- Contopus pertinax
Pale lower mandible is important for recognizing this bird but may not be easy to see or photograph.
There are 2 subspecies:
- C. p. pertinax (pallidiventris):
- C. p. minor:
Desert riparian zone and secondary woodland. Nests in conferous forests
Usually perches near treetops, flying out to catch insects.
Their main diet is insects during the breeding season; otherwise they eat fruits.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, D. Roberson, T. A. Fredericks, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2014. The eBird/Clements checklist of birds of the world: Version 6.9., with updates to August 2014. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- Birdforum thread containing an instructive discussion on the color of the lower mandible of this species
- Handbook of the Birds of the World Alive (retrieved August 2014)
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2023) Greater Pewee. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 24 September 2023 from https://www.birdforum.net/opus/Greater_Pewee