- Francolinus pondicerianus
30–35 cm (11¾-13¾ in)
- Greyish-brown overall plumage with white barring
Introdoced to many countries, including Hawaii.
There are 3 subspecies:
- F. p. mecranensis:
- F. p. interpositus:
- North-western India and Pakistan
- F. p. pondicerianus:
- Southern India and Sri Lanka
Grassland, dry deciduous forest, thorn scrub, edges of cultivation, semi desert, open agricultural fields and wetlands; often near habitations.
Their diet consists of weed and cereal seeds. Also berries and shoots of grass and crops.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, D. Roberson, T. A. Fredericks, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2018. The eBird/Clements checklist of birds of the world: v2018. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- Handbook of the Birds of the World Alive (retrieved May 2015)
- BF Member observations
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2021) Grey Francolin. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 6 March 2021 from https://www.birdforum.net/wiki/Grey_Francolin