• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Better but smaller options than the Nikon Monarch 60/82ED that can reach 60X? (2 Viewers)

Passakorn

Hello there,

Now I am using both Nikon Monarch (current model) 60ED (straight) and 82ED (angle) scopes with the 20-60X eyepiece. The image from both of them is great. The problem I have is that the 82ED is getting heavy and too big for a casual trip if the main purpose is not bird-watching. I feel that the 60ED gives me only 48X and I would like to get a little more reach to 60X.

I am wondering if I could get a suggestion of the smaller scope that still has at least the same (or better) image quality as the Nikon Monarch and weight less than the 82ED, preferably an angled model. Any comparison with other scopes with these 2 monarchs is highly appreciated.
I am particularly interested in:

Swarovski ATS-65 20-60x (25-50x). I think the ATX65 may be a bit too heavy for this class.
KOWA TSN-66A PROMINAR 25-60X ANGLED
Are there other models in the 60mm range that is worth considering?

Also, how is the image quality at 60X compared to a typical 40-50X for the 60-65mm scope? Is it worth an extra 12X?

Thank you so much,

Passakorn

Hi,

Unfortunately you are asking for the impossible. A scope's potential resolution is dictated by the diameter of the objective lens, so if your Monarch 60ED is a good example (as most allegedly are) anything smaller will be worse.
Added to that, at 60x the exit pupil is a mere 1 mm so you will lose brightness (about 75% if your viewing pupil is 2 mm in bright light) and visual acuity. Bright sunlight, however, is going to result in unstable air and make 60x unusable unless you are viewing from an elevated position or from the water's edge.

I also have two scopes, an ATM 65HD and a Kowa 883, both good examples. From an elevated position in bright sunlight I was able to read 3 mm print at just over 60 m and 60x magnification in both. However, when the target fell into shadow I could still read the print through the Kowa (1,5 mm exit pupil) but no longer at 1,1 mm exit pupil in the Swaro.

John

PS:- If one of those was sufficient for the Spoony, what more could you want? ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the comment, John, last year I was fortunate to see three spoonies at two different sites. Hope we get good luck again this year.
Frankly I am still not sure how much it increases a wow factor from 48x to 60x in real life. Sometimes it is great to have extra 25% bigger image but sometimes it is too dark and too poor image going at 60x.

Hello there,

Now I am using both Nikon Monarch (current model) 60ED (straight) and 82ED (angle) scopes with the 20-60X eyepiece. The image from both of them is great. The problem I have is that the 82ED is getting heavy and too big for a casual trip if the main purpose is not bird-watching. I feel that the 60ED gives me only 48X and I would like to get a little more reach to 60X.

I am wondering if I could get a suggestion of the smaller scope that still has at least the same (or better) image quality as the Nikon Monarch and weight less than the 82ED, preferably an angled model. Any comparison with other scopes with these 2 monarchs is highly appreciated.
I am particularly interested in:

Swarovski ATS-65 20-60x (25-50x). I think the ATX65 may be a bit too heavy for this class.
KOWA TSN-66A PROMINAR 25-60X ANGLED
Are there other models in the 60mm range that is worth considering?

Also, how is the image quality at 60X compared to a typical 40-50X for the 60-65mm scope? Is it worth an extra 12X?

Thank you so much,

Passakorn
Passakorn,

As Tringa45 has perhaps already hinted it might be worth approaching this issue from another direction. How often do you try to use 60X magnification, and how often is the image usable ? I very quickly found the 60X magnification on the Swarovski ATS80 HD I used to own was very rarely usable because the atmospheric conditions were not good enough in UK. Maybe conditions are better more often in Thailand ?

Nothing you buy will better what you already have - As every single Monarch scope Ive seen has been as close to cherry as you could ever want.

Hi Passakorn

I had a similar problem with the weight of the monarch '82, it's not heavy for its class though.

If you don't mind me asking - what tripod and head are you using? I now use mine mostly with a gitzo 1545 and a Siriu va5 head with the handle removed, total weight including the field optics tripod strap I use to carry it all is around 3.5kg. I can walk all day with it and saved over a kilogram from the old tripod and head I was using. Stability isn't rock solid but it's more than useable - the tripods rated to 10kg.

You could maybe use the '60 with a monopod and the fixed nikon eye piece for super light weight when your in the hills or traveling?

Just a thought

Will

Some of the Kowa's are compatible with their 1.6x adapter/multiplier. Worth checking out.

But as others have said, anything over 45x can get messy on a smaller scope. If you want this for those trips that are not solely for birding, then your birdwatching is necessarily compromised. In such circumstances, if it were me (and it often is), I would accept that you can't have everything - personally that means leaving my scope at home and just carrying bins.

Thanks for the comment, John, last year I was fortunate to see three spoonies at two different sites. Hope we get good luck again this year.
Well, Passakorn, the Spoonies are on my bucket list but in my present circumstances no more likely to be fulfilled than a flight in a U2! :(

Enviously,
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back