• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First visit to NSW/Victoria in Oct/Nov (1 Viewer)

mtar925

I'll be taking my first trip to Australia this coming October 21 - November 5, or thereabouts. This will be my first big trip with birds as a focus, and I'd appreciate your advice!

I'll be spending a couple of days in Sydney, my port of entry. With limited time, I wonder what are the one or two spots you'd suggest visiting in that season? In the immediate Sydney area - I may not have a car.

From Sydney I'll be driving (in a shared car) about 3 hours inland for a few nights of stargazing, at a farmstay near Binda. By day I'll look for local birds right around our accommodation but wonder if there are very good spots nearby, that would be worth arranging transportation to visit. Is there a birding club that covers this region, with a website I might consult, or contact?

After sharing the car back to Sydney I'll fly to Melbourne. A friend has recently relocated there, and after seeing the city we're going to take a road trip of a few days around Victoria to explore. I've looked at the generalist travel sites, and found even more interesting spots on the map: the Grampians, Great Otway Park, Dandenong Ranges, Ngarkat and the "Red Bluff Flora and Fauna Reserve" - the last of which I can't find much information about but sure sounds intriguing. Can anyone familiar with Victoria suggest places that would be best to visit in the first week of November? Both for the birds, and for general interest.

Is Birdingpal.org a good way to connect with fellow enthusiasts in Australia?

Thank you! - Matt Tarlach

We have quite a bit of Australian members so hopefully you should get some good suggestions.

Have a GREAT time Matt!

Hi Matt

October /November is a good time of year as it's warming up but not too hot and usually lots of bird activity.
I am a UK expat myself, based in Ballarat just west of Melbourne.
I did previously live east near the Dandenongs too.

The Dandenongs should be good for a selection of temperate rainforest birds - it's a great spot for Superb Lyrebirds amongst other things. It can get a bit busy with visitors but there are a few quieter spots nearby that are more bird (and birder!) friendly.

Otways is a great spot, and the Great Ocean Road is a visitor must do for the spectacular scenery. If you can get on the pelagic trip from Port Fairy you can get onto some southern ocean seabirds too.

Grampians I've never found particularly birdy - it's a bit of an isolated volcanic mountain range. But there are still good birds for a visitor. As a place of general interest it's stunning scenery and well worth heading up to some of the lookouts

Ngarkat / Red Bluff you are into mallee country which is some of the remoter parts of the state with some really special birds. Malleefowl, mallee-emuwren, Striated Grasswren, Gilbert's and Red-lored Whistlers, Southern Scrub-robins...Red Bluff seems under visited on ebird, I could be up for an expedition there myself as the habitat looks nice but I reckon most people head to the better known mallee parks nearby.

Depending on you timing and locations I might be able to help out in some locations, or help with contacts more local to where you are heading.

Hi Matt

October /November is a good time of year as it's warming up but not too hot and usually lots of bird activity.
I am a UK expat myself, based in Ballarat just west of Melbourne.
I did previously live east near the Dandenongs too.

The Dandenongs should be good for a selection of temperate rainforest birds - it's a great spot for Superb Lyrebirds amongst other things. It can get a bit busy with visitors but there are a few quieter spots nearby that are more bird (and birder!) friendly.

Otways is a great spot, and the Great Ocean Road is a visitor must do for the spectacular scenery. If you can get on the pelagic trip from Port Fairy you can get onto some southern ocean seabirds too.

Grampians I've never found particularly birdy - it's a bit of an isolated volcanic mountain range. But there are still good birds for a visitor. As a place of general interest it's stunning scenery and well worth heading up to some of the lookouts

Ngarkat / Red Bluff you are into mallee country which is some of the remoter parts of the state with some really special birds. Malleefowl, mallee-emuwren, Striated Grasswren, Gilbert's and Red-lored Whistlers, Southern Scrub-robins...Red Bluff seems under visited on ebird, I could be up for an expedition there myself as the habitat looks nice but I reckon most people head to the better known mallee parks nearby.

Depending on you timing and locations I might be able to help out in some locations, or help with contacts more local to where you are heading.

Thanks for the detailed comments, and offer of referrals!
I have a lot of reading and homework to do as I prepare to book my trip, but will revisit this soon.

Matt

Hello again! Almost 3 months ago you replied kindly to my post about visiting Australia. As planning for my trip moves along, I'm following up to ask for those referrals you mentioned...

After a week in NSW I will be arriving in Melbourne late on 29 October, and departing early on 4 November. I'll be staying with a friend, an American expat who lives on the west side of Melbourne. He and his wife are not birders but enjoy nature, and I'm hoping they'll join me for one or two short excursions into birdy habitat. Could you suggest any spots on the west side of town where a good variety of birds could be seen at that time of year, and which are pleasant to visit for people who aren't especially focused on birds? I use eBird, so if you just have time to mention a few hotspots I could use the app to find them.

I've reviewed your previous suggestions too. The Dandenongs sound interesting, though I read that the area was badly damaged in a major storm a while back. Are there any particular spots you'd suggest visiting within that fairly large area?

My friend is interested in a trip out of town to the Great Ocean Road and the Otways. Are there any particular hotspots in that region you'd suggest for the first week of November? Keeping in mind that I'm a first time visitor, and my friends are not birders - I'd hope to find spots where, in addition to a variety of your typical species a few interesting (read: flashy, exotic-looking!) birds might be seen, and the location has scenic or other appeal to non-birders. Any suggestions for interesting, inexpensive lodging in that region?

I'd welcome any referrals you may have to local guides, in Melbourne or the Otways. The rates of ~$500 per day I've seen online are out of reach, and I doubt my friend would come along for 8 hours of intense birding in any case. But if you know of a good guide who might do a half-day trip - especially someone who's more of a general naturalist than a pure birder - that would be interesting.
If any local clubs or parks are conducting public bird walks I would hope to join them, and would be happy to make a donation for the privilege. But I haven't been able to find any such events happening during my visit.

Thanks for any advice! Feel free to send referrals by private message if that's more appropriate.

Matt Tarlach
Walnut Creek, California

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back