a normal dealer
sales program.

Jerry
Jerry, Zeiss has sold through 'Big Box Stores' in the USA for years so selling via Amazon or Costco isn't that different. In fact, do you remember the transparent plastic boxes that Terras used to come in? These were specifically designed with the Big Box Stores in mind so the binos could be seen rather than just the outside of a cardboard carton. Terra is at the beginners' or non-enthusiasts' price end of the Zeiss range and no doubt some of these folks feel more comfortable buying from Amazon or the walk-in-grab-a-box-walk-out kind of place like the Big Box Stores instead of dealers where perhaps they feel intimidated by their own lack of knowledge.

Lee

This looks like a Terra ED binocular. This is the first I have heard of it, maybe someone can lend more information.
sales program.
I am thinking it is just a reskinned Terra binocular line, just to refresh the name. The Terra has been out for a while now,
now all made in China.
Jerry
Hi Jerry,

The Terra TL is the Terra ED without bag etc.
AFAIK, the Terra pocket line is produced in Japan.
Like Leica tried to integrate vertically with a certain model (exclusive models sold directly to consumer), Zeiss seems to follow that road (cut the dealer out for exclusive models, so higher margins for Zeiss). If Zeiss would be interested in the concern of the customer, they would offer the bin minus 34% and minus the bag costs and still have full margin. If the TL model is Made in China, which I don't know, their margin is bigger.
Let's see where/what this brings them.
We live in modern times with "modern" business models.

Jan

Last edited:
Jan, your information is a bit outdated, the Terra pocket models are now made in China.
OK, that's new for me. AFAIK the Terra line is made in China but the complete Zeiss pocketline is currently from Japan.

Edit: Just checked the inventory and indeed, you're right. China.
Thx for the correction.

Jan

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back