• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Victory 10x32 T*FL (prompted by Arthur's thread) (1 Viewer)

SeldomPerched

Sorry to post again... inspired by last weekend's very restorative nature walk and birding and after finding how light and easy and very good the 8x32 FL was — I hardly noticed it was there while walking along, I'd like to find out a bit more about the 10x version, again FL (not SF).

Arthur Pinewood has given a good introduction to it in his 2019 thread that is still going strong. This is a new thread so as to ask some particular questions, mostly just about handling and a steady hold. I'm aware that generally 10x32 is not the most popular format, what with a relatively small exit pupil and also the fact that it is a 10x and possibly a less steady hold.

I'm not worried by the smaller exit pupil; this is for easy walking use and not what I'd choose for dusk or early night viewing. Generally it's the shake aspect I'd like some warning about. I can hold a 10x50 still enough to make out details well, but it's not steady enough that I am really happy with that or particularly enjoying the view. 10x42 is better; I have the smallish late model Swaro SLC and it is sturdy enough to give a well balanced, steady hold though it's still not in the league steadiness-wise of an 8x or even better a 7x for me. So my fear before I find a 10x32 FL to try is whether for someone with reasonably small hands (I don't find the 8x32 FL fiddly to hold and operate) the 10x32 FL will be too light — a bit skittish compared with the 8x42. Apart from that I know the dimensions work for me, and if it's true that in some ways this is even better than the 8x32 then any shake problems and the price are the only worries. I've wanted a nice small 10x for ages and this might be the one.

Please share any other experiences you have had with this glass too; I have really come to like this design, the polycarbonate body, and it sounds like the 10's performance wouldn't disappoint at all. How far do the extra ounces of weight make themselves felt when out for the day?

Thank you,

Tom

Hello Tom,

I have had three 10x glasses: 10x40 Dialyt, Leica 10x50 Bn and the Zeiss 10x32FL. I found the FL easiest to hold steady, although I acknowledge that this is a personal matter. It would seem that the smaller package worked well for me as the FL is the smallest of the three which I have tried. The smaller true field of view, the shorter depth of field, requiring more care in focussing all come with any 10x.
Fifteen years ago, I rejected the Leica 10x32 on the basis of eye relief, which is important for me.

You really have to try one to know if it works for you.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Tom,

Coincidentally I have been using the 10x32 FL quite a bit over the last 10 days, at dusk, dawn and mid-day in various lighting conditions and not inconsiderable rain. It's the lightest 10x32 of the FL, UVHD+, EDG II and SV FP. It doesn't seem heavy to me. I can hold it as steady as any of the other 10's. I have never handled an FL 8x32 so cannot comment on how much shakier you may find the view of the 10 as opposed to your 8.

I'm a fan of 10x32 generally and can hold them steadier than 10x50 for example. I do appreciate the steadier view of 7 and 8x but definitely find the view of any of my 10x32 steady enough.

Since you like the handling of the 8x32 FL, it's probably worth your while to track down a nice 10x32 FL to see whether it will work for you.

Mike

Tom,

Coincidentally I have been using the 10x32 FL quite a bit over the last 10 days, at dusk, dawn and mid-day in various lighting conditions and not inconsiderable rain. It's the lightest 10x32 of the FL, UVHD+, EDG II and SV FP. It doesn't seem heavy to me. I can hold it as steady as any of the other 10's. I have never handled an FL 8x32 so cannot comment on how much shakier you may find the view of the 10 as opposed to your 8.

I'm a fan of 10x32 generally and can hold them steadier than 10x50 for example. I do appreciate the steadier view of 7 and 8x but definitely find the view of any of my 10x32 steady enough.

Since you like the handling of the 8x32 FL, it's probably worth your while to track down a nice 10x32 FL to see whether it will work for you.

Mike
That's very encouraging, Mike. You must find it pretty steady or my guess is you would end up not using it so much recently! I may have sourced one and for the first time have decided to sell some other items along the way and got a buyer, so I'll let you know if it all works out.

Tom
Hello Tom,

I have had three 10x glasses: 10x40 Dialyt, Leica 10x50 Bn and the Zeiss 10x32FL. I found the FL easiest to hold steady, although I acknowledge that this is a personal matter. It would seem that the smaller package worked well for me as the FL is the smallest of the three which I have tried. The smaller true field of view, the shorter depth of field, requiring more care in focussing all come with any 10x.
Fifteen years ago, I rejected the Leica 10x32 on the basis of eye relief, which is important for me.

You really have to try one to know if it works for you.

Stay safe,
Arthur
Based on your and Mike's responses and the general good feedback on this 10x32 model I'm encouraged to find one, Arthur — I should know today if my lead works out. Thank you for replying so fast. It should be possible to go and try it out or otherwise send back if dissatisfied. Hoping to report back to you.

