• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Zoom SSH-6 Stereo Shotgun Microphone (1 Viewer)

iveljay

I only have the SGH-6, which is a straight shotgun version.

The SSH-6 is really quite a bit different as its a bit of a hyped up mid-side mic with effectively a mono shotgun input being merged with the stereo inputs from the side mics. Amazon UK has a review of this by a competent sounding purchaser. He has mixed feelings. Apparently the H-5 and presumeably the H-6 need to be running v 2.0 firmware, since it came out in 2015, most folks probably are.

I was going to get the cable that lets you detach the microphone from the recorder and mount it on a shockmount grip, but realised that the volume control goes with it.

I actually quite like the idea of the SSH-6 but for me it would be for other uses than wildlife.

Unfortunately the need for using the SGH-6 mounted directly onto my H5 hasn't really materialised since I got it, partly due to a massive cut back in my normal activities since the CV19 outbreak with other things filling my time, so I am not qualified to comment on it. My first impression was that you might find it frustrating if you looked at it as an ME66 substitute, but thats hardly definitive!

Anyway its less frustrating than the version of Zooms website I get in the UK (it may be the same worldwide) that is doubtlessly designed by a marketing department that has no regard for anyone trying to find out any facts and is probably helping Tascam sales greatly! Its very pretty or something!!!!

Buyer reviwers elsewhere stste that the SSH-6 is that it records quite a wide angle compared to longer shotguns, but its users have uses where this does not matter. For the more popular SGH-6 folks rate it as a close to medium range shotgun useful for say journalism or video with one reviewer saying that its not really for birds. Whether he has actually tried using it for birds seems doubtful.

Sorry I can't be much help on this one, but thanks for reminding me to get it out sometime.

Last edited:

Peter Ericsson

I haven't got around using my H5 that much. Been a bit intimidated with the controls. Coming from LS12 it is a lot harder to quickly delete or quickly listen to your recording. The speaker is horrible to say the least.
I will use it for proper recordings when on my own and for post processing. It definitely is not suitable for instant play back. So I still need that little Sony recorder at some point. Ha!

mjh73

I haven't got around using my H5 that much. Been a bit intimidated with the controls. Coming from LS12 it is a lot harder to quickly delete or quickly listen to your recording. The speaker is horrible to say the least.
I will use it for proper recordings when on my own and for post processing. It definitely is not suitable for instant play back. So I still need that little Sony recorder at some point. Ha!

On mine if I want instant playback I just hit play once I have finished recording and it plays back the most recently recorded sound file :-|

buzzard12

Hi Peter,

A quick reply. Both the Zoom SSH and SGH shotgum microphones are reasonable, but I would think the seenheiser is a much better option. I have been using the SGH for a while as a portable option with the Zoom Hn1, which has been fine.

It does not deal well with wind noise, my only gripe...

iveljay

Ignore the speaker, use lightweight headphones, needed for accurately aiming a shotgun anyway. If you don't you will end up as I did once with a couple having a furious argument and no bird! Simply pointing it at the sound source that gives the biggest deflection didn't work. Where I was sitting I had the mic elevated on a boom, at ground level the 'happy' couple were inaudible.
The more directional the microphone, the more getting the aim right is important. Not at all portable, but on more than one occasion a photo tripod came in useful for staying locked on.

iveljay

I think, that for me, the SSH microphone would only be used for location video work. In the pre-covid days for scene setting where its particular mix of local ambient mixed with a short shotgun to concentrate on a subject would work with a slow zoom from wide to a close up would work well.
For what most of the birding community are looking for the Sennheiser is a better choice.
Whatever, the H5 is worth persisting with despite its speaker.

Aladdin

Thailand
I think, that for me, the SSH microphone would only be used for location video work. In the pre-covid days for scene setting where its particular mix of local ambient mixed with a short shotgun to concentrate on a subject would work with a slow zoom from wide to a close up would work well.
For what most of the birding community are looking for the Sennheiser is a better choice.
Whatever, the H5 is worth persisting with despite its speaker.
Thank you!

I learned something new! I was recording a Red-footed Booby yesterday using my ZOOM H5. When I was ready I put the recorder in my pocket and when I brought it out again I could not turn it on again. So i will have to buy a new. Browsing for a new H5 I discovered a SSH 6 ZOOM microphone. I decided to try and I will buy this one for my ZOOM H5.

The reason to buy the SSH 6 is because of the wind noise, I hope to avoid the wind noise with only the small opening in front. But as I understand it from Buzzard12, I will be disappointed regarding the wind noise

But reading your post and I am doubtful again. I carry a lot of things when I go birding and my belt is full. I cannot carry I tripod as well. I have used the original microphone for my H5 and it have worked well.

What do you think, will it be wort the money to buy the SSH 6, I hope to get some practice and training. And I will invest in a pair of lightweight headphones to see if this will help me. Otherwise I love my H5 and it have done the job.

Thanks again and happy birding
Aladdin

iveljay

I have no experience of the SSH6, I personally think that one video assignment I carried out a few years ago would have benefitted for one shot allowing me to fade from ambient merry making to just a speaker. I have yet to think of any really practical use that this would be for normal bird recording, it will certainly be as prone to wind noise, probably more so since you are in effect using three microphones, a stereo pair and a short shotgun.
As ever, someone, somewhere, may have found a bird related use for it that justifies its cost, but my own personal view was to save my money.
Out of interest I would like to hear from anyone that has practical experience of the thing, but I suspect they will not have a bird related use for it.

Users who are viewing this thread