• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Disappearing Into Finnair: Finland 2022, birds, butterflies, dragonflies and big predators (1 Viewer)

Farnboro John

This report is dedicated to the staff of Finnair Customer Services who work very hard to look after distressed and sometimes angry passengers.

Very special mention is required for Owen (Pariah) of this parish who, at no notice whatever, supplied me with the information to go hunting for Siberian Jays among other things.

A mention also for Ken M who gave me the idea for the title.

Unlike previous reports I’m not going to do a full day-by-day blow-by-blow as many of the days were family holiday stuff but all the wildlife will get an account. Plenty of pix too.

Preamble:

After much discussion within the family we came up with a three-phase holiday in Finland. My brother Dave’s wife Taru is Finnish and she has family on whom we parked ourselves for much of the time. I am grateful for their generosity and their friendly company even with those for whom communication was almost impossible due to the language barrier.

Phase One: a week in summer cottages by a lake not far from a village called Sarkisalmi, itself not very far from an excellent Finnish nature reserve called Siikalahti.

Phase Two: a week in Taru’s parents’ house and summer cottage some twenty miles outside Savonlinna.

Phase Three: (just me) four nights bear-watching with fingers crossed for other stuff at Wild Brown Bear Oy’s Bear Centre East of Kuhmo about 2 km from the Russian border. A night at each end to recover after driving up and before driving down to Helsinki to fly home.

Sitting comfortably? Off we go.

Phase Zero.

On the Tuesday morning before the Sunday on which we were due to fly to Finland, I got a text from Finnair. It told me I’d been bumped off the flight.

I rang Dave to warn him in case he was in the same difficulty, but neither he nor any member of his family nor, for that matter, my wife who was on the same booking as them, were affected.

Just me. Because, of course, coming back on a different day I was on a separate booking.

Several increasingly desperate calls to Finnair Customer Services obtained sympathy (and a feeling from them that they had cocked up, because they hadn’t noticed that we all had the same name and were a group, which was what they were prioritizing for travel given the passenger cap at Heathrow.) But no change to their decision.

Abandoning that line of argument I did a quick Google and established that all the alternative direct flights to Helsinki seemed to be booked solid. The only thing I could find was a route Southampton – Edinburgh – Helsinki – Tampere and business class at that. Desperate times, desperate measures: I booked it and then rang Finnair Customer Services. I could imagine the rolling eyes at the far end but I just informed them of my new purchase and that I was getting off at Helsinki not going to Tampere, so I wanted my bag back at Helsinki. They said OK. I changed my hire car pick up from Sunday to Monday.

Phase One: 24 July, Sunday 1

Notwithstanding these revised arrangements I spent a miserable week still convinced everything was going to go wrong and was still somewhat stressed when I waved Maz off for her direct flight early Sunday morning: I had to wait to get a train to Southampton in the afternoon, then fly Loganair (Finnair’s “partner” for the route) to Edinburgh, spend the night in a hotel then fly to Helsinki Monday morning.

John

25 July, Monday 1

By the time I was strapped into the Embraer E190 for Helsinki I was feeling more cheerful, although by then the Tampere leg had been cancelled, with a replacement bus service I had no intention of using.

That cheerfulness lasted till my hold bag failed to turn up on the carousel at Helsinki airport. At this point one of those strange things that happen to birders occurred: another couple of British passengers noticed not only that I was looking a bit fed up but also that I was behung with birding gear, and asked me if I knew Barry Reed – which I do a little bit! What are the odds? They told me he was over for the same wedding they were going to, and that they were on the same flight as me because they’d been bumped off their direct one too. I wished everyone a good wedding and stay in Finland.

I reported the absence of bag to the Finnair help desk and asked them point-blank if there was anything at all they could do right now. No, which was what I’d expected.

No point hanging about then, I’d given them a delivery address so off I went to get my hire car, feeling once again strangely cheerful: my bag went adrift on a tour of Namibia and caught me up in four days. This is Western Europe: how hard can it be? Anyway, I had a couple of spare sets of clothes in Marion’s case and all – absolutely all – my birding gear was in my hand luggage or about my person in my waistcoat of pockets. I might get a bit smelly but I could continue wildlife watching.

The cheerfulness was slightly rocked by the news they were giving me an automatic but I’ve driven them before and I just wanted to get on the road. Once on the road of course I wasn’t so sure, trying to stay on the route by satnav while learning the Finnish signage and looking out for both marauding traffic and cameras until I at least discovered how fast I was supposed to be going….

Actually, driving in Finland at least once you are away from Helsinki is an awesome experience, there’s nobody on the roads, which are very good. There seemed to be a lot more dual carriageway than thirteen years before and I made reasonable time to my agreed RV with my brother. As their gang had overnighted at Savonlinna on the way to Sarkisalmi our arrival actually only differed by a few hours and lo! holiday back on track.

