• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zen Ray ED2 7x36 evaluations and review (1 Viewer)

The Pinnacles 8x42 is a fine Bino I have had 3pr! Wish I still had one! For that price I would get it! The natural color would be something to get used to?!!! Great center field sharpness on the Pinnacles! I liked the ealier version best, they only came with one set of eyecups, winged! Still can't go wrong with one, good enough for every-day or as a fine back-up! Not the widest fov but, very usable 341 ft...Bryce.

Just what I need is another pair. I guess you cant have to many. I orderd a pair should have them next week ......gwen

Just an update for you potential buyers. I have been birding all weekend with my 7x36 and just have to say it, it is amazing!

The view is just so bright, sharp and distortion free. It is weird, because I can´t even provoke any glare/flare anymore. I just can´t see it. I don´t know why, but I don´t care. I am just so happy I bought it and saved a ton of cash, my would be alpha would have costed me. :)

And trust me, I am picky, I would not hestitate a second to send it back if I did not like it, I had already done some research on how to order a meostar before I recived my zen ;)

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the eye relief of the Zen Ray 7x36s is significantly better than in traditional Alpha 8x32s? I'm planning a switch from Leica 8x32 BN, because of CA, the close focus distance and somewhat inadequate eye relief in this bino (not really bad when using spectacles but a little annoying to have to push the the binos toward the glasses all the time).

I'm aware that in the specs, the eye relief of the Zen Ray 7x36 is a few mm better, but I'm looking for real life experiences. Anyone?

Wolf

Last edited:
I'd say the useable eye-relief in the Zen Ray 7x36 is (roughly) greater than the Leica 8x32 BN, about equal to the Swarovski 8x32 EL, and less than the Zeiss 8x32 FL.

--AP

You can have the issues that have ALREADY arisen with your 7x36's ZR and try to deal with their customer warranty department and I'll take the technical excellence and build quality of the Swarovski fully knowing that if I ever damage it through careless neglect they will rebuild them better than new for free or next to nothing as they have been for their 30+ year presence here in the US....

Just a brief note on the Zen-Ray warranty service - I dropped my 8x43's on the kitchen floor and apparently knocked them out of collimation (forgive me if that's not the correct term). I sent them back with an explanation, got an email immediately and about 3 weeks later got what appears to be a new pair. No complaints here.

You can have the issues that have ALREADY arisen with your 7x36's ZR and try to deal with their customer warranty department and I'll take the technical excellence and build quality of the Swarovski fully knowing that if I ever damage it through careless neglect they will rebuild them better than new for free or next to nothing as they have been for their 30+ year presence here in the US....

EDIT: Remove invalid initial comment.

Just a brief note on the Zen-Ray warranty service - I dropped my 8x43's on the kitchen floor and apparently knocked them out of collimation (forgive me if that's not the correct term). I sent them back with an explanation, got an email immediately and about 3 weeks later got what appears to be a new pair. No complaints here.
What I find really interesting is related to a lot of current discussion in another thread about the Nikon SE. Here is a binocular with kidney bean blackouts, severe enough to be a deal breaker for some people, other people describing how they got around the issue with learning how to hold the binocular to their eyes in a slightly different manner, or how some people were complaining that they were having problems with diopter settings. Never once was there the suggestion that these are anything but a supreme binocular, and gosh, if it would only work for me.

Come the ZEN ED 7x36. There have been a very few posts about some veiling glare and the thing is a POS. Give me a break! If I was a newbie to binoculars and read through the Nikon thread, I'd have serious doubts about getting close to one. Now, I do think they are a good thing and the kidney bean deal is a non issue for me.

The point is that any binocular is a set of compromises and any one design will not work for everybody. Look at all the ratchety focus knob complaints about Leica, edge softness in the Zeiss FL, or CA in the Swarovski. Just as the SE (and others) will not please everyone, neither will the ZEN.

This is why we have choices, which we are free to choose among for what suits us as individuals in the best fashion.

Last edited:
Come the ZEN ED 7x36. There have been a very few posts about some veiling glare and the thing is a POS. Give me a break! If I was a newbie to binoculars and read through the Nikon thread, I'd have serious doubts about getting close to one. Now, I do think they are a good thing and the kidney bean deal is a non issue for me.

The point is that any binocular is a set of compromises and any one design will not work for everybody. Look at all the ratchety focus knob complaints about Leica, edge softness in the Zeiss FL, or CA in the Swarovski. Just as the SE (and others) will not please everyone, neither will the ZEN.

This is why we have choices, which we are free to choose among for what suits us as individuals in the best fashion.

Who said the 7x36 ED is a POS? I don't ever remember reading that.

Steve,

KLS was referring back to CLRobles post on the previous page.

KLS,

Glad to hear of the excellent customer service.

Who said the 7x36 ED is a POS? I don't ever remember reading that.

Nothing specific. That reference was just in general comment about a few really negative posts, some from people who had not tried them. Your comments not included there. I thought your evaluation was pretty good. There were a few rerally negative bias comments that caused comment on my part.

Sometimes you just post stuff too fast for your own good. It looks like that happened to me. I'd delete my post above since the post got off on the wrong foot, but it's done. So be it. OOPS.

