• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Victory 8x25 VS Swaro CL 8x30 last edition. (1 Viewer)

And here is a review from Amazon.com : ; I'm glad I saw a reference to how good this binocular is as I was trying a similar Swarovski model that costs nearly three times as much. The Zeiss model is more comfortable to hold, especially when it's cool out, because it is uniformly armored instead of having exposed metal. Most important is that the Zeiss is sharper. I was able to read tiny numbers on my license plate date decal better with the Zeiss than with the Swarovski CL ; So we are already three people who have compared three cherry terra versus three lemon CL? I bought the Terra at a dumping price of 100 euros, and when I was offered 200, I gave in to the temptation to double my money, which I regret today because it may have been in possession of a special copy. In fact whenever I am asked which was the sharpest binoculars I have ever seen, my answer is Zeiss TERRA 8X25 and Nikon SE 8X32.

However, I will try to give another chance at Victory 8x25 because I'm a little claustrophobic and a binocular with a wider field always satisfies me more .

Rico understands perfectly what you mean but here's what Erik Bakker says in a review on Cloudy Nights forum in a CL 8X25 comparison with Terra 8x25: Sharpness is definitely better in the Zeiss, as are micro- and macro contrast. This is easily seen on the feathers of birds in my garden at 10 yards. And even more prominent on the moon. More contrast nuances, starker contrast on mountain ridges and craters and plainly more detail in a more lively lunar- or bird image.

In comparison, the Swarovski’s are slightly less sharp, less contrasty. And : The Zeiss are the sharper, more contrasty binoculars. Subtle bird detail during the day or on the moon at night are revealed with a level sharpness and contrast that is both stunning and intoxicating. Contrast is stark, with the images in the Swarovski showing a slight veil in comparison.

Erik over on Cloudy Nights is very experienced and really likes Swarovski optics. So, it is important he finds the Zeiss Terra 8x25 to be a very nice binocular.

That is not surprising, as I find the Terra as all I would need in this size.

Eye relief or lack of is the issue for many of us that do not wear glasses, the Terra does it well, I found the Swaro. 8x25 nothing special in several ways.

Jerry

Hehe, if a couple more people here find good Tierra copies, there will be a run on people trying the display model in shops. 8x25 is really a sweet spot.

Edmund

I really like my Terra too, despite the floppy hinges - the image has pop and contrast and is very sharp. I do find it a bit bluish in the winter but, otherwise, a real bargain. It seems clear, however, that unit to unit variability is unacceptable, based on the wildly divergent opinions of the actual optics.

I really like my Terra too, despite the floppy hinges - the image has pop and contrast and is very sharp. I do find it a bit bluish in the winter but, otherwise, a real bargain. It seems clear, however, that unit to unit variability is unacceptable, based on the wildly divergent opinions of the actual optics.

If the manufacturing were really bad, then one side would be mediocre even in good samples.

It would seem possible to me based on the description here that we are seeing batches from different manufacturing sources, and that the design is a good one which is in practice "detuned" by random manufacturing.

The interesting info then is that one can make the components of a decent small binocular for near to nothing.

Does anyone know which subcontractor is making Tierras? Kamakura?

Edmund

I think maybe readers with an itch for a pocket instrument can shop around for a decent Tierra display sample, and after finding it they will have ticked the box for EDC and can "invest" the price of the Victory in something more fun, even possibly one of those gourmet dinners which have a high WAF.++

It is possible that the 8x20 or 8x25 configuration is simply not enough fun for many here to warrant more than a convenience buy. Also there is something to be said for owning a glass that can be lent or left in a hotel room without hesitation.

I have my loved-hated cherry Victory and have very convincingly ticked the box for travel binos -at a price. My Victory sample was better/as good as the display models of SF in the shop. I don't plan to make the often regretted mistake of selling a good sample of a useful (albeit unpleasant) glass, especially since the Victory has this nasty habit of getting up on its hind legs and climbing into my overcoat pocket whenever I'm not looking.

As I now own a decent travel bin, a pocket palette I like, and some very nice Escoda pocket sable brushes all of which fit well into my overcoat pockets, I have all I need to do some painting daytrips - all my equipment boxes are ticked.

o:D

Edmund

PS. WAF ==> wife acceptance factor.

Last edited:
Add me to the list of very satisfied Terra ED 8X25 owners. I've used mine some around the house and now always on vacation. It's optics are surprisingly good. It's compact size insures you can always have a binocular with you. I'm satisfied with it...and satisfied enough to not try something else in this format. That's saying something in itself!

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_10fd.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_10fd.jpeg
    79.6 KB · Views: 185
Chuck,

I guess you got a good sample, tried three of these, all duds with different issues, perhaps they have rectified QA/QC.

Andy W.

Chuck,
d
I guess you got a good sample, tried three of these, all duds with different issues, perhaps they have rectified QA/QC.

Andy W.

This thread has been puzzling concerning the Tierra. Maybe Lee could ask his contacts at Zeiss to comment.

Edmund

Chuck,
d

Andy W.

This thread has been puzzling concerning the Tierra. Maybe Lee could ask his contacts at Zeiss to comment. I have no pigeon in this race.

Edmund

...perhaps they have rectified QA/QC...

Certainly over life of the model they have made some changes. I stopped paying really close attention sometime after the 2nd version came out, which was supposed to (according to the Zeiss rep I spoke with) resolve some QC issues, especially the floppy hinges of the original version. Those versions are easy to tell apart as they have different style armor. Is anyone aware of a version 3 having been released? My biggest issue with the Terra is the off-axis astigmatism. I've tried quite a few Terra 8x25 and have seen good ones and bad ones, but I've seen none that had low astigmatism off-axis. Unfortunately, I find off-axis astigmatism extremely irritating and I cannot ignore it. I think it is inherent to the design, as it is some other otherwise good bins (Zeiss 8x32 FL, B&L 8x42 Elite waterproof version).

