• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eastern Finland in July (1 Viewer)

Hey Folks,

Looks like I will get the chance to spend a few days in Finland this July.
I will be in Hyrynsalmi, about 60 km north of Kajaani.
I have never been there -or anywhere else so far North- and would appreciate advice where to go in the area and what to expect in mid summer.
Any book recommendations (I got the Svensson et al. as field guide), websites etc.

Thanks for you help and advice

UH

Hi!

I am not familiar with the area You are planning to visit. I can not promise, but You might get help by sending email someone to local birding club :)

The webisite of the club is: http://www.birdlife.fi/kly/

The website is Finnish, so some help:

Click "Parhaita lintupaikkoja" - means the best birding places

One good birding area is "Otanmäen lintuvesiallas". You see the map by clicking the name.

By clicking Yhdistys You get some contacts of birding club. The name of chairman is on top of the email-list.

I wish You good luck for contacting the local birders and welcome to Finland.

Jari

Hello,

I can't say anything of Hyrynsalmi itself but in Finland birds are everywhere :). Whooper swans, tufted ducks, common and red-breasted mergansers and different grebes are easy to see on the lakes and on the deep lakes ("kettle holes") you can see black-throat divers. Rowing boat is often helpful to get closer to them, they are less cautious.

Here is a good map you can look through to plan your trips:

http://kansalaisen.karttapaikka.fi/...&cy=7144161&scale=8000000&tool=siirra&lang=FI

If your way goes through Imatra and Joensuu (road 6), you can visit Siikalahti nature reserve at Parikkala (soon after Parikkala there is a turn to the right, the sign on the right side of the road is quite small). It is a good place to watch water birds with a hide and birdwatching tower. That area is also rich with woodcocks, in the first decade of July I saw a lot.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back