Steve if it helps I understand what you are saying. I would never say anything bad about something if I had never seen, used or looked through the item. One look through is not enough, try an item for a while.;) Do not be too fast to judge.
Regards,Steve

I am still debating whether or not to get the 7x36 ZEN..I have been using the New Custom Elite 7x26,and I am pleased with them..Quite pleased indeed..They do full size duty most of the time,except late dusk and astronomy ,where they do fall short of a bit extra aperture..Narrowish FOW doesnt bother me anymore,since 90% of the image is Sweet spot,and the Eye relief is Plenty to use with glasses.Image is amazingly bright for the size,As Sharp as the Eaglets 7x36(good sharpness ),good contrast,and NO Glare or inner reflections whatsoever(excellent coatings have eliminated a bit of veiling glare that I saw in previous models)..I already Know that they are not going to be as durable as a waterproof Unit,but ..Oh well..15 Oz is pretty much perfect too..Compared them with my father In-law 8x40 Minolta WP-FP,and Of course ,I miss the extra brightness ..and I like to look at stars too,so the Zens are back in my mind,because 7X is now my favorite(I like the steady feel,the smaller aperture that they need to get bright and the fact that they pretty much resolve as much as 8X),,,The minoltas I have been looking throuhg ,have a 8.2 degrees FOV and considerable edge distortion in the 25-30 % outer edge..Thats OK,but more than that is going to bother me..
How do the ZEN 7x36 holds in that respect?..I also want to see a clean Field Stop,and I use glasses...Eye relief should be plenty..Right?

Steve if it helps I understand what you are saying. I would never say anything bad about something if I had never seen, used or looked through the item. One look through is not enough, try an item for a while.;) Do not be too fast to judge.
Regards,Steve

mayoayo,

I actually have all three binoculars in your post. I really do like the 7x26 B&L, and pretty well agree with your take.

I was just looking at Jupiter and its moons last night with all three. You are right, the 7x26 is pretty well outclassed by the others there. The moons are much more clearly defined in the view with the Eaglet or the ZEN. The ZEN is also a bit sharper in definition of the moons than is the Eaglet, but each define the planet itself about the same, and not quite as sharp a ball as the 8x or 10x ZEN.

I am not a wearer of glasses when using binoculars, but I do try to use each a little with my reading glasses or with sunglasses to get some sort of feel on how they work. If you were OK with the Eaglet on eye relief, the ZEN should be OK, or maybe a bit better.

I was fine with the Eaglets,and the little Elite 7x26 have plenty
,in terms of ER..How about edge distortion?..and Sweet spot size?..I used to own the 7x42 discovery and Didnt like the small sweet spot and fuzzy 75% of the FOV...By the way,and talking about the Discovery..The discovery's sweet spot changed size from close focus to infinity..have you noticed this in the ZEn's( or other binoculars)?...
Steve..If you like the Custom B&L 7x26,You must try the Custom ELITE ..Is quite better in optic quality ,compared with previous versions..Much better contrast..Much better... and sharper..I wonder if they use larger prisms ,or heavier(they weight 2 oz more than previous versions)glass..

mayoayo,

I actually have all three binoculars in your post. I really do like the 7x26 B&L, and pretty well agree with your take.

I was just looking at Jupiter and its moons last night with all three. You are right, the 7x26 is pretty well outclassed by the others there. The moons are much more clearly defined in the view with the Eaglet or the ZEN. The ZEN is also a bit sharper in definition of the moons than is the Eaglet, but each define the planet itself about the same, and not quite as sharp a ball as the 8x or 10x ZEN.

I am not a wearer of glasses when using binoculars, but I do try to use each a little with my reading glasses or with sunglasses to get some sort of feel on how they work. If you were OK with the Eaglet on eye relief, the ZEN should be OK, or maybe a bit better.

I'd say the useable eye-relief in the Zen Ray 7x36 is (roughly) greater than the Leica 8x32 BN, about equal to the Swarovski 8x32 EL, and less than the Zeiss 8x32 FL.

--AP

Thanks, Alexis. In that case I stick to my Leicas for another year. It will be quite allright to bring my reliable BNs on my winter trip to Cameroon :)

Another Question about the Zen 7X...
When looking at the picture of the 7x36 in the zen site,I see that the ocular is flushed with the top of the eyecup,and the ring(metal?) around the ocular glass,is exposed..In the 8x43 ZEN first version that I use to own,the eyecup extended a couple of mm,so no contact between the metal rim and eyeglasses was possible..Can anyone tell me if this is a possible problem with the Zen 7x36...thanks

mayoayo,

mayoayo

There is no difference in the amount of ocular ring extending above the ocular glass. That ocular ring is made with a bit more gradual bevel, but is no closer to the glass that I can see. The eye cup itself is a different matter. There was a change in the eye cup design sort of at the 12th hour and the with the eye cup collapsed, the upper surface of the eye cup is about 1.5mm or so closer to the glass. This lets eye glass wearers get closer to the ocular lens, but still prevents actual contact of the eye glass with either the ocular ring or the ocular lens.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back