• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25 - Globe or no Globe? (1 Viewer)

Lucania

Hello,
I think I've read most posts on this forum regarding the Zeiss 8x25, searched the web far and wide, yet I haven't found the answer to one question: does this much applauded bino show a globe effect?

How much globe effect can I bear? Well, in normal life I use the Nikon EDG 8x42, and although I do notice a slight globe effect here, I got used to it quickly. On the other hand, I tried the Nikon Monarch 7 (8x42) and the Monarch HG 8x42 for about two weeks each, and I just never got used to the GE in these binos.

I'd like to use the little Zeiss for journeys, where I often found the EDG too heavy. Unfortunately I haven't found the Zeiss 8x25 with local dealers, and I'm not a fan of ordering and sending back things uselessly.

Any answer would be greatly appreciated!

Best regards
Luca

I'm not a fan of ordering and sending back things uselessly.
Luca... I can't speak to the "globe effect" of the Pocket 8x25s.

But, I will say that if you do not have adequate local retail options, ordering (and sending back, if the product is unsatisfactory) is not what I would term "useless". Some excellent retailers are fully supportive of returns for reasons of any dissatisfaction.

Good luck in your quest!

Last edited:
does this much applauded bino show a globe effect?
I not the most sensitive person to this effect but I did not noticed it with the Zeiss 8x25. I just compared them to SF 8x32 and the globe effect is much bigger in it.
So I would say that it should not be a problem but you should wait for other opinions.

I can't speak to the "globe effect" of the Pocket 8x25s
I will make one suggestion for you to consider: Leica UVHD+ 8x32.
Funny because 2 days ago, you talked about how better the Leica 8x32 on a Swaro CL 7x21 Curio thread. Do you plan on posting about your favourite binoculars in every thread about the ones you do not have?

P.S: I had the Leica and they are fine binoculars indeed. But for daylight use when I want something compact, I prefer the Zeiss 8x25: lighter, smaller when closed, less CA and for me at least, easier to use with glasses.

I had the Leica and they are fine binoculars indeed. But for daylight use when I want something compact, I prefer the Zeiss 8x25: lighter, smaller when closed, less CA and for me at least, easier to use with glasses.
Please, forgive my enthusiasm.

No doubt the Pocket 8x25s win the day when one wants something even smaller and lighter than a x32!

Cheers, pm42! :)

Hello,
I think I've read most posts on this forum regarding the Zeiss 8x25, searched the web far and wide, yet I haven't found the answer to one question: does this much applauded bino show a globe effect?

How much globe effect can I bear? Well, in normal life I use the Nikon EDG 8x42, and although I do notice a slight globe effect here, I got used to it quickly. On the other hand, I tried the Nikon Monarch 7 (8x42) and the Monarch HG 8x42 for about two weeks each, and I just never got used to the GE in these binos.

I'd like to use the little Zeiss for journeys, where I often found the EDG too heavy. Unfortunately I haven't found the Zeiss 8x25 with local dealers, and I'm not a fan of ordering and sending back things uselessly.

Any answer would be greatly appreciated!

Best regards
Luca

Luca,

I do see globe effect in some bins, e.g. SW SV, but am not bothered by it in normal use. Comparing the EDG II 7x42 to the Zeiss VP there is no GE in either that I can detect in testing or use today in response to your question.

Let us know how it goes and whether you have any other questions.

Mike

Zeiss 8x25 user here - and globe effect makes me sick to my stomach instantly if I find it in a binocular.

Happy to write that for all the times in all the environments, I have never once found any. It is a stellar set of bins.

A very big thanks to everyone for your comments! Now I feel it really makes sense ordering the device and checking it for myself. Of course I'll let you know my impressions once I've tried the bino.

As for the Leica UV HD+ 8x32, I'm really looking for something very lightweight and not too expensive, so this wouldn't suit my purpose. Say, I'm in Madrid again, basically visiting friends who live there, but then
I may suddenly come across a hoopoe in a park or meet some similar surprise, so I have to have a bino on me. But in such situations, having an 8x42 (or even an 8x32) dangling from my neck all the time is just a bit awkward.

Thanks again, you'll here from me!

Luca

PS: I took one of the photos directly with my cell phone, the other through the EDG (never mind the quality, its just for documentation). The hoopoe actually allowed me to approach it up to about 2 metres.

Attachments

• Hoopoe in Parque de Aluche, Madrid_1.jpg
    Hoopoe in Parque de Aluche, Madrid_1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 53
  • Hoopoe in Parque de Aluche, Madrid_2.jpg
    Hoopoe in Parque de Aluche, Madrid_2.jpg
    587.7 KB · Views: 51
As for the Leica UV HD+ 8x32, I'm really looking for something very lightweight and not too expensive, so this wouldn't suit my purpose. Say, I'm in Madrid again, basically visiting friends who live there, but then
I may suddenly come across a hoopoe in a park or meet some similar surprise, so I have to have a bino on me. But in such situations, having an 8x42 (or even an 8x32) dangling from my neck all the time is just a bit awkward.
Luca... I totally understand your thoughts on why the UVHD 32mm bin is too large and too costly, as an option for your current consideration. And... I apologize for suggesting it, earlier, as a possibility for you to consider.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience with the VP25. All indications are, from everything I have read, from so very many people, that the VP 8x25 is a stellar binocular - arguably the best 25mm binocular available at this time.