--AP

Maybe I’m a little late to the discussion, but I just wanted to share my recent personal experience.
I own since approximately 20years a pair of Kite 10x42, bought a Zeiss Victory 8x25 a few months ago to have something light and compact to carry everywhere (mountain hiking, cycling tour, not-birding-oriented walks...) and received a Kite Lynx HD 8x30 just a few weeks ago, finding one second hand at 1/2 price. I’ve tested some other binoculars in shops or from other birders often briefly during nature walks (mainly some 32-42mm from Kite, Swarovski and Leica), but I have never owned any other one.

I was tremendously impressed by the Zeiss: tremendously sharp, good field of view, easy to use, and all of this in such lightweight and compact package. You even forget you’re carrying it around your neck... The clarity also impressed me, even around sunset (though in an open area). The lack of eyecaps, objective covers etc. is a real pitty, but I’ve found what I needed in the end after a lot of googling... (see the separate forum topic on it). I took it on some walks where I didn’t want something bigger (e.g.family walks) and I was really happy with it, not missing having any bigger binocular.

I had the occasion of testing the Leica Ultravid 8x20 in an optic store and briefly compare it with my Zeiss. While very sharp and very well built, I (personally) wouldn’t spend that much on it because of the narrow field of view and small exit pupil: yes, I could use it to «*observe*» birds/«*enlarge*» what I’m looking at, but I wouldn’t enjoy it at all, being less comfortable to use and having too much the impression of looking through a tunnel.

Than, recently, came along the Kite Lynx HD 8x30. Well, I have to say I’m pretty impressed. It isn’t as small and light as the Zeiss, but still compact and lightweight, significantly more so than most 32mm bins. I haven’t compared it that thoroughly yet with my Zeiss, but a bit in full daylight and also in darker circumstances outside (evening in the woods). It seems to lack a tiny bit of contrast compared to the Zeiss, is less sharp at the edges (though with a large FOV and very sharp overall), but it was brighter, which is logical considering 30mm vs 25mm. My brother, father (wearing eyeglasses) and partner (all with no binocular experience!) also briefly compared them and found the Lynx easier to use and liked the image quality. I personally still find the Zeiss easy to use, but apparently they preferred the ease of use of the Lynx, even though my brother agreed that the Zeiss was optically amazing and better than the Lynx. My only significant complaint with the Lynx seems to be some occasional reflections from, I think, lateral light, which sometimes annoyed me and that I never have with the Zeiss. Maybe I should try some winged eyecups on the Lynx, I don’t know.

As a result, on our walks last week with my partner I carried my 65mm spotting scope and the Lynx 8x30 as a very nice combination (weight, comfort of use and image). I found it important for her to also enjoy viewing the birds we’d encounter and I didn’t regret taking the Lynx at all (except for those occasional reflections) and I appreciated the added brightness in the evening, as it gets dark early these days.

Still, if you want something even lighter and more compact than the Lynx, and especially if the exit pupil of a 8x25 is OK for you (both for ease of use and not requiring very low light performance) I would strongly recommend the Zeiss 8x25 while I (personally) wouldn’t consider the Leica 8x20. Maybe a Swarovski 8x25 might also be a good option, with the advantage of better supplied accessories and more compact folded/supplied carrying case. But I have never tried that Swarovski myself, so couldn’t commend further on it. Still, these are expensive and if I hadn’t found a really great second hand deal for the Victory, I would probably have looked at the Terra, which gets great reviews and costs a lot less.

Last edited:
Those versions are easy to tell apart as they have different style armor. Is anyone aware of a version 3 having been released? My biggest issue with the Terra is the off-axis astigmatism. I've tried quite a few Terra 8x25 and have seen good ones and bad ones, but I've seen none that had low astigmatism off-axis.
Hardly a different versions will come out to fix astigmatism.
Maybe in the next (optical) drawing, but I don't think there will be.

If you
find off-axis astigmatism extremely irritating and I cannot ignore it
you have a single discouraging chance ...

Last edited:
My only significant complaint with the Lynx seems to be some occasional reflections from, I think, lateral light, which sometimes annoyed me and that I never have with the Zeiss. Maybe I should try some winged eyecups on the Lynx, I don’t know.
Unfortunately, that's the way it is. The lateral light enters the binoculars. You can solve with lens hood. I had the Lynx 10x30, it was similar to the Nikon Monarch 7 10x30, but much better in all and with less lateral glare.
An excellent binoculars which in my opinion is slightly lower than the Opticron Traveler ED 10x32, which manages the side lights better, but which is mechanically worse.

I would strongly recommend the Zeiss 8x25 while I (personally) wouldn’t consider the Leica 8x20.
Did you compare them carefully, in a open field, during twilight?

Hardly a different versions will come out to fix astigmatism.
Maybe in the next (optical) drawing, but I don't think there will be.

If you "find off-axis astigmatism extremely irritating and I cannot ignore it" you have a single discouraging chance ...

I don't understand what you are implying. Regardless, the good news is that I didn't need to wait for a low astigmatism version of the Zeiss 8x25 Terra because the Zeiss 8x25 Victory, which is much better in numerous ways, is very low in astigmatism off-axis. I bought a Terra on sale ($200) as a gift for a 10-year-old--it's great for its reasonable optical quality, smooth easy to reach focus, very close focus, and low IPD. But for myself, I use the worlds better Zeiss 8x25 Victory, with its slimmer design, better ergonomics, and much better optics.

--AP

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back