En route and then during the evening I racked up a few birds: Hooded Crows were everywhere in numbers, the odd Magpie showed occasionally. White Wagtails feed on any road surface that isn’t motorway and heavily trafficked; Blackbirds whiz across between forests. Jackdaws haunt towns and villages, Ospreys soar over lakes, Common Terns and Common Gulls fly around the margins of them. I had a Honey Buzzard loom over the road at one point: it took me a while to figure that one out while I was driving.

Identifiable roadkill amounted to Red Fox, Mountain Hare and Raccoon Dog.

Once I was with the gang at the accommodation it was almost immediately dinner time and while we were eating outdoors (I had three weeks to get used to the great smell of DEET), a Field Vole scurried from woodland edge to its hole by a mostly buried rock in the lawn and disappeared down it. The nearby lake had a Great Crested Grebe on it, half a dozen Curlew flew over towards a presumed roost site and a Woodpigeon crashed out of a tree into flight (in both senses) as I advanced down to the lake shore.

By the time we’d had a few relaxing beers and caught up on events it was 2330 and barely darkish as we retired for the night.

26 July Tuesday 1

I woke early – in truth I hadn’t slept all that well. Besides, it was time to discover what was in the garden. Actually I didn’t immediately see much but registered a Common Tern on the jetty railings, a pair of Great Crested Grebes, and a female Goldeneye before the first bit of a wave of feeding passerines came crashing through at some speed. There were loads of Willow Warblers (this was the situation across Finland) at least two broods of Pied Flycatchers with their parents, a Great Tit and at least one Spotted Flycatcher. Onto the gravel track past the summer cottage down to the jetty came a horde of juvenile White Wagtails with a couple of adults. Higher in the trees Siskins and Chaffinches mainly seemed to be pulling caterpillars off leaves. But nothing really exotic, though the abundance of birds that are now elusive in Britain was pleasing.

Then Marion drew my attention to a family of Great Spotted Woodpeckers that commenced hammering at dead branches. I see plenty of these but I kept looking at one after another until, lighting upon another the same size – what? Hang about…. In place of the big white shoulder flashes I expected was a ladder of white bars surmounted by a shapeless blotch of the same colour. Red cap. Juvenile White-backed Woodpecker in the garden – now that is a result! I grabbed the camera quickly and managed to get a few shots off as it maddeningly ascended a tree trunk partly obscured by leaves hanging from above. This was our only sighting the entire holiday so it was just as well I did.

The sun came out later and the garden was filled with Yellow-winged Darters and Brown Hawkers. In the afternoon I skulked off to Siikalahti and had great fun sorting out Yellow-winged, Vagrant and Ruddy Darters, but the dragonfly of the day was Yellow-spotted Emerald which was a tick (I’ve had all the others in Britain thanks to 1995). There were Northern Damselflies and Common Hawkers about as well. Bird-wise the best were a pair of Ospreys and a Hobby.

John

White-backed Woodpecker X 2
Common Tern
White Wagtail
Great Spotted Woodpecker

20220726 (2)_White-backed_Woodpecker.JPG20220726 (3)_White-backed_Woodpecker.JPG20220726 (4)_Common_Tern.JPG20220726 (5)_White_Wagtail.JPG20220726 (7)_Great_Spotted_Woodpecker.JPG

27 July Wednesday 1

Family trip to Lappeenranta. Dave drove, so I was free to wildlife watch. I had an Elk (Moose to transatlantic readers) down a forest ride but nothing else of note. It did seem a little that the Lappeenranta locals wished to take the mick out of me for still needing Saimaa Seal.
20220727 (2)_Saimaa_Seal_Sand_Sculpture.JPG20220727 (9)_Saimaa_Seal_Wood_Sculpture.JPG20220727 (10_Swift).JPG20220727 (11)_Common_Gull.JPG20220727 (12)_Jackdaw.JPG20220727 (15)_Evening_at_the_lake.JPG
Lappeenranta:
Saimaa Seal Sand Sculpture
Saimaa Seal Woodcarving
Swift
Common Gull
Jackdaw

Back home by the lake

28 July Thursday 1

Morning garden watch and flippin eck there’s a Thrush Nightingale at the edge of the lawn. Maz! Tick for you! (Too quick for my camera.)

Siikalahti again in the afternoon, this time with the family. To my astonishment another Great White Egret in the marshes. Consultation with BF members that evening reveals they have thundered North into the area over the last few years. One of my nephew Max’s ambitions has been to see a live Adder in Finland and he achieves this when I find a nice black-and-silver male by the boardwalk well out along the dry peninsula poking out into very wet wetland. Unfortunately it was well warmed up and shot off before I got a decent pic, just a shot of its tail heading off….. Plenty of Common Lizards basking on the boardwalk. It’s just like Thursley apart from the bugling Cranes and distant soaring White-tailed Eagles towards the Russian border. And the Red-necked Grebes in summer plumage in the distant open water. And a rather different array of dragons.