Tom

Tom, I had the 10x32FL for many years and it is excellent in pretty much all aspects. Just make sure you get one with a proper feeling focus wheel. Most FL's I have come across have been very stiff. Mine was sent in for adjustment and came back, less stiff, but still stiff. Optically it is excellent and handling is great with glasses. I can sometimes feel it was a mistake to let it go.

HenRun, thank you for your input. The 10x32 should arrive within the next seven days and I'll post my findings. The seller has messaged me to say he used it on holiday recently and the collimation is 'spot on' and the focus smooth. I suppose it could still be stiff so we'll see. Hope it's good as I just sold my 10x50 EL SV - very great glass but I find myself reaching for something lighter and more portable.

Tom

Tom - keeping it short as you may already know this, the focuser on my 10x32 FL is a bit stiff and gritty but not overly or unevenly so. IME it's the focusing function that is unique. After a little practice I was able to snap targets into perfect focus and I am not a skillful user.

It seems the FL is slightly but noticeably the brightest of my 10x32s, including the SV FP, so essentially trading the 10x50 SV for the FL may not be as significant a trade off in low light performance as might be expected.

Looking forward to your report.

Mike

HenRun, thank you for your input. The 10x32 should arrive within the next seven days and I'll post my findings. The seller has messaged me to say he used it on holiday recently and the collimation is 'spot on' and the focus smooth. I suppose it could still be stiff so we'll see. Hope it's good as I just sold my 10x50 EL SV - very great glass but I find myself reaching for something lighter and more portable.

Tom
Tom,
I have tried several high-end 10x32's, including the EDG and Swaro SV and FP, and the FL 10x32 was by far my favorite and the only one that I kept. I am sure you're going to be happy with the FL 10x32.
Peter

Tom - keeping it short as you may already know this, the focuser on my 10x32 FL is a bit stiff and gritty but not overly or unevenly so. IME it's the focusing function that is unique. After a little practice I was able to snap targets into perfect focus and I am not a skillful user.

It seems the FL is slightly but noticeably the brightest of my 10x32s, including the SV FP, so essentially trading the 10x50 SV for the FL may not be as significant a trade off in low light performance as might be expected.

Looking forward to your report.

Mike
Mike, that's very encouraging to know. In its intended use, as opposed to idle and arid testing from a window and generally messing around, I found the 8x32 FL such a happy little chappie to use on nature walks. I didn't feel it was missing anything at all and it is very well behaved i.e. doesn't make its presence felt as you walk along wearing it round your neck. That was what made me think a really good 10x32 would give me far more opportunities for viewing pleasure than the big 10x50 even though the 10x50 Field Pro was superb. Once sold I actually felt lighter at heart for being less 'weighed down' - literally.

The 10 hasn't arrived yet but I will take it out and definitely post to let you know how things go. I am very excited about this purchase and especially as you mention it is noticeably brighter even than the SV FP, which I have in 8x32 and is a very comfortable item to use also.

Tom

Tom,
I have tried several high-end 10x32's, including the EDG and Swaro SV and FP, and the FL 10x32 was by far my favorite and the only one that I kept. I am sure you're going to be happy with the FL 10x32.
Peter
Peter, thank you for this. Your comment and similarly Mike Hogue's are leaving me very excited to receive the 10x32 FL any day now. I use SV Field Pro in 8x32 as well as the FL and find both very comfortable to use but the Zeiss is still the smaller and the more I use it the more impressed I am. So now the sale of the 10x50 SV Field Pro isn't leaving me with any regrets as I feel the FL will get much more use and be a more practical and therefore more pleasurable choice for binoculars' intended uses. When it's arrived and had some use I will certainly post, especially as 10x32 probably doesn't get much love on here.

Tom

The pre-owned 10x32 FL has now arrived. Got to use it in the last hours of very strong daylight with a low unclouded sun last night. So far I can say that initial reactions are extremely favourable: this is a good sample and everybody's encouragement in previous posts has not led to disappointment.

Things to comment on after first use for a couple of hours: ease of dioptre setting (right first time from focusing on tall backlit grasses and no feeling that it needs any further tweaking at any distance); ease of focusing (snaps straight into focus and no seesawing needed); very good close up if I push the barrels a touch closer together; and most importantly easy to get a steady hold without any support. This was the reason I sold the 10x50 EL Field Pro -- a wonderful glass but not too easy despite its compactness for its format to hold still without support.

I had with me the SLC 10x42, the only other 10 I have managed to hold still enough to be happy with it as a regular choice for walks etc, and until the final minutes of daylight it seemed that the 10x32 FL remained impressively bright by comparison and held its own against the larger format, though prone to a bit more veiling glare. But that is partly that the glass could be cleaned up a tiny bit more.

