• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A few days in Sydney (1 Viewer)

pstraughan

We are spending a few days in Sydney on the way back from New Zealand in late February. I would like to get at least one full day's birding in. Does anyone have any tips for bird locations in the Sydney area? We probably won't go far out of Sydney and may not have a car.

Thanks

Pat

Pat,

I spent a couple of days there in 2002. Stayed right in the centre, within walking distance of the Opera House & bridge. The Botanical Gardens next door to the Opera House are an excellent introduction to Aussie birds - fairy-wrens, parrots - even ibis! It has the added benefit of being beside the harbour, so good for terns - suggest a ferry across to Manly - excellent views of the harbour on the way, but as Manly is on the coast, you have good chances of different stuff there.We also got the ferry across to Taronga Zoo (compromise with non-birding wife), but that, too, was very birdy.

Hope this helps,

Have a great trip.

Mark

Thanks Mark.

As you say, the botanical gardens are brilliant.

My list included Sacred Ibis, Noisy Miner, Sulphur Crested Cockatoo, Magpie Lark, Dusky Moorhen, Spur-winged Plover, Little Pied Cormorant, Little Black Cormorant and Pied Currawong.

And the bats! Thousands of fruit bats in the Gardens. They are destroying the trees. They fly around near the Harbour Bridge at dusk. Spooky!

Pat

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back