Back at the cottage I found a couple of juvenile Common Rosefinches – the first I’ve ever found abroad – and got a few photos of them. What I didn’t get photos of was a Barred Warbler that repeatedly shot across between patches of deep cover such as brambles.

Family at Siikalahti
Osprey
Goldeneye juvenile
Whooper Swan X 2
Osprey

20220728 (3)_Maz_Taru_Dave_and_Max.JPG20220728 (6)_Osprey.JPG20220728 (8)_Goldeneye.JPG20220728 (12)_Whooper_Swan.JPG20220728 (14)_Whooper_Swan.JPG20220728 (16)_Osprey.JPG

28 July Thursday 1

Morning garden watch and flippin eck there’s a Thrush Nightingale at the edge of the lawn. Maz! Tick for you! (Too quick for my camera.)

Siikalahti again in the afternoon, this time with the family. To my astonishment another Great White Egret in the marshes. Consultation with BF members that evening reveals they have thundered North into the area over the last few years. One of my nephew Max’s ambitions has been to see a live Adder in Finland and he achieves this when I find a nice black-and-silver male by the boardwalk well out along the dry peninsula poking out into very wet wetland. Unfortunately it was well warmed up and shot off before I got a decent pic, just a shot of its tail heading off….. Plenty of Common Lizards basking on the boardwalk. It’s just like Thursley apart from the bugling Cranes and distant soaring White-tailed Eagles towards the Russian border. And the Red-necked Grebes in summer plumage in the distant open water. And a rather different array of dragons.

Back at the cottage I found a couple of juvenile Common Rosefinches – the first I’ve ever found abroad – and got a few photos of them. What I didn’t get photos of was a Barred Warbler that repeatedly shot across between patches of deep cover such as brambles.

Family at Siikalahti
Osprey
Goldeneye juvenile
Whooper Swan X 2
Osprey

View attachment 1500228View attachment 1500229View attachment 1500230View attachment 1500231View attachment 1500232View attachment 1500233
Poor Dave looks knackered!

29 July Friday 1

Garden day. Dave cut the lawn (this is a holiday, right?) destroying a number of Field Vole runs from their burrows to the wild habitat at the edge and therefore rendering better view likely for the rest of the week. We were also briefly overrun with de-homed Common Frogs but at least none went through the lawnmower.

Suddenly we were summoned to lunch with Taru’s sister – my case had arrived! Yayy… we actually met the family later for the evening meal: Reindeer pizza in Parikkala. Delicious.

Photos:

Common Terns bonding over a fish (Last one from previous evening)
Common Frog wondering where the long grass has gone
Field Vole at max chat

20220728 (37)_Common_Tern.JPG20220729 (1)_Common_Frog.JPG20220729 (2)_Field_Vole.JPG

30 July Saturday 1

Family day, brief views of a juvenile Thrush Nightingale in the garden and two Marsh Harriers during an off road drive with Dave in the afternoon the only wildlife, but a visit to a local sculpture park provided a bit of culture. The sculptor had been somewhat traumatised by his experiences as a child during the Winter and Continuation Wars, and this is the result: many weird concrete on metal frame painted figures gradually taking on forest hues over time.

Photos:

Juvenile Robin in the garden
Sculpture park, including Marion turning one area into an immersive interactive installation.....!

20220730 (2)_Robin.JPG20220730 (6)_Sculpture_Park.JPG20220730 (8)_Sculpture_Park.JPG20220730 (9)_Sculpture_Park.JPG20220730 (10)_Sculpture_Park.JPG

A few more. This was a very odd place but strangely affecting. The second pic reminds me of Bill Nighe for some reason..... The seated figure with the spade is a self-portrait late in the project and if it is to be trusted it looks like he eventually achieved some inner peace.

After that we stopped at a layby with a well-known cafe and equally well-known border warning sign.

Back at the cottage I found a Field Vole munching on vegetation in the overhanging wild edge of the lawn.

20220730 (16)_Sculpture_Park.JPG20220730 (18)_Sculpture_Park.JPG20220730 (21)_Sculpture_Park.JPG20220730 (22)_Border_Zone_Sign.JPG20220730 (27)_Field_Vole.JPG

31 July Sunday 2

Finally got pictures of Thrush Nightingale (I've no idea about the age of the bird(s) in the photos), a last visit to Siikalahti yielded slightly better views of Crane and 2 Great White Egrets plus a distant Honey Buzzard. Then we all made the journey to Taru’s parents’ place outside Savonlinna where Maz and I once again took over the summer cottage by the lake.

Photos:

Thrush Nightingale
Juvenile Pied Flycatcher
Juvenile White Wagtail
Juvenile Blue Tit
Thrush Nightingale

20220731 (4)_Thrush_Nightingale.JPG20220731 (8)_Pied_Flycatcher.JPG20220731 (12)_White_Wagtail.JPG20220731 (16)_Blue_Tit.JPG20220731 (17)_Thrush_Nightingale.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back