Cheers

Luca... I totally understand your thoughts on why the UVHD 32mm bin is too large and too costly, as an option for your current consideration. And... I apologize for suggesting it, earlier, as a possibility for you to consider.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience with the VP25. All indications are, from everything I have read, from so very many people, that the VP 8x25 is a stellar binocular - arguably the best 25mm binocular available at this time.

Cheers
Hi ZDHart,

there's certainly no need to apologize. Actually I did have the vague idea of buying a 8x32 as a travelling bin for quite some time, without ever making up my mind. I never really considered a compact, because after some superficial research I had the impression that they generally suffer from limited FOV and less-than-ideal eye relief for those who wear glasses. When I somehow stumbled upon the little Zeiss and all the positive reviews, I felt: This might be it, if only it doesn't make me sea sick!

Anyway, I have just ordered the bin, and now I'm looking forward to trying it out and reporting back here.

Regards
Luca

PS: I absolutely love your Bertrand-Russel-quotation! And I'm afraid things can't be changed, without swapping roles.

Last edited:
Zeiss 8x25 have become my defacto daytime wanderings binocular.

Small, unobtrusive, light beyond belief and stellar optics.

What's not to like about them?!? Get a solid 9.5 out of 10 from me.

I also really like my Victory 8x25, I find it the best pocket model I have ever tried. This thread starts about Globe, and I
suppose that means globe effect. Zeiss has mentioned over the years only around 2% of the population are bothered with this
issue. So that means it is a non-issue and for most all users. it will not be of any consequence with any binoculars.

Jerry

This thread starts about Globe, and I suppose that means globe effect. Zeiss has mentioned over the years only around 2% of the population are bothered with this issue. So that means it is a non-issue and for most all users. it will not be of any consequence with any binoculars.

Jerry

You know what a "One Percenter" is? So, be careful what you say, or the Two Percenters will be after you!

What's not to like about them?!?
... that sounds like real passion, and I can understand it!

Yesterday I got an enormous cardboard box (60 x 40 cm!) and was convinced that they had messed up my order and sent me a tripod instead of the Zeiss Pocket. But no, out came the bino I desired, accompanied by a "free" Zeiss cleaning kit. Well, I don't want to repeat all the praise that has been heaped upon this device before, let it suffice that I confirm it.

Apart from the great image it delievers (no CA, for all practical purposes, and astonishing low-light perfomance) I'm especially impressed by the solid build quality: perfect hinge tension, very pleasant focus with no play at all, and generally it just looks and feels very, very good.

Wearing glasses I enjoy the full FOV without any problem, and though positioning the bino is more difficult than with full size models, I'm confident it's just a question of getting used to it.

Though there have been some complaints about the case, I find it quite useful for my purposes: it's big enough to put in the bino with my IPD set (I let the biggest part of the strap hang out, so I can savely grab the whole thing there), and as it's rather stiff, it will offer sufficient protection when I have the bino in my travelling backpack. When I'm going out, I don't care about the case, because the bino will be dangling from my neck anyway - and it's so light, I just don't notice it.

On the other hand, the missing objective caps and, much worse, the rainguard, are a real bother. I've ordered the Opticron rainguard (22 Euros in continental Europe) and prefer not to think about the stupidity of not supplying such a basic accessory that costs literally nothing in production. It may not be a consolation for myself or anyone else, but the Nikon EDG I use sells for no less than 2200 Euros in these days, and though it does come with bag, rainguard and objective caps, I threw all that stuff away and instead use the leftover accessories from a cheap Celestron bino I used to have - though not quite perfect, they are of much better quality and fit better than the silly plastic things Nikon supplied. But obviously there are many things in the world you just can't understand, and we could consider ourselves lucky if none of them were more serious than a missing rainguard.

Last, I obviously have to answer my own initial question: Globe or no Globe? Here too I'm happy to confirm what has been said by a number of users: No globe effect, none at all! Even when deliberately looking for it, I couldn't find any. And if I can't see globe effect in a bino, I think nobody will be bothered by it.

Thanks again for your help and all the comments!

Luca

Last edited:
Low light is one area that just absolutely blew me away. I had them with me as the sun was down behind the mountains and the forest was gloomy. Still performed to a level that defied belief.

I love them. For a compact, light, sturdy travel binocular / For my hands / eyes / face - perfection. And I've tried dozens and hated them all enough to send back.

As for the lens covers and rain guards... That's a weird omission for sure.

You know what a "One Percenter" is? So, be careful what you say, or the Two Percenters will be after you!

I am a two percenter, but not in optics. I am not bothered by rolling ball or globe effect, it is an often
mentioned thing on only sites like this. Largely overblown and only affects a very small population.
Jerry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back