After more use I could possibly find more to say, but this has been an exciting buy, with no negatives to report*. Handling, fit to face, comfort of viewing are very impressive. I'd just better not go and ask to try a new NL or SF in 32; what you haven't tried you don't miss!

*Maybe one negative but it doesn't hit me when using the binos for their intended purpose, as opposed to toying around: the focuser is scratchy/rasping to hear, while remaining fully consistent and smooth in its operation. I.e. it's just a slightly off-putting sound).

Have a good day.

Tom

The pre-owned 10x32 FL has now arrived. Got to use it in the last hours of very strong daylight with a low unclouded sun last night. So far I can say that initial reactions are extremely favourable: this is a good sample and everybody's encouragement in previous posts has not led to disappointment.

Things to comment on after first use for a couple of hours: ease of dioptre setting (right first time from focusing on tall backlit grasses and no feeling that it needs any further tweaking at any distance); ease of focusing (snaps straight into focus and no seesawing needed); very good close up if I push the barrels a touch closer together; and most importantly easy to get a steady hold without any support. This was the reason I sold the 10x50 EL Field Pro -- a wonderful glass but not too easy despite its compactness for its format to hold still without support.

I had with me the SLC 10x42, the only other 10 I have managed to hold still enough to be happy with it as a regular choice for walks etc, and until the final minutes of daylight it seemed that the 10x32 FL remained impressively bright by comparison and held its own against the larger format, though prone to a bit more veiling glare. But that is partly that the glass could be cleaned up a tiny bit more.

After more use I could possibly find more to say, but this has been an exciting buy, with no negatives to report*. Handling, fit to face, comfort of viewing are very impressive. I'd just better not go and ask to try a new NL or SF in 32; what you haven't tried you don't miss!

*Maybe one negative but it doesn't hit me when using the binos for their intended purpose, as opposed to toying around: the focuser is scratchy/rasping to hear, while remaining fully consistent and smooth in its operation. I.e. it's just a slightly off-putting sound).

Have a good day.

Tom
Hello Tom,

Use your FL well!

Stay safe,
Arthur
Thank you, Arthur. I am very happy with this purchase and have let a few others go that I know wouldn't get used nearly as much. Heavier shakier ones.

All best wishes,

Tom

The 8x32FL has that slight rasp as well but stays smooth. Good to hear you got a good sample. If it is Lotutec it does in my experience need extra cleaning once greasy.

Three weeks on and the 10x32 FL is a keeper. I don't even notice the focuser sound now — only occurred to me here as I saw the older posts just above!

Tom

Thank you, Arthur. I am very happy with this purchase and have let a few others go that I know wouldn't get used nearly as much. Heavier shakier ones.

All best wishes,

Tom
Hello Tom,

There is a disagreement about whether a bigger and heavier binocular is more stable. Many think that the greater mass of the larger ones, make them steadier. Lee thinks that a larger glass is less affected by strong winds. My own experience has favoured the smaller and lighter binocular, at least for general bird watching. See my post #2.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Hello Tom,

There is a disagreement about whether a bigger and heavier binocular is more stable. Many think that the greater mass of the larger ones, make them steadier. Lee thinks that a larger glass is less affected by strong winds. My own experience has favoured the smaller and lighter binocular, at least for general bird watching. See my post #2.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Arthur and Tom,

For me it is more about the combination of (or balance between) size, shape and weight. 10x32 is one of my favorites. The Zeiss FL and UV HD + are the smallest and lightest of my four. The UV is the smallest of course but heavier than the Zeiss. Something about the wonderfully small size but greater "density" of the UV makes it slightly harder for me to hold steady than any of the other 10x32s. That said, in larger formats heavier bins generally seem a bit easier to hold steady. All very subjective of course.

Glad Tom is enjoying his new 10x32 FLs.

Mike

Hello Tom,

Stay safe,
Arthur
Hello Arthur,

Yes, I know what you mean. I find it very hard to come down on one side of the fence or other on this! When standing at a window for viewing I sometimes find the compact 32s a bit skittish — FL 8 and 10, but out and about for the day I don't have the same experience and am equally happy with 32 or 42. The EL SV 8x32 has a very good hold for me, being a bit larger sized. But I have to admit I haven't been viewing in the more extreme conditions found in remoter areas, so don't have much experience to go on.

All the best,
Tom

Hello Tom,

Stay safe,
Arthur
Hello Arthur, yes you remember correctly, I have found that heavier binos are less affected by gusting winds but the downsides are arm fatigue setting in sooner (with accompanying bino shake) and of course the extra weight to carry. For medical reasons I need to reduce the weight I carry and I have now followed your example and am using 32mm binos exclusively.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back