• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Outback 2004 / 9 (1 Viewer)

birdman

Орнитол&
Well, the weather held out, although the clouds are beginning to roll in as I type. If anything the wind was even stronger than yesterday, but we were able to spend more time (best part of 2½ hours) on the walk this morning.

The list is familiar, but we were able to add three year ticks. One which should be easier to pick up (Wren), on which should now become regular(ish) (Jackdaw) and one that is always difficult to spot for sure (Red-legged Partridge). Fortunately, the RLPs decided to be vocal today, and on the basis of the bird call CD I have, I was able to confirm what I suspected – and indeed suspect every time I see distant “partridges”!

Feral Pigeon also hits the list today. In spite of what I might have said elsewhere on this forum, I, like a lot of birders, am a bit leery about Columba livia. It’s not that unusual to see them, as they occasionally fly over in strict rank and file. Under these circumstances it is obvious to me they are likely to be racing pigeons, and I don’t record them. However, if they touch down, then they become fair game as an outback tick. Today’s flock were exactly that; a flock. No regimented rows and columns, and they were “doing the fields” in much the same way as the Woodpigeons were. Also, they were all “standard” colour, none of your fancy whites and browns.

I know none of these “rules” are definitive, but they serve a purpose for me.

Woodpigeons ruled the roost today, but we also had a much better than usual go at iding a mixed flock of small birds, which turned out to be mostly Chaffinches with a few other small birdies mixed in.

The two best close-ups today were the Kestrel and the Green Woodpecker – brilliant views of both in flight – closely followed by the Greater Spotted Woodpecker.

Plain text = Outback day tick
Bold text = Outback year tick
Bold italic text = Outback life tick

(Number in brackets is highest number of individuals identified at one time)

Starling : 11 (6)
Black-headed Gull : 2 (2)
Pied Wagtail : 1 (1)
Skylark : 5 (2)
Magpie : 6 (5)
Moorhen : 5 (4)
Woodpigeon : 106 (30)
Coot : 3 (2)
Mallard : 6 (6)
Robin : 5 (2)
Collared Dove : 1 (1)
Long-tailed Tit : 23 (19)
Blue Tit : 5 (2)
Blackbird : 7 (2)
Green Woodpecker : 1 (1)
Kestrel : 1 (1)
Red-legged Partridge : 3 (2)
Great Tit : 9 (5)
Carrion Crow : 7 (3)
Wren : 2 (2)
Jackdaw : 4 (4)
Greater Spotted Woodpecker : 1 (1)
Redwing : 1 (1)
Chaffinch : 26 (25)
Feral Pigeon : 29 (29)

Last edited:
Hi there Birdman, why do you say Jackdaw should now become regular-ish ? ... Something to do with the fields ?

I also count feral pigeon, they're common in the town but my patch is just outside and not often seen there.

Hi Carlos,

The Jackdaw seem to come and go... I'm not really sure why. They were around in June last year (didn't really start looking until the end of May) and then remained elusive until October, hanging around until 1st week of December, and nothing since.

I wasn't out as regularly last year, but even so, the spread of dates seems to suggest they come, stay for a while, and then leave. Perhaps with more regular trips, I might be able to build up a bit more information this year.

There seems to be nothing particularly wrong with the habitat, although there is a large area of similar habitat all around, and they may just prefer it somewhere else.

Similarly, no Rooks at all yet, even though I know there are at least two large rook Rookeries within 5 or 6 miles (one of them within 2 miles!).

Carrion Crows seem to like it, as do Magpies.

Thanks for asking by the way, as I've been wondering myself about this, and you've given me the incentive to actually find something out!

Hey Andrew,

Still looking, and I looked real hard today, especially with both Woods and Ferals to check out.

The Woopeckers are great, and I'd love to get the "hat-trick" on a single day, but I'm gonna have to catch LSW again before the leaves show much more, I think!!!

:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back