• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which scope is better for an eyeglass/spectacles wearer... (1 Viewer)

AsterixnObelix

I have browsed through a lot of the threads and as a result, the Nikon Ed has dropped to the bottom of my list of scopes that I am researching as a potential buy. The reason for that is, I wear glasses and it seemed the Nikon was not favored among eye glass/spectacles wearers.

Since, I am based in NY. Yesterday, I ventured to the B&H store and tried to take a look at the scopes that I am interested in. It was not easy, as none of the ones I have listed were on tripods and so I was basically trying to do the viewing by hand. Of the four, I was only able to look at the Zeiss and the Swarovski. The Nikon was out of stock and I did not get a chance to look at the Kowa 883 as the counter got busy.

Both the Zeiss and the Swarovski felt nice and I could see myself at the Jamaica Bay west pond checking out the Spring visitors. Good thing, I held my zest in check and safely walked out the store without making that impulsive buy.

I am interested in getting some feedback on what would work best for someone who wears glasses, also places that may have good prices and which of these models come with additional accessories, such as a wearable case etc..

Two on-line sites that I am looking at are OpticsPlanet and Amazon. Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

The Candidates:

1. Zeiss Diascope 85 T* FL Spotting Scope (Angled)

2. 883: Kowa TSN-883 Spotting Scope (Angled)

3. Swarovski HD-ATS80 scope (Angled)

4. Nikon Fieldscope ED 25-75x82 (Angled)

I have the Kowa 883. I wear eyeglasses and the eye relief is perfect for my purposes. I have never had the desire to remove my spectacles no matter where I am in the zoom range. I used to have a Vortex Skyline and it was good in the lower zoom range, but I did prefer to remove my glasses when zooming in. However, people have different facial structures as well as different glasses, so others may have different experiences.

As for places to buy online, Bear Basin Outfitters has good prices on Kowa scopes and a good reputation. Eagle Optics has a good reputation but somewhat higher prices on the Kowa when I bought mine. Someone reported that SWA had the lowest prices on the Kowa scopes, at least a while back. Some of these places will price match, but I prefer not to do that if possible because by doing that you actually reward the vendors who keep prices high by buying from them rather than from the vendor who is being customer friendly by keeping prices low. I would also prefer to purchase from wherever I actually viewed a scope, but since they did not even bother to put your scopes on a tripod at B&H, I guess I would not feel very obligated towards them.

My two cents,
Jim

Thanks for the feedback Jim. Regarding B&H...I was surprised that they would not offer to put or have the scopes on a tripod. It was not easy trying to test the scopes at the counter with folks constantly getting in the way, even though I positioned myself to one end to avoid customers. From what I observed with other customers, you had better do your research before walking into that store.

I have taken a look at the Bear Basin site and they have some neat packages...so a big thank you for sharing this bit of information. This is definitely a place I would consider once I have settled on the model.

Regards,

Andrew

I recently purchased the Zeiss Diascope 85T*FL and am quite pleased with the eye relief (I too wear eyeglasses). I was considering the Nikon Fieldscope 82MM ED and, after reading many of the postings by Nikon owners, resigned myself to the fact that if I purchased that scope I would also be in the market for an eye piece that offered better eye relief.

Some good prices can be found on the net right now for Zeiss scopes without LotuTec coating as many stores are trying to clean out their inventory for new stock. Also, I noticed that many sellers were sold out of the Nikon Fieldscopes 82MM ED. One advantage that you may have with an on-line purchase is that you can avoid NY State and NYC sales tax.

Like many other people on birdforum, I went through Eagle Optics and was pleased with giving them my money (within five minutes of making the on-line purchase they telephoned to confirm the order and to give me an expected arrival date - this on top of the internet confirmation).

Along with optics planet and binoculars.com, I noticed that authorized optics (a.k.a. better optics) also had some very competitive prices. However, I cannot address what it's like to do business with them.

Good luck with your purchase.

Thanks for the feedback Jim. Regarding B&H...I was surprised that they would not offer to put or have the scopes on a tripod. It was not easy trying to test the scopes at the counter with folks constantly getting in the way, even though I positioned myself to one end to avoid customers. From what I observed with other customers, you had better do your research before walking into that store.

I have taken a look at the Bear Basin site and they have some neat packages...so a big thank you for sharing this bit of information. This is definitely a place I would consider once I have settled on the model.

Regards,

Andrew

Andrew, With you being located in New York area, you could check out Doug at Camera Land Inc. There are others that post on here that have bought optics etc. off them and have been satisfied. I bought a Pentax K100D Super off them and just about everybody else had this camera on back order and I was glad they had this on stock. This was while Pentax had the $100 rebate. You could find out what they have there and if you can use a tripod etc. Or if you don't mind driving 180+ miles you could go here.http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=99221 ;) Forgot to say I have no ties with this shoe shop other than I would like to buy everything in there.:)
Good luck with all this.:)
Regards,Steve

Last edited:
Andrew, With you being located in New York area, you could check out Doug at Camera Land Inc. There are others that post on here that have bought optics etc. off them and have been satisfied. I bought a Pentax K100D Super off them and just about everybody else had this camera on back order and I was glad they had this on stock. This was while Pentax had the $100 rebate. You could find out what they have there and if you can use a tripod etc. Or if you don't mind driving 180+ miles you could go here.http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=99221 ;) Forgot to say I have no ties with this shoe shop other than I would like to buy everything in there.:)
Good luck with all this.:)
Regards,Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for sharing the link. Man, would I love to have a store like that around where I live. The outdoor shot of the scope on the tripod...now, that is how scopes should be presented for customers viewing. I really appreciate you taking the time out to share your experience and information.

Regards,
Andrew

I recently purchased the Zeiss Diascope 85T*FL and am quite pleased with the eye relief (I too wear eyeglasses). I was considering the Nikon Fieldscope 82MM ED and, after reading many of the postings by Nikon owners, resigned myself to the fact that if I purchased that scope I would also be in the market for an eye piece that offered better eye relief.

Some good prices can be found on the net right now for Zeiss scopes without LotuTec coating as many stores are trying to clean out their inventory for new stock. Also, I noticed that many sellers were sold out of the Nikon Fieldscopes 82MM ED. One advantage that you may have with an on-line purchase is that you can avoid NY State and NYC sales tax.

Like many other people on birdforum, I went through Eagle Optics and was pleased with giving them my money (within five minutes of making the on-line purchase they telephoned to confirm the order and to give me an expected arrival date - this on top of the internet confirmation).

Along with optics planet and binoculars.com, I noticed that authorized optics (a.k.a. better optics) also had some very competitive prices. However, I cannot address what it's like to do business with them.

Good luck with your purchase.

Hi JSO,

Thanks for the feedback. I have checked out Eagle Optics, but they appear to be out of stock of just the items I am looking at. One thing I am tussling with is the whole warranty item. Of the three scopes that I am now down to, the swarovski has a lifetime warranty; in addition, from what I have read their customer service seems unmatched. Not sure how Kowa and Zeiss would compare against.

Regards,
Andrew

Andrew,

Just passing along some of the things I learned in my research.

If it's any help to your research, Zeiss provides a limited lifetime transferable warranty for scopes purchased in North America (non gray market). Zeiss' website provides information on the warranty (http://www.zeiss.com).

You can read experiences from members obtaining warranty service on the Zeiss binocular forum.

Cheers,

JSO

Hi Steve,

Thanks for sharing the link. Man, would I love to have a store like that around where I live. The outdoor shot of the scope on the tripod...now, that is how scopes should be presented for customers viewing. I really appreciate you taking the time out to share your experience and information.

Regards,
Andrew

Hello Andrew, Yes this is a nice store. If you are interested in Camera Land they have some demos and I am sure they would let you try them out.Here is a link. http://www.cameralandny.com/demos.html
Regards,Steve BTW I don't have any ties [including shoe strings] :) to this store either just trying to help.
Regards,Steve

I wear glasses and it seemed the Nikon was not favored among eye glass/spectacles wearers.
I am interested in getting some feedback on what would work best for someone who wears glasses,

The chart showing comparative eye point curves for zoom oculars on this Dutch language optics testing site is instructive, even without the text. The newest Kowa EP eye relief curve is in red. The Swarovski is a top performer above 30x in this regard.

http://www.tvwg.nl/

Testrapporten > Telescopen > Kowa TSN-773 & 883> (scroll down)

Norm P
Massachusetts, USA

I have greater eye-relief issues than most people, it seems, and I've found nothing better than the Swarovski with the 30x eyepiece. A beautiful unobstructed view, edge to edge. Their 45x is almost as good--just a bit of tunneling for me. The 20x is rather worse, to the extent that I wouldn't consider buying it. The zoom is good at 20x, variable at higher powers, but quite adequate for general use. I've tried other people's Leica, Kowa, and Zeiss scopes in the field with various combinations of eyepieces--probably not every possible combination--and have found nothing to induce buyer's remorse. One can quibble about optical quality, but the Swaro gives the best view for eyeglass-wearers.

My wife wears eyeglasses and she is a lifetime Nikon camera & binocular owner. When we decided to get a large spotting scope and tried all the different brands at the beginning we had every intention of purchasing the Nikon scope but in the end it didn't turn out that way. She much preferred the Swarovski eyepieces for viewing through. An individual definitely needs to check these items out themselves for everyone is different but still today she likes the ease of the Swaro View.
Greg

Thanks eyeryone...I got my scope :)

I wanted to return and thank everyone for their feedback, it was very much appreciated. I took the plunge and purchased the Swarovski HD-ATS80 scope (Angled) with the 20-60 eyepiece from Bear Basin. I will do a field test at Jamaica Bay sometime this week.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back