• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Names (1 Viewer)

jay1964

Here is a list of bird names that are no longer commonly used. How many of these birds can you identify? Some are easy and they are all on the British list.

1. Wood Pie
2. Curre Pie
3. Goatsucker
4. Land Rail
5. Sea Swallow
6. Windhover
7. Stone Falcon
8. Sea Pie
9. Summer Snipe
10. Sea Snipe
11. White Nun
12. Ember Goose
13. Sea Pheasant
14. Green Plover

Correct anwsers so far

3. Goatsucker = Nightjar
4. Land Rail = Corncrake
5. Sea Swallow = Arctic Tern
6. Windhover = Kestrel
8. Sea Pie = Oystercatcher
11. White Nun = Smew
14. Green Plover = Lapwing

The following still to be identified

1. Wood Pie
2. Curre Pie
7. Stone Falcon
9. Summer Snipe
10. Sea Snipe
12. Ember Goose
13. Sea Pheasant

Hi Surreybirder,
Yes, yes.

Erne, from old Norse Ørn, an eagle (originally any species, but fixed on White-tailed in Britain)

Cuddy Duck, from the familiar name for St. Cuthbert, who gave special protection to the Eiders on the Farne Islands in 676 AD

Michael

Last edited:
What a mine of information you are, Michael!

"stone falcon" and "summer snipe" are both easily found using Google... but I wouldn't want to spoil anyone's fun!!

Last edited:
Micheal
Your right with these
9. Summer Snipe = Common Sandpiper
12. Ember Goose = Great Northern Diver

The remainder are as follows

1. Wood Pie = Greater Spotted Woodpecker
2. Curre Pie = Razorbill
7. Stone Falcon = Merlin
10. Sea Snipe = Dunlin
13. Sea Pheasant = Pintail

Found it in a 1955 book "The Birds of the British Isles - Migration and Habits" by TA Coward. - Thought it might be in there, the spin-off from this is that I am going to read this book. From just glancing at it, it seems beautifully written, with hand-coloured plates and black and white photos of things like the 'eggs of flamingo, Carargue'. Shame I don't know more about the state of play re: bird habits and migration these days as I'm sure there will be lots of differences.

Thanks for the quiz.
Sonia

No takers for Skemmie?

Maybe should be spelled Skemmy, I've never seen it written, only heard it talked about.

Clue: it is a somewhat contemptuous term for a common bird, and is a north-east England regional term